5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this excellent smartphone
Published on 21 Aug. 2012 by Mr. Stephen Redman

Published on 5 Feb. 2013 by GratuitousViolets

1.0 out of 5 stars A phone that is let down by abysmal battery life and shady service., 5 Feb. 2013
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vodafone Smart II Pay As You Go Handset - White (Electronics)
As my title suggests, this phone would be an absolute deal for the money if it weren't for the fact that the battery life is about as long as the life on a peeled banana. While it boasts features like incredible apps, lots of free games, useful tools, and a very easy to navigate system (not to mention incredibly sensitive touch screen), the problem with the poor battery life negates everything that was ever good about the design and functionality of the phone.

When you find your MOBILE (take note of this word, it is relevant) is plugged in at home more than it is NOT plugged in then you start to realise that there's a serious problem. I got this phone two months ago, for Christmas (it's not what I would have admittedly chosen) and although I like the features and am grateful that people think enough of me to buy me one, the poor battery life means I can barely use it for any length of time - it feels more like a landline with wifi. Even to move downstairs and use it for half a hour to try and check the news via the wifi on it drains the power like a boat full of holes (think TITANIC for reference here).

A swift check at this moment in time tells me that my phone sitting idle takes 37% of the battery life...while the standby takes a whole 36%! Wifi burns up 8% and the display 3%. So basically 84% of my battery (without me even using ANY APPS) is burned out before I've even used it. The number of important phone calls I've missed because of the power just burning out (without me even knowing) is ridiculous for a phone that is barely two months old.

Battery life aside, there's also a glitch with this phone; switching it on if it's been sitting on standby, the screen blacks out and doesn't come on for about four minutes of repeated tries. Think of this happening when you really need to get a call out...if you'd needed to phone 999 for any reason (injury/accident/crime) and the phone blacked out, you'd find yourself in serious trouble (unless someone had something more reliable next by...like, you know, some string and a couple of paper cups).

Just don't buy it. Look into something with longer battery life that is more reliable and don't waste your money. The features aren't worth a phone on a short charger wire that has to remain permanently plugged in.

Update: It's now the third month I've owned this phone, I've barely used it (maybe sent 150 texts and made 5 phone calls in total) and the phone is sadly already about to die permanently as far as I can tell. Battery lasts about forty minutes with no apps active, no bluetooth, no wifi, and nothing running on it. In addition to the ever dying battery, the thing also switches itself off and won't come back on unless the battery is physically removed and placed back in.

Also very important to note (especially to those on a low budget), that although you can use this phone on your wifi connection at your home with a service you already pay for (virgin, bt, etc) Vodafone are still going to charge you for wifi and if you leave your phone (say for instance because you're expecting an email, etc, while you're at home) Vodafone will at points (usually very late at night when they're guaranteed you're asleep and you most likely WON'T notice it's happening) charge you and drain your credit then use the excuse that 'an app is doing it' when you demand where your money has gone. You won't get refunds, even if the only apps installed on the phone are THEIRS and you didn't access them. They don't offer any kind of tangible bill or online account that you can see each charge that you've used either...they're really making sure you have no idea what money is coming out of your balance. Really avoid them at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this excellent smartphone, 21 Aug. 2012
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is so much hype about one or two phones that dominate the market that you could easily miss this ecellent device. An Android phone - the most popular operating system today - loaded with gingerbread (v2.3). The screen is a greast size (unless you need reading glasses) but the high points are that the phone feels great in the hand is an easy fit in the pocket. The built in camera is very acceptable too. Android is a fabulous operating system and there are a huge range of downloadable apps that you can add on. Facebook and Twitter apps are standard though.
If you are looking for ease of use, compact size and great flexibility this is brilliant value for money! Being able to keep up to date on Facebook and Twitter whilst on the go is a real plus.
The phone appears to be manufactured by (or for) Alcatel in China, and comes with everything you need to get going including a lead to connect to your PC.
If I was pushed to find something negative it would only be the removable back seems a little flimsy - but you only take it off to change SIM card so that is not really a negative.
If you are wanting a modern phone with lots of features for not much money don't hesitate!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a beginner, 6 Sept. 2012
Sheenagh Pugh "Sheenagh Pugh" (Shetland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(This review comes courtesy of my daughter, since though she may be a Luddite, I'm more stone age when it comes to hi-tech stuff).

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to mobile `phone technology and this is the first smartphone I've had the chance to play around with, so I don't have a context in which to place it - I've no idea how it compares to other budget models or more expensive packages. But as a first smartphone for someone who doesn't regularly use a mobile, I find this handset well suited to my needs. It feels like a good solid build (albeit with a weird two-piece backpiece that seems more complicated than necessary). The screen offers good visibility indoors, but is hard to use in strong sunlight. It does pick up a fair few fingerprints, but they're only visible when viewing at an angle.

