on 16 May 2013
I needed a new laptop for my consultancy business and bought this one as it was recommended by a friend.

I've been able to use it for everything I need, including connecting to a projector for training which you cannot usually do with a slimline model without an adaptor

Very smart and light to transport.
on 13 April 2013
Was looking for somthing along the lines of an ultrabook (this isn't a true ultrabook) that had a built in DVD/CD drive & more importantly Windows 7 & not Windows 8. There are versions of this unit with a 13.3" screen & no optical drive but the slightly larger 14" screen of this model I think offers better value. Overall this Samsung is well made with metal used for the lid & keyboard top & this model still has the nicer to use touchpad with seperate L&R click keys rather than those horrible one piece touchpads.
Screen is nice & bright with a non-glare coated surface although vertical viewing angles are not the best I've seen. Battery life in the real world is about four hours with mixed tasks & the wi-fi on my version has been working fine so far. Unit was quick to set up straight out of the box with very little pre-installed bloatware to trawl through. For the current Amazon price of £449.99 I cannot find a better spec product for the money!
on 12 December 2012
Had to return the first one because I kept getting blue screen of death. Got a second, and three months later, it kept freezing. It now won't turn on. I spoke to Samsung and they just kept telling me to do a system restore, or that I can send it off for repair (Where they'll do the same).

I don't want to keep wiping my data and restoring every time it breaks. It's been 3 months and I've been through two broken £700 laptops. I shouldn't HAVE to system reset, I should be given a computer that works!

£700 down the drain, I will never buy Samsung again, and I now have to restart three pieces of University coursework! I'll probably be in the same position in another few months.
on 25 May 2013
It is great for the money. Load fast. I have no any problems with the Wi-Fi or whatever. It is light and the desine is very nice. Has many new functions.
on 14 February 2013
I bought this laptop two months ago, a little sooner than I might otherwise have done because I really didn't want Windows 8. My previous machine was a Dell Inspiron which was still giving excellent service after 6 years, but as I travel a lot its >3Kg weight wasn't ideal. The Samsung is around half that weight, and although the 13" model is another 300g lighter it lacks the DVD drive which I still use for ripping disks as well as installing older software, so for me this is a good compromise between weight and function. Two months down the line, with the 500GB drive half-full, I now feel able to share my impressions. I'll try not to unnecessarily duplicate what has already been said by other reviewers.

Having used the laptop on 3 wireless networks in two countries I am relieved to have had absolutely no problems with the wi-fi. Start-up time is around 90 seconds until everything is up and running, with waking from sleep around 5 seconds. The screen is bright and build quality seems good. It took me a while to find out how to turn off the touchpad's "tap to click" feature, which I hate, but it is buried in the mouse properties in control panel if you keep digging. The graphics are good enough to run Train Simulator 2013 on medium quality settings.

Minus points include tinny speakers, mouse buttons which click loudly (a personal dislike), and the lack of an illuminated keyboard. As another reviewer has commented on the microphone I asked a friend how I sounded on Skype and he confirmed that speech was rather muffled and echoey. Relatively small annoyances, generally I am well pleased.
on 10 May 2013
It's quick and easy to use and carry .I hope it lasts s long as my last laptop .Also came really quickly .
on 9 June 2013
Thanks for asking i like the Laptop, I am a slow learner.,I will ask for help ,But i will try myself
on 28 March 2015
Good little laptop and portable
on 24 October 2012
Samsung Series 5 NP530U4C 14 inch Ultrabook - Silver (Intel Core i5 3317UM 1.7GHz, 6Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, DVD SuperMulti DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
+ Came really fast - I like the DVD drive and the machine starts really quickly.Have loaded Office 2010 which works well. Keyboard feels nice.
- not so keen on the touchpad which is too far over to the left which means my wrist sometimes rests on it resulting in loss of work. Speakers are tinny. Somehow - I'm not that techy, Internet explorer seems to work fine whereas Chrome hangs very frequently (which did not happen on my old Toshiba)

With the cashback, an OK price - without it, a bit on the pricey side.
on 7 July 2013
I loved this when I got it but hardly used it therefore didn't realise that it only charges the battery up to 80% which is no good for me. So if you want a 100% battery charged, don't buy this.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse