4.0 out of 5 stars Quality!
These were purchased as a present for my daughter, she was after good headphones and as I already have them in black I already knew they have a great sound and are comfy to wear. I wouldn't by headphones by anyone else now!
Published 9 months ago by Ally Gardiner

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a fashion accessory than a good quality headphone
Having been a musician and a strong headphone enthusiast, owning dozens pairs of high end headphones with matching professional audio interfaces/converters, I wanted to have a extensive test on these Beats Solo HD headphones, and see what the hype is all about.

I first listened to them at various street retailers, but wanted to listen them through a better...
Published on 31 Dec. 2012 by xcesAudio

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and look, 12 Jan. 2014
great gift for teenagers and above.
Not cheap but great quality (starts with the box) and tactile.
We love this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD On-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
So glad I save up the money to buy these they are worth every Pennie , come with a great case to keep them safe , the beat on the music is amazing so much better then regular headphone at least I know theses are going to last for a long while , great to know on the wire that there's a button to answer phone calls and to control the volume and to pause and forward a song or to go back to a song . The black colour looks great

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner, 24 Jun. 2014
Son rarely has them off - got them for an amazing price too - only trouble is he now doesn't always hear me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! !!!, 17 May 2014
Absolutely amazing love them use them for everything. Jogging, gym or just in general one of my best buys x

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype, 31 Oct. 2012
I am on a 25 year (so far) quest for the perfect phones.
I listen to music on the go a lot, several hours a day every day, from the earliest cassette walkman days, through CD & minidisc to the current crop of portable music players. Over that time I have run the gamut of media, players & phones, from cheap & cheerful through the multiplicity of faddy designs attempted over the years, to the high-end pro-quality ridiculously expensive end of the market.

I listen to a vast spectrum of music from many different genres & eras. I value high quality sound & good reproduction, but I do not subscribe to the myth that more expensive = better where equipment is concerned. Consequently, I feel adequately qualified to make a meaningful & impartial judgement on these phones.

They look good, there's no doubt about that. The packaging is impressive, and they seem very robust and well made. They are also very light & comfortable to wear. Not so large & obtrusive that you feel you're walking around with a diving helmet on, but large enough to feel substantial, and cover the ear as they are designed to.
Without owning/using them for a longer period than I'm prepared to do, I can't comment meaningfully on reliability.
If appearances are anything to go by (they aren't) these look very solid, like they would last a long time, and take reasonable punishment in use. As far as appearances go, these are difficult to fault.

Phones are primarily about sound quality though. And I'm afraid on that most important of criteria, these are a big disappointment. I've read lots of reviews on various sites rhapsodizing about how great these phones sound, and I'm afraid I can only assume that these reviewers would not know good sound if it jumped up and bit them. These things are awful. My worst fears were realised. They are massive overblown head-shaking distortion-ridden bass, and nothing else.
Now, I love a fair bit of bass heavy music, and it's not that these things generate too much bass (that I could at least understand, if not live with) . The problem is that there's just nothing else here. Mids are virtually non-existent, and what mids there are are so muddied & muffled it sounds like the musicians are playing in another room, on a different floor elsewhere in the building, with all the intervening doors closed.
Balancing EQ neutral mids in phones is always a crapshoot though. Almost always impossible to predict, so I'll park that one for now. What I cannot understand (or forgive) however is the almost total lack of any top end whatsoever from these phones. Believe me I've tried every different recording & genre I can think of, and have been completely underwhelmed by all of them. Normally, bad or cheap phones will produce too much, or poor quality treble, so to hear none whatsoever in these phones was a big (unwelcome) surprise.

In conclusion, I can only agree with the previous reviewer who took his phones apart to find toy electronics of poor quality. I'm not about to take mine to bits, but that view is certainly borne out by my experience of the sound of these things. It's horrible. They look & feel great, no doubt are worth big cred points on the street with the style over substance brigade, but the sound they produce is laughably poor. There are any number of headphones out there costing a third of the price of these things that simply blow them out of the water sonically.

I have "burned them in" adequately too. Used them daily for a month or so. They loosened up a bit, but it was barely noticeable & they still sounded nothing like as clear, transparent or open as they unquestionably should do at this price point.

