5.0 out of 5 stars Even my terrible daubings have improved
Published on 6 Sep 2012 by Mushandin

3.0 out of 5 stars Art Academy
Teaches you how to draw professional drawings like a artist and it is a excellent game. It interesting to play but it's a bit dry or boring in some places.
Published 13 months ago by Gareth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my terrible daubings have improved, 6 Sep 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
The idea behind this game is to take you from the very basics of art to producing really very complex works indeed. Beginning with a cherry and working up to more complicated still lifes and portraits. There are pencils, coloured pencils, pastilles and paints available. They are fantastically realistic behaving just like the real thing. There are plenty of different paper types too ranging from smooth to textured to coloured. The lessons in this game are carefully thought out and easy to follow, There are often asides detailing innumerable famous artists, but cleverly these can be skipped if they are interfering. The lessons are more comprehensive than the previous incarnation and there are many more of them. You also get a free mode where you can draw whatever you like. There is a series of photos for you to copy or you can try using a picture from your own photo collection on the sd card.
The really big difference is the gallery. You get your own art gallery to display your works in. You can share them via streetpass and demonstrate how good/bad you are.
This is where I make my one negative point (I wont say criticism). You can only get the most out of this game if you have a modicum of talent, I don't, and even though I have noticed improvements I still get frustrated with how difficult I find even the basic lessons. That is why I have given it four stars for fun rather than five. If you enjoy art you will love this. if you want to (and are able to) improve than again this is for you. But for the talentless like me it can be both enjoyable and frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can draw now!, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I am so bad at drawing and I still am I guess but this has made it more fun and I felt I did so well when I drew things like a cherry and a tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Art package, 24 Mar 2013
Karen Vaughan (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter, but mostly use it myself! I do have artistic ability but despite doing art A level, never received any formal lessons/tips/guidance from my lazy teachers. This system gives step by step instructions in the techniques of using pencil, pastel and watercolours. God knows how, but the technology is so sophisticated it is almost EXACTLY like using real pencil, pastels and watercolours- you can dilute paint, blend pastels....it is incredible. But the strength of this package is not just in the technology, but in the quality of the teaching - it is what I have been crying out for since my A level days all those years ago. The teacher (Vincent!)is not interested in doing 'painting by numbers'or by copying or by rote- if you follow the lessons methodically he teaches you the techniques of painting/drawing and introduces you to real artists to illustrate different approaches. The initial lessons are very proscribed- he mixes the paint, tells you what brushes to use, which thickness, which dilution - so you receive an incredible amount of help and guidance, which really builds up your confidence and makes the whole process less daunting. Gradually as you proceed through the lessons, help is withdrawn little by little ( it is still there but you have to specifically look it up) so you learn to stand on your own 2 feet without relying on his support. This comes naturally because he taught you so well the information about brush thickness, using grids, glazes etc. To practise each teaching point you create a picture using the technique. You can repeat the lessons as many times as you like- but you can't jump forward- you have to run before you can walk. At any time you can draw or paint freestyle without being restricted to the lessons. Art Academy is so uncannily realistic that with the knowledge it gives you you could easily transfer everything you learn to actual paper/canvas. I cannot recommend this system highly enough. I am a great beliver that talent is only one factor in artistic ability- there is also practice and tricks and techniques, so even if you are blessed with only a little of the former this system can get you creating art. You DO need an extra large 3DS as you can't use the stylus accurately on the smaller 3DS. Incidentally both I and my daughter permanently turn the 3DS off when we use it for anything as it makes our eyes go weird, and this package is still perfectly okay like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and addictive !, 17 July 2013
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
If like me you have tried "art" before and just made a mess the appeal of having lessons on my favourite device, the 3DS XL, was too much to resist. I thought I would just get frustrated creating again and Art Academy would be put on the shelf. After the first couple of lessons however, I was hooked.... my cherry came out awesome and my tulip looked better than Vince's (the tutor). The lessons are broken down into simple steps which are easy to follow. You learn technique as you go along and can always go back and try again. Its all about practice. Its a great little program I would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve on basic art skills. Its shame there isn't a website for the game and a chance to upload your gallery online to peruse on the big screen and print off your favourites. You can save to SD card so i guess you can download from there, I haven't tried that yet :) All in all, great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 18 Aug 2012
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I wasn't sure about this game at first because I didn't have any of the previous games. As soon as i turned it on i was addicted. It is so realistic especially on the 3ds xl and just extremely fun. This game will really benefit me for the future when i do my art gcse. I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for young art lovers, 7 Sep 2013
Mavis Dee (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
My 7 year old son is passionate about drawing and he loves learning the techniques in this software. It guides you through various techniques to produce quite impressive drawings. The stylus works well with it. I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 as I don't know how well this would appeal to older children or adults, and the stylus makes things a bit simple compared to actually using art materials. But for a child who is equally keen on DS and drawing, it's a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS), 30 Aug 2013
D. Fleck "donorkebab" (Ballymena - N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Present that was very well received. Has original Art Academy and this is an excellant follow up (just a shame it was on the 3DS!!!)
It is challenging but gives great enjoyment. Literally hours of pleasure. A bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, 13 May 2013
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I purchased this for myself as I have always wanted to be able to draw. Easy to follow and the results are getting better. I may be able to draw somethin on paper at the end of the exercise!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - Easy instructions, 26 Mar 2013
Shirley Wilkinson (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Need more practise at it, but the instructions are clear and precise.
Will keep at it and then start practising on canvas. Good Buy

5.0 out of 5 stars good art, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
my son loves it, he loves art so this has helped him greatly with his art and craft, he can just pick it up and doddle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS)
New Art Academy (Nintendo 3DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)