5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality machine, excellent coffee.
What I wanted was an affordable, reliable machine that makes really good, hot coffee, doesn't drip on the worktop, & has a sensible shaped jug. I had been looking for quite a while...
I'm a firm believer that Quality Shows, & when I came across this Andrew James machine my first thought was "It looks well designed", so I ordered it.
My coffee maker arrived 24...
Published on 13 Aug 2012 by EarthSong

2.0 out of 5 stars best coffee ever
Published 19 days ago by Williamlebeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality machine, excellent coffee., 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Andrew James 1100 Watt Digital Filter Coffee Maker With Fully Programmable Function And Reusable Mesh Filter- 15 Cup Capacity
My coffee maker arrived 24 hours later.
It's very capacious...although I drink a lot of coffee, this makes enough to supply a small office - or a dinner party. It looks really nice too, which is a bonus as the machine is a couple of inches too big to fit in my kitchen cupboard when not in use. The cord is a little shorter than I need, but long enough for most kitchens.
When setting/testing the programming feature (I don't really need this feature, but wanted to check everything out) I found the display isn't lit during programming, & the numbers are not easy to see. But once set and switched to "on/auto" it lights up.
Now for the most important bit - the coffee!
This machine makes the best and hottest coffee I have had for years, a lovely smooth brew. And keeps it nice & hot for a couple of hours! There is no drippage onto the worktop, and no nasty cheap plastic smell to spoil the experience. The jug is a sensible shape, so it's possible to pour the coffee without resorting to contortions. There's a band holding the handle close to the jug so it feels secure. And to go back to the programming... I can have delicious coffee ready when I wake in the mornings, or come back from shopping in town! (Not necessary, but a touch of luxury.)
I'm not easily impressed by kitchen appliances, but this one has managed it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Once the taste of burning plastic fades..., 10 July 2014
A really nice machine. Makes lovely, hot coffee that stays warm for a couple of hours. Can also be set to a timer to start making coffee just before you wake up or get back from work, which always comes in handy. My one issue with the machine is the taste of burning/hot plastic that you have to suffer with to start with. My tip to get rid of it is to first, before making any coffee, pass a full jug of water mixed with salt or sodium bicarbonate (or a mixture of the two) through the machine. Once you have done this once or twice pass some pure water through it to give it a final clean. Hopefully this should remove the taste, it certainly worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 31 Jan 2014
Coffee produced is good and hot. Hotplate keeps coffee warm and bubbling. Robust Machine, would recommend to anyone looking for a filter coffee machine. Only curio, sometimes I have to check the time on the clock, so that coffee is ready in the morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Service, 20 Nov 2012
Would totally recommend Andrew James (and, of course their products) to all. The jug broke on my coffee machine and with no hassle Andrew James sent a replacement immediately. I am just about to order an ice cream maker. Refreshing to receive good service.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent device for the money, 23 Sep 2014
An excellent device for the money, I'm very pleased with it so far. It 'looks' more expensive than it was and compliments the kitchen nicely.

Putting a cycle through it got rid of the plastic smell, no problems.

I've not given it 5 stars as I feel I've had it to brief a time to test its reliablility. It is simple to use, but a minor point it that the 'clock' of 'timer' indicator message (note not the clock itself, that's fine) is nigh on impossible to read, but you get the hang of it. Also, perhaps the jug could be a little more robust, but overall, I love this little machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service., 30 Nov 2012
E. A. Allott (Paignton, Devon) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent coffee machine. So easy to use and makes the coffee so quickly. Switched it on a couple of times using just water to get rid of any plastic taste.No need to worry there was no taste, just a lovely jug of hot coffee! We filled it up to 10 cups and it made enough for 4 large cups as coffee cups are usually quite small. Stayed hot to the last drop. This was purchased from an excellent seller and I can highly recommend this seller to anyone. Thank you so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, this will satisfy., 10 Nov 2014
The unit looks good, but the materials do feel cheap (no worries, as this only cost us £25 anyway). I will start with the bad points;

We bought this for the office between 5 of us. The first brew was terrible, an awful taste of burnt plastic which made you feel ill when sipping it. The second, third, fourth......... the same! We stopped putting coffee through it and proceeded to purge with water with no success. We eventually used baby bottle steriliser powder to flush the system which eventually works. We are pleased to say the machine is now producing decent coffee, it took some time to perfect the amount of coffee required and we found that 1 desert spoon will satisfy 1 normal cup . I recommend buying coffee which is finely ground to ensure a good brew, alternatively you can grind the coffee down further like we do. This ensures maximum surface area in contact with the coffee and because it is less course it allows the water to travel more slowly through the coffee and ensures a good flavour.

Overall, the machine does what it says and has been reliable to date (3 brews a day, monday to friday, for the past 4 weeks).

Note: if I would have paid the full retail price, this item would get a 1 star. As the item is only £25 I am happy to recommend this.

2.0 out of 5 stars best coffee ever, 7 Nov 2014
Everything you have read about these machines is true: best coffee ever, keeps hot for hours and so on. What you have not read, however, is what happens when you need to descale your machine. I telephoned the supplier to confirm that I could use a commercial descaling compound. He confirmed that this would be O.K. It wasn't! Immediately after descaling the electronics packed up. At first it was only the timer. This didn't bother me too much since I never used it. Gradually the heating elements gave up, only to recover after 48 hours. This recovery could be speeded up by gentle warming. I now indulge in a bizarre routine of leaving my coffee machine on the Aga overnight inorder to make a cup of coffee in the morning.
I'm considering the purchase of a second machine and filling it only with Brita filtered water. This way I hope never to have to descale it. So if you live in a hard water area, think twice about buying such a machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars fine machine, 3 July 2014
excellent for the money. only fault found jug has tendency to dribble when pouring

5.0 out of 5 stars Second perfect. Hot coffee, 2 July 2014
First one had to be replaced. Second perfect. Hot coffee.