It basically boils down to a question of priorities. You can either buy these, or spend 35-40 quid elsewhere & look less cool but enjoy vastly superior sound.

I gave mine away to my teenage nephew & will stick to my £50 Sonys.

1.0 out of 5 stars DR. DRE(eadful Sound Quality), 10 Nov. 2013
My Chinese Girlfriend (bless her gentle heart) saved up and bought these 18 months ago. When I heard them demo-ed in the shop, I thought they sounded 'dull'. Maybe not quite run in. I did a direct comparison with a pair of £90 Grado SR80's the other day which are 9 years old. The Grado's were described to me as a "nice stocking filler" by the snooty audiophile salesman. An entry level set of cans I suppose he meant.

They sounded beautiful in a side by side comparison with the 'Dr.Dre' headphones. The 'Dr.dre' really did sound like a pair of £10 phones from a market. I wish I could have explained to my girlfriend how utterly crap her headphones sound, throw them in the nearest skip and then go out and get her a pair of AKG's or something. But I can't. It would break her little heart and mine. It is a secret I will have to take to the grave.

I tried moving them around on my head and checked to see if I had them round the wrong way, etc. I was simply horrified that such an expensive product sounded so utterly awful!!!

How can her expensive set of phones sound so completely devoid of midrange and have such flabby lazy bass? Because she paid for "dr.Dre's" endorsement.

I do not know what kind of Doctor the guy is but he certainly didn't get a PHD in sound quality.

DR. DRE(eadful)!

Do yourselves a favour and avoid these truly awful things. Google "best headphones under 200 quid" and make an informed choice.

Buying celebrity endorsed products is definitely pot luck. You pay extra for the persons moniker. I once had a video recorder endorsed by Phillipe starck. It was beautiful to behold. But in this case dr. whatever's name is on a truly low end product.

I pray daily that my girlfriend's set break so I can bin them and get her something else. Our loved ones should not be subjected to horror's like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not great out of the box, but after 20 hours burn in....., 29 Sept. 2012
I have read a lot of negative reviews about these 'beats' headphones, and despite initial reservations I took the plunge and bought a pair. The packaging is sublime and the phones look and feel fantastic. However, when I first listened to them I was disappointed: the bass was just too overwhelming and the mids were rendered muddy and soupy as a result. This was most noticeable on rock music where the vocals and guitars sounded a little like they were underwater. My first thought was 'Oh no, I wonder if I can return them?'

I have now been using them very regularly for a couple of weeks. They have 'burnt in' and the sound is much better - brilliant in fact. They have really 'opened up'. The bass is still full, but not at all overwhelming. The mids now are clear and well defined with vocals and guitar solos singing out perfectly. The treble is also crisp and detailed. In just two weeks my 'beats' have become a different pair of headphones - they are astonishingly good.

So, if you get a pair, don't be too quick to judge. Give them a couple of weeks and allow the high quality sound to develop. It is well worth the perseverance.

I suspect that many of the bad reviews you can read on the internet were written after listening to the headphones straight out of the box. My beats solo HD headphones are by far the best headphones I have ever owned. Now I want to listen to my entire music collection all over again (about 2000 CDs) because the beats add another dimension to the music.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give -5 stars for this junk..., 18 Feb. 2013
I appreciate these headphones are currently popular with teenagers. However, if you expect a GBP 180 product to last you for more than 5 months, then DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Hardly seen anything this bad for that much money. One of the earphones decided to disintegrate exactly 5 months after the purchase date...
I should maybe also mention that the sound quality is average at best, and no match to proper headphone brands out there, such as Sennheiser for example.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE!!!!!, 10 Jan. 2015
They have a little to much bass....perfect I love Hip Hop and use these everyday for long hikes with dog.

Keep ears warm, block sound nicely.....

Yeah I know Im paying for fancy case, the name etc BUT compared to my £30 Sony they are 10X better....so not that bad.

Dont forget about Dre ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved them and used them only occasionally at home- And ..., 2 Dec. 2014
I bought then only available version of these headphones in red on 25/10/2012. I loved them and used them only occasionally at home- And then conveniently just a month past their 2 year warranty on 2 December they snapped in their plastic part and I was left with nothing. For 169 pounds, I expected a bit more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›