5.0 out of 5 stars Boring but gr8 laptop
I bought it in the summer when Samsung were offering £100 cashback. Picked it up from J Lewis (sorry Amazon) for £799. So if you buy it here (£619), it's cheaper even without the discount!

Good points: Rock solid reliability, quick startup with its cached drive (about 15s from power on to login, another 10s to desktop), fan is very quiet. Haven't heard it...
Published 21 months ago by R. Lau

2.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop - shame about the wireless adapter
After a lot of deliberation and research I finally decided to purchase this laptop because it offered both great mobility being light, robust, thin but at the same time does not compromise on other feature. It has a full keyboard without combining multiple function buttons onto one button, it includes a DVD drive and also has a large memory coupled with the SDD for super...
Published on 28 Sep 2012 by Marc

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless does not work - avoid, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Samsung Series 5 NP530U4C 14 inch Ultrabook - Silver (Intel Core i5 3317UM 1.7GHz, 6Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, DVD SuperMulti DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
The Samsung Series 5 NP5300 U4C 14in Ultrabook seemed to have everything I desired. Nice screen and keyboard. i5 processor. 6GB RAM etc.
Initially it worked for a few minutes and I was able to download some updates. Soon it lost wireless connection and required a reboot. This kept happening with increased frequency until it finally would not connect using the wireless at all. I used the Samsung software to download all the critical updates in the hope it would help. No luck!
Searching the web you will find numerous references to a problem with the Centrino 6235 wireless chip causing connection problems. The latest Intel drivers identified a radio failure!
I have returned the Samsung for a refund. It is fatally flawed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless doesn't work - don't buy, 24 Sep 2012
I don't recommend this computer - the wireless drops continually. I have tried various things to fix what is a brand-new computer, but none work. Similar problems reported on the internet. Unacceptable quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop, but not great, 30 Mar 2013
Wanted to buy this laptop ever since it came out. It seemed good-looking, small, light, quality-built, not terribly small like other ultrabooks (it's 14 inches) and has a CD.
Thought a lot about buying it, after reading about all the problems with the wireless. Eventually, decided to take my chances and buy it.
Overall, I am satisfied. It's a nice laptop, for a great price. I certainly don't regret buying it.
However, it's far from great. It's kind of loud, gets hot in the bottom very fast, the touch pad is sometimes unresponsive, sometimes too responsive, the camera is very dark, the power jack is on the side, which is annoying, it has 24 GB SSD, instead of the advertised 32, it seems too plasticky... Plus, the problems with the wireless...
The wireless - I tried almost all the solutions suggested at ([...]), with different drivers, disabling something, bla-bla-bla. In the end, I both an external USB wireless. The only thing that worked. These are cheap and very small, so you don't even notice them.
On the positive side, the keyboard is very good, it's really light, it's fast, boots fast, has a CD, it's good value for the money.
So, if you're wondering whether you should buy this laptop because of the wireless, buy it, and buy an external USB wireless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless problems, 3 Mar 2013
Like a number of other reviewers the model I purchased had real problems with the wi-fi. It had very limited range and kept dropping off. After reading that this is down to the unreliability of the wireless adapter in this model, I sent it back and exchanged it for another ultrabook from a different manufacturer which works fine. In 2013 laptops should work out of the box and Samsung's suggestion that I fix it myself with a tonne of instructions they sent was a disappointing reaction. Not good enough I'm afraid. I also asked if they were aware of the problem as it is cropping up everywhere but they declined to answer. Poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG ULTRABOOK, 20 July 2014
DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP OR ANY OTHER SAMSUNG ULTRABOOKS!
There is a design flaw with the samsung ultrabooks in which the air vent has been placed too close to the hinge causing a stress fracture and the hinge leading the laptop to inevitably break. This has happened to many Ultrabook users including mine and samsung do not want to acknowledge this. YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH A BROKEN LAPTOP.... DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG ULTRABOOKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for me!, 19 April 2013
I am computer literate - but not a wonk (!) - and this laptop is just fine by me

I used a Samsung NP-Q40 for 6 years and while it is still good, tis bootup has ground almost to a standstill in the last twelve months. While I will work on reinvigorating the Q40 for the family, I decided to treat myself to a new laptop.

I have had the Ultrabook for a week and it has been just fine - and straightforward to operate.

The keyboard is very usable with space around the keys for fat-fingers like me. The key response feels good.

Sound is better than the Q40, and is clear and bright. Video is also good and I have no complaints on that score.

I have read complaints about wifi connection drop off - but that has not been my experience to date. I obtained a connection immediately and, apart from one very brief drop-off at the start, it has been completely fine for seven days now.

I cant speak for ultimate battery life but it has been excellent so far - and ages longer than the Q40.

This Ultrabook may not have all the bells and whistles that high end users drool over, but for me, doing office type work, browsing the web, playing music, and viewing films. this is an EXCELLENT laptop - especially for the price of under £500.

I would be happy to recommend it to anyone - unless it's for gaming where, since I don't do much of that, I cannot speak for performance..

5.0 out of 5 stars No wireless problems, 8 Nov 2012
I eventually decided to buy this laptop despite the various reviews describing wireless network problems, on the grounds that the spec was what I wanted and (as another reviewer has stated) it seemed to me that Samsung would surely get the problem sorted eventually.

So I half expected to be packing it up again within a few hours and sending it back to Amazon. However I'm pleased to say that having now used it pretty heavily for a couple of days the network has been absolutely rock solid - not a single dropped connection. Over that time I've downloaded software from about 10 different sites, synced up 60Gbytes of data via Dropbox and used it quite a bit for email, iplayer etc. I think therefore that there's a pretty good chance that it will carry on working reliably. For anyone interested: the wireless network adapter (Intel Centrino advanced N6235)driver version is 15.0.0.75. So that driver release works fine, at least on my machine.

The only problem with the laptop that I've found is that the pre-installed version of Skype is a very old one and doesn't work. However it only takes a few minutes to remove and download the current version.

So - I'm very pleased with it. Looks good, performs well, plenty of disk capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a learner on Laptop but i'll get there slow but sure, 9 Jun 2013
Thanks for asking i like the Laptop, I am a slow learner.,I will ask for help ,But i will try myself

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 25 May 2013
It is great for the money. Load fast. I have no any problems with the Wi-Fi or whatever. It is light and the desine is very nice. Has many new functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, smart and light, 16 May 2013
I needed a new laptop for my consultancy business and bought this one as it was recommended by a friend.

I've been able to use it for everything I need, including connecting to a projector for training which you cannot usually do with a slimline model without an adaptor

Very smart and light to transport.