on 23 February 2015
Frank Shelby is a lawyer accused of murdering his girlfriend Kathleen. Now, on the run, he and his friends are on a crusade against the ruthless and powerful Memoria Corporation to find her real killer, a corporation that erases peoples memories.

This company promises to erase all bad memories using free introductory offers as a ploy - But all is not what it appears to be...
And Frank, now a fugitive, must prove his innocence. The problem is that everyone is controlled by Memoria.

Full of governmental conspiracy, mad scientists, and chaotic mayhem, this novel has lots of energy that delivers a suspenseful reality. A futuristic/Sci fi action adventure that plagues espionage and survival skills to its very core.
'Memoria. A Corporation of Lies' was an entertaining read that is well deserving of a sequel.

I was given a copy for evaluation and an unbiased review.
on 12 March 2013
Really I wasn't expecting this at all! loved the story, liked the characters, very nicely written, grabs your attention. the idea presented in the book, reminded me of an old Hollywood movie of my childhood when people were also playing about with memories))))))))) I think I just became the authors fan club member, well, I told you before - unexpectedly great!
on 11 July 2013
A very well written story, set in what appears to be a 'Not too distant future' or maybe even an 'Alternative now' in New York.

Frank finds himself caught up in a whirlwind of sinister conspiracy from the opening, as a senator attempts to grab absolute power!

Within the first few pages I very nearly gave up and called the whole story far fetched, but then I gave my head a disapproving shake as I remembered that there is no such thing as Far Fetched in Sci Fi. I'm glad I stuck to it, as only a few pages more and I was with Frank untying the strange tangle that he has found himself in, and then rooting for him as the powers that be hunted him down to silence him!

A very enjoyable fast paced Sci Fi action-fest!
on 22 April 2015
Interesting plot and concept but for me it was too much of a mash up with switches from techno-thriller to police procedure to terrorist special forces action, all with the same characters that I didn't quite warm to. That said it passed a few hours of my commuting without really turning into a "I can't put it down"
on 31 May 2013
Although this book is primarily a futuristic thriller set in a world where the perpetrator might not remember their actions, it also raises questions the question whether, if we are the product of our experiences, we remain us if we lose the bad memories.

Following a civil war the United States of America is divided into three classes: migrants, a necessary underclass formed of the losers and their families, veterans, respected but expected to retain their memories of war, and citizens, required by law to have their memories edited regularly to remove the psychological causes of crime. Frank Shelby, a lawyer working on negotiations with the migrant enclaves, returns home to find himself a murder suspect. With the Memoria Corporation scaling up to announce a new government supported program, he must avoid not only the police but those who would use him as a pawn in their attempts to advance or stop the initiative.

This novel owes much to noir fiction, both in style and plot arc. Depending on your opinion of the tropes of the genre you will either enjoy this as a vehicle for a good idea, or find it lacking in nuance and finesse. While Bobl might not be as insightful as Philip K Dick, his dystopia is solidly written and paced.

As befits a noir thriller, much of the characterisation is done using action rather than introspection, which does occasionally lead to Shelby acting before his motivation is made clear to the reader. However, the lack of long conversations works well against a backdrop of a broken and dangerous society.

Both the history of the world and the technology are also introduced in action. Although there are some speculations about what Memoria might be doing, characters talk and act as if the class structure and memory-removal are both just another part of life. This absence of facts does require the reader to piece some things together in the first few chapters, but also adds to the realism of the world and will protect the narrative from being overtaken by real world events.

Overall I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to readers looking for an enjoyable science-fiction thriller.

I received a free copy of this book.
on 26 January 2013
I gave this up after about 10 pages. I thought the prose was OK but got almost instnatly bored with what seemed a predictable and familiar ides. I wont say what it was as it might be new to you - in which case read on...memoria seemed a rather obvious title though.