5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!
A refreshing read in a market that hasn't been the same since mid 2007.

Published 16 months ago by Joshua James

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels like its been written by someone very young
I've read this book and the next in the series - Reapers Run. I found it OK. The idea is OK. the science in the plot is OK. The plot moves along OK, the characters are ... OK, the writing style is OK. However, I find it hard to believe in any of it.

Published 1 month ago by Andrew Scooter Guy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, 16 May 2013
A refreshing read in a market that hasn't been the same since mid 2007.

From the first few pages I was hooked. The quality of the writing and the questions that were arising had drawn me in already. What followed was a whirlwind ride of Excitement, Gunfire and Ethical debate which has the reader questioning themselves on what they would do in the situation. What would they want in they situations that Daniel, Elise and the other characters face?

The storyline was brilliantly clever but what makes this book is the characters that David has introduced us to. Particularly Daniel, Elise and in my mind... Spooky. All show a level of development some authors can only dream of. I will be following this series to see what further development is made and where the story takes them.

I take my hat off to David, A fellow member of 'The Writer's Cross' and I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series! I have already purchased the next two and urge other readers to join the journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read for a while, 5 April 2013
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Eden Plague (Plague Wars Series Book 0) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book free to read and review.
Although science fiction this is what I call realistic science fiction, no aliens, no strange science and gadgets but a single item that the whole story hinges on. Well at least until the epilogue. From the title, I never read the publishers blurb, I assumed this was another survive in the face of a plague type novel, I could not have been more wrong. The plague of the title actually cures people even those with mental problems and makes them not wish to cause others harm.
Against this background which also explored moral dilemmas there is good character development and plenty of action from the off.
Although quite a straight forward plot I found it a riveting read and wanted to know what happened next. The Epilogue gave me quite a surprise and I wonder how the author will deal with the next in the series. I basically don't like series but this first of the series also works well as a standalone with a tantalising glimpse of what is to come.
If you like action novels with a science fiction theme then this is a book to be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars infect me next, 30 Jun 2012
excellent book. first few pages nearly put me off[i went for my car gun]but soon picked up and takes you on a rollercoster of a ride.the cold war.on the run.biotech and more.looking forwards to the next book.highly recomended

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels like its been written by someone very young, 23 Aug 2014
Andrew Scooter Guy (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

So its all OK, but non of it is really believable .... and I don't mean whether its plausible to believe in aliens or heroes or weird science ... I mean that how characters/organisations/government, react, interact, behave, etc is just not very realistic.
Feels like its been written by someone very young.

Having said that if the price of the follow on books dropped to £1 i'd probably buy them when I couldn't find anything better to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarily possible, 11 July 2014
Fren (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
I wish the idea of secret units hidden by the US authorities did not seem so realistic as it makes me uncomfortable when I read things like this, I wonder how much is fiction and whether any of it is based in truth.

This was well-written and exciting

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller, 25 Oct 2012
David's book is a fast-paced and gripping action story that is truly entitled to be called a "thriller". If you do put it down, you'll be glad to pick it up again - though sorry when it ends! Fortunately, a sequel is already on Amazon.

The nature of the Eden Plague is not as frightening as one might have expected. Or is it? You'll have to read the book to see what I mean. I urge you to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stonking good read light hearted with some solemn moments, 3 Aug 2014
Andrew Goloskof "proffski" (UK Glos.) - See all my reviews
Utterly Extraordinary! Different and so fresh is this the latest up and coming SF genius? Innovative, fresh, different. I was sceptical in the beginning but soon realised on the course that the novel was taking and by Jove it is absolutely delightful. A stonking good read light hearted with some solemn moments. Something for everybody and an absolute must for any SF buff out there! ENJOY! A must own, get it now before the price goes up!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, page turning story with some interesting ideas, 18 Aug 2014
. The beginning was hard going, but once I got into it, the story took off and took me with it. I didn't like the ending, it felt too abrupt and not fully explained.

The writing felt a little clumsy in places, could benefit from a good editor, I think, but did not distract me too much. It read like a debut novel from an inexperienced writer, but the overall story was enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plot, good story, 28 Sep 2014
This is a pretty good book, the idea around the plot is certainly very original and makes for a very interesting read. Some if the military details / gun battles are a bit unnecessary in my opinion, and I guess some of the character traits and behaviour are not always very realistic. Having said, I really enjoyed the book and will probably read the second volume in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing look at the "super-human" genre, thoughtfully considered and executed., 15 July 2014
Jon Gritton (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I was almost put off by the first few pages. I found the initial pages laden with unnecessary similes and showing too many signs of an inexperienced writer (surprising, given the author's fairly long list of previous works). However, I persevered and I'm very glad I did. I think the initial pages attempted to put us in the mind of someone with a mental health issue which is surely very difficult to portray and while this doesn't excuse the over-use of simile, it does mean that the writing settles down quickly and becomes more readable.

The plot lies firmly in the "super-human" genre, though presents only a single trait and doesn't got to ridiculous extremes, preferring to focus on the peripheral consequences of such a situation, something it does very well and without becoming boring or "debate heavy".

Beyond here be slight spoilers - be warned!

My only two complaints would be towards the end of the book. Given that the trait is contagious - and apparently quite easily transferred between humans - the plans to spread the contagion seemed overly dramatic and obvious - inevitably drawing attention from the authorities. Knowing this was a risk, the protagonists could surely have come up with plans that allowed them to infect random people across the globe surreptitiously and then allow the contagion to spread naturally, as highly contagious infections do, without exposing themselves.

My second complaint was finding that the book was part of a series. It seems these days that no one is prepared to write single works but that everything must be part of some 10 book saga. In this case I felt this first book could have been a little longer and stood very well on its own without the epilogue and the endless extension into multiple volumes.

As usual, I really wanted to give 3.5 stars but given the choice between 3 or 4, it falls heavily towards 4, primarily because the author - rare in such books, I find - carefully considers the sociological and political implications of the plague rather than simply having the protagonists flying around and fighting crime in lycra. I haven't decided whether to buy the later volumes or not yet, as I feel they may spoil what was really a good stand-alone novel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›