4.0 out of 5 stars A useful study resource on theorists and their influence
A clear and well set out book detailing approximately 20 theorists who have had influences in the way we approach early years education.
I would normally dip in and out of text books but this one I was happy to read as it's set out in such a undemanding and informative way.

The book is set out with headings about each theorist's;
- Life and...
Published on 25 Oct. 2008 by Helen Simpson

2.0 out of 5 stars It is good to know
I was expecting to read something on the topic of the title. However, the book gave a review of all the known names in the area.
It is good to know, but not what I was looking for and expected.
Published 19 days ago by Antonia

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful study resource on theorists and their influence, 25 Oct. 2008
Helen Simpson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The book is set out with headings about each theorist's;
- Life and upbringing
- Books and writing
- Their theory
- How those theories have been put into practise and their influence

The author also critiques the theories and provides web sites and books to find out more about each one.

Whilst it's definitely a useful book and one I've found interesting, I had hoped to find some information on Maslow, Rogers or Kelly so was slightly disappointed they weren't mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those studying in early years, 3 Feb. 2007
W. Towgood "Studying Hard" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This book gives a brief outline of the most well known child development theorists. Studying for my foundation degree in childhood studies I refer to this book often as a start point for further research on a particuar theorist, or to find a theorist to make sence of my studies. Together with 'Theories of Childhood' by Carol Garhart Mooney I'm not worried about where to start looking for my research. I look at these! BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for level 3; a good background resource for those working at other levels, 6 Jun. 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This book is concise and accessibly written, providing a summary of the lives and theories of some of the most prominent thinkers on the subject of early years development/education - by and large dedicating 2-3 pages to each theorist. The book is ideally pitched in terms of level/depth of knowledge needed for students on Level 3 courses and provides good summary information for those engaged in higher level studies (e.g. Early Years Foundation degree).

As a part-time tutor, I would be happy to see foundation degree students referencing this work, but I would also expect those producing the highest levels of work (and anticipating carrying on to degree/Masters level) to seek texts which allow greater critical engagement.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for nvq3 childcare, 21 Oct. 2007
Jane Fanning (Hounslow, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
very easy to read and understand making it ideal for nvq3 childcare a must! great!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential at any level, 11 Feb. 2008
G. D. Griffin (Redditch, Warks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great book, great for all levels - good mix of theorists, excellent links to more information. Good links to those who oppose the theorists cited and why - would recommend as a good basic book for any level of learning

4.0 out of 5 stars how children learn, 10 Feb. 2009
i found it an easy read with just the right amount of information and not over bearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 26 Oct. 2007
Amy Jones "Amylou" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
Really helped give me a basic outline of each theorists life and studies. Has been my bible for my foundation degree in early years

5.0 out of 5 stars essential for child related degree, 16 Nov. 2007
H K. Morley (Gt Britain) - See all my reviews
I'm doing an early years degree and this book provides lots of basic, vital info about theorists. Well worth the money & easy to read with lots of visual info too.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for teaching assistants, 24 Feb. 2010
Mrs. D. E. Weatherhead "Debs" (lincs U.K) - See all my reviews
this book is a must for anybody taking their teaching assistant qualifications ,it is easy to follow , has all important theorists that are covered in your college courses and is a book you can continue to look back on.

5.0 out of 5 stars How good is this book!!!!, 15 Dec. 2009
Oh my, I had no knowledge of any theorists and this book has really helped me get to grips with the basics. I have even brought the rest of her collection. I just wish now she would write a book which was more indepth about all the theorists. I love the fact that she has them all in one book. I wish i had found this book when i was doin my NVQ3, but i have found it now and thats all that matters! get it if you do not know a lot about theorists!!