on 19 January 2013
I wasn't expecting a great deal from this book as you get what you pay for generally, and a dictionary for £0.77 is not likely to be very comprehensive. However, the majority of words in the English Lexicon are simply omitted from this so-called dictionary.

I bought this book partly because I wanted to see if dictionaries in Kindle format had proper search tools, like the excellent Oxford Dictionary that came with my Kindle. I thought that this question was answered immediately as there was no search box at the bottom of the page, as there is on the Oxford Dictionary of English. However, I discovered after a couple of days that simply typing on the keypad immediately brings up a box for your search term. It's not as good as the one on the Oxford Dictionary but it is searchable so that was good (but why don't they give a short explanation of this in the book's introduction?).

However, the big problem was the lack of inclusion of many common words (in English). For example, I wanted to explain to my Spanish speaking cousins about the tides on the Estuary near my home. However, neither "tide" or "tidal" is included. These are not obscure or specialist words in any sense; just normal everyday English. Why on earth is anyone allowed to sell a supposed "dictionary" that omits such words? In the week since I bought this so-called "Dictionary" a high proportion of the English words I have looked for, mostly common words I frequently use, are simply not included, or sometimes if they are there then they are not actually in English, so a search for the word using the correct English spelling will produce no results. Selling an "English-Spanish Dictionary" on a British website to British customers which is not written in English but in Yank is fraudulent, however cheap it is.

I disagree with the reviewer who stated that this is a useful dictionary for basic English-Spanish. It is not useful at all if it simply leaves out the vast majority of words in English and includes others words, but only with non-English, foreign (ie. Yankee) spellings. The sheer size of the English vocabulary is a problem for lexicographers producing bilingual dictionaries, but simply omitting most of them is a shoddy and dishonest way to deal with it.

If you want a proper dictionary then don't buy this book. You will need to spend a bit more than £0.77.
on 6 July 2014
For the price that you pay for this dictionary, you do get your money's worth of words. When you buy a dictionary for 77p you cannot expect every word that has ever existed to be present. For having on your Kindle in case of an emergency word search, it does just fine. Yes, the searching technique you must use is not completely convenient, and some useful words are missing, but it does its job well. If you do not need it for a serious reason, then I recommend it wholeheartedly. If you are not prepared to spend all your holiday budget on a dictionary, this is the one for you. I understand that not everyone finds it suited to them but, especially for beginners, it will suit many an intent or purpose.
on 1 January 2013
This is an ok quick reference for spanish speakers who are learning english. However for spanish and also english native speakers who are serious about mastering the other language an English-Castellano and Castellano-English dictionary is a better investment.
on 16 May 2016
Bought it while on holiday to supplement my poor Spanish...absolute rubbish. I know the English language is vast but you would expect some of the more basic words to be in it...if it had been a paperback it would have been used to light the fire! At 77p it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get a refund. Don't buy it...waste of time.
on 25 September 2013
Whilst it is understood this is a basic dictionary. It isn't really as it doesn't even have the numbers in it.
on 15 January 2013
This is not a thorough dictionary, don't buy it. Many times I have searched for words and the book has been found wanting. I understand that there isn't always a direct translation but it also doesn't offer potential alternatives.
on 26 October 2015
I'm studying Spanish at a medium - advanced level, and most of the words that I needed were not included in this dictionary. Perhaps it would be useful if you are just using it for travelling. The search function is relatively easy to use.
on 15 January 2016
I found d the book to be sometimes over complicated when you are at an early stage in learning Spanish and not very helpful to me. The inclusion of the word function is very helpful as one progresses in learning the language. I would say that if you want a simplistic phrase book this is not it. But if you want to learn the language properly this is a helpful book. One shooting feature on my book is that if you start at the beginning and 'turn ' the pages the only way to get past location 25 is to use the search function.
on 26 May 2015
I'm sure the print book's fine but the Kindle version's not great. You CAN search it OK, but I searched for some very basic words (for example 'hello' and 'cat') and got either no result or some very obscure results. I returned for a refund.
on 11 February 2015
I don't use it. I thought there was a Spanish English dictionary with it. Half a dictionary, however good it is, is no use to me.