Even as a complete novice I'm finding the various functions quite easy to get to grips with. It does everything I'd expect it to do and countless things I don't need it to. The camera, for example, is far from amazing (though perfectly adequate for casual use), but I don't mind because I have a camera. I'm primarily using it to browse the net in wifi hotspots, and it's doing the job perfectly well and at a decent speed. I'm still learning the `phone's various shortcuts but I find it pretty easy to navigate, if I'm patient about zooming and scrolling. I'm in an area with very patchy mobile coverage, but Vodafone's signal is by far the best of the bunch.

I do find the touchscreen keyboard a little awkward to use, though I'm improving with practice - it does tend to select letters to either side of the one I'm aiming for (less so when I remember to turn it on its side). I don't know whether or not that's down to my clumsiness, but I doubt it'd be a good choice for anyone with reduced manual dexterity (though it does offer swype and vocal input options as well, at least for some functions - I've yet to discover how to reliably activate them).

I understand from reading other reviews that some users have found the battery life disappointing, even on standby: I seldom leave the `phone on standby for long periods (as I'm not an enthusiastic mobile user I tend to turn it on only when I know I'm expecting a call or want to make one) or use it to browse the internet for more than 10-20 minutes at a time, so for me the battery life isn't an issue, but that's something to consider if you're more than a casual mobile user.

So while one ought to bear in mind that I'm a) inexperienced and b) still overexcited by the very notion of free wifi via a mobile, I'm more than happy with this `phone. I didn't pay for it as it was received through Amazon Vine and if I were going to buy a budget PaYG smartphone (with my current level of usage I'd not consider a contract) I'd definitely shop around, but I think this model is pretty good value and well suited to my needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - Should not be on sale, 7 Oct. 2013
The mobile turns itself off every night. Have to take out battery every day and put it back in for it to operate again. Forever having to re-charge the battery even with the internet turned off. Complete waste of time! We are off to claim a refund today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vodafone Smart II PAYG handset - Grey, 21 Aug. 2012
Gill (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. The Vodafone Smart II is made by Alcatel and is a reasonable quality, entry level touchscreen android smartphone.
Fors: Decent screen size and resolution; good wifi and Bluetooth connectivity,feels sturdy and comes with 2GB memory card, charger, USB cable and headphones.
Against: Poor quality sound through internal speaker; camera quality not great, the browser can be sluggish and the battery does not last long.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think the phone is faulty, 1 Mar. 2013
I am having trouble with this phone I am unable to switch it on at times and it does not stay on standby therefore I do not receive any calls. I am taking it to my local phone shop for advice before returning it if they say it is faulty or somethinfg that I am not doing right. Irene ennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Vodafone Smart II Pay As You Go Handset - White, 28 Feb. 2013
There seems to be a problem with my card and this particular phone (maybe). It started well. Switched on added PIN and all seemed OK. Then the phone was switched off after I fully charged it and drained the battery as recommended. That's when the problem started. The phone not only asked for my PIN but also a password. Since I had not been asked this in the first instance I had no password to give. There was no keyboard option at this stage so even if I did have a password I could not access the keyboard to input one. So I contacted Vodafone to ask them about this. Long story short; they said the phone was faulty so I sent it back.

I then went to a Vodafone shop and bought the same phone and asked them to set it up so it could not be seen as my mistake. These were the same people who I went to with the original phone. The same thing happened again.

I now have another phone and have taken the precaution of not only putting a PIN but also a password.

Pity. I actually liked the feel of this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entry level smart phone worth owning, 31 July 2012
Length:: 1:50 Mins

A really good phone! Has all the joys of the Android system with the benefit of a good price tag!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's smarter than me !, 22 Mar. 2013
This is the first smart fone I've had and although all the reviews I read before buying it said that there were even smarter ones to be had, this was a well stocked (free app wise) beginner's goodie. It's fine by me. Does all I could want. And has a camera too, my old fone didn't so this is a revelation. If you want a 'starter' smart fone then try this one. ps It's cheaper here than on the Vodafone site. It's made by Alcatel and my wife, who's just about as dynosaur as I am with phones, likes it so much she bought an Alcotel fone too (but in white - so we can find our own)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for its niche, 21 Sept. 2012
Hamstead (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a regular mobile phone user and generally just have a basic PAYG phone, but I found this not too difficult to use and it will come in useful for tweeting, facebooking and browsing on the move which my current phone won't do. I thought it a shame that you have to use it in monthly increments rather than carrying your balance over, but all in all, a decent product for the money.