4.0 out of 5 stars iPhone charging from USB port but not from mains charger
Published 23 months ago by Balin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but does NOT work with 1A iPhone charger
Pros:
The cables themselves are quite chunky and look like they are well made.
They do actually work with USB3.0 and older devices.

Cons:
They're quite stiff and refuse to stay straight or lay flat.
They do not work as iPhone/iPad Mini charge cables with the lower output chargers, i.e. the standard Apple 1A chargers. They do work with the...
Published 5 months ago by M Henning

4.0 out of 5 stars iPhone charging from USB port but not from mains charger, 4 July 2013
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable 3 m / 9.8 Feet (Personal Computers)
I bought this extension for an external hard drive which I use with a late 2007 white MacBook that is USB 2.0 only. After running benchmark tests it seems like the transfer speed is not affected and everything works just as fine as with its original 3ft cable. Then I tried extending the factory USB-30pin cable of my iPhone 4s and it charges just fine from the MacBook and iTunes recognizes the device. However, for some reason the mains charger will not charge the iPhone through this cable so that's a bit of a downer because I was looking into ordering another one just for this purpose. It might be the cable length or the fact that it's USB 3. So for people who would buy this to extend their iPhone cable from their mains charger, look elsewhere, maybe try 2m ones! Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 6 Dec. 2013
Mr. S. Trinh - See all my reviews
a lot of these extensions are slow to transmit power or data. but this one is fantastic much faster and better. will be buying these from now on. i used it for my iphone charger. i wanted to extend the cable. this does a fablous job in charging the phone faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and good quality, 6 Jun. 2014
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I had previously purchased a variety of cables from the Amazon Basics brand and had found them to be reliable and usually of better quality than others sold at a similar price and sometimes those of a higher price. Although not always the least expensive, they are superior to the 'budget' products sold by some, far more reliable and fairly priced for the performance they provide.

There aren't many alternatives in this length and there was no hesitation in making the purchase.

Recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable. It's well made. It works., 20 April 2013
The amazon basics cables all seem to be very well made - sturdier than most of the ones you get with products. This is no exception, and apart from that what else is there to say? It works fine and transfer speeds don't seem to suffer from the long cable run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, good delivery, good performance, and apparently well made. Too soon to report durability., 17 Sept. 2014
I ordered two because my PC (running linux) and my wife's PC (running windows 7) both have USB3.0 sockets only at the back where there are not at all convenient to use. The cables effectively bring them round to the side or front, with length to spare.

The cables were delivered amazingly fast, and in sensible packaging (only cardboard, and wire ties). They seem to be very solid, much thicker than the 12inch cable that came with my WD portable USB3 hard drive. So the cable won't snake tightly round corners, which is fine for me.

Simple testing of the WD on the linux machine suggested that there was no difference in speed between using only the supplied short cable and the short cable plus 2M extension cable (though I did find the Kingston Data G4 32GB USB Flash Drive much slower than the WD hard drive -- to be expected at such a low price I suppose.)

So far I am very satisfied with delivery, performance and price. But It's too soon to evaluate long term reliability, and I know that cables (especially the plugs) can stop working after a few months.

4.0 out of 5 stars AmazonBasics USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (6.5 feet / 2 Metres), 8 Dec. 2013
Mr Fluffy "Greebo" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Well made cable, if a little stiff. I bought two of them and they are really excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is top quality - not basic!, 31 Dec. 2013
M Austin (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very well made, good quality cable that is excellent value for money and works perfectly. The cable is quite stiff, so don't expect to bend it around tight corners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price/value!, 13 Dec. 2013
MarcolinoPT (Portimão, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Great cable with a nice built. Just connect and you're ready to go. Used it with a usb 3.0 pen and works flawlessly and quickly!
Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Well Made Cable with no speed loss, 11 May 2015
I purchased this cable to extend access to my USB 3.0 ports which I only have two of and they are on the back of my very large desktop machine and was sick and tired of having to get on my hands and knees and under my desk to access the ports.

Thanks to this cable and a USB 3.0 hub I now have on desk access for my various USB 3.0 odds and sods such as a few external hard drives and USB thumb drives. If you are reading this I am sure you already know that there is no comparison in speed between USB 2 and 3 it's like night and day and when I buy any USB gear I deliberately make sure it's USB 3.0 as it's super quick compared to the older USB platforms.

I ran various speed tests on my USB ports and then with using this cable and there is no and I mean zero speed loss by using this cable which I was impressed with.

The "basics" part of the name made me think it might be cheap and nasty but it feels and looks very well made and actually feels like a premium product or as premium as a USB cable can be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Value and Quality, 7 April 2014
I bought this because the lead provided with my portable HDD was too short. This has given ample extra wire so that the HDD is now placed out of sight. There has been no discernible effect on transmission rates, so I can find no fault with it.