Size: n/a|Change

on 22 January 2014
This is a very good, well-thought out training aid. Providing you kick off and glide at the start of each length then it never misses.

The display is large enough to read with goggles on and the customisable screen allows me to keep track of the number of lengths completed and the total distance swum, while still in the water. I've chosen this configuration, but there're lots of other combinations of data you can display.

After configuring this customisable screen, you press the blue button to scroll down to it (lowest black circle on the left of the main display) and then press the centre button on the right hand side to stop/start the session. After stopping, you're given the option of saving or deleting the data. After saving, it displays nine data sets so you get a comprehensive idea of how well you've done.

After installing the Garmin Connect software from the Garmin website, plugging in the ANT+ USB stick, and enabling pairing on the watch (go to: System/Computer/Enable Pairing), pairing and uploading of the data to the Garmin Connect website is automatic. There you can see all the data in great detail along with graphs, charts and other displays where you can analyse each session and set and review training goals.

The real selling point is that while in the water you concentrate on the swimming while the watch takes care of all the data by itself.
on 21 November 2014
Best buy I've made for some time. I read reviews of the watch before purchasing and have not yet experienced any of the complaints/issues that were raised in those reviews. I have waited 3 months before I posted a review, to see how I get on with the watch. Set up and software download was fast and easy. If set up and used as recommended you will have no problems. It counts pool lengths accurately, does not fog up (glass) as some have said it does, fits comfortably, easy to use and durable (I average a 10km swim each week). Best gadget I've bought in years!
on 13 March 2014
I bought the Swim as a lap counter and at first it was frequently missing or adding laps, The software has got better with later updates and now it only misses or adds a lap or two every 2 or 3 sessions. The BT upload works fine but the website data is pretty useless; strokes are often wrong and the website is so slow its not worth the bother of using.
Water or condensation has been seen inside it but it still works OK and you must remember that though its a 'waterproof' swim watch, you are not supposed to push the buttons under water. It has a clear display but a large glass face with no protection around it so its easy to scratch, however the glass does seem quite scratch resistant.
Battery life is poor for a watch but Ok considering it does lap counting and uses Bluetooth. The display turns off until you move it and this function works perfectly.
Its a bit confusing to operate and its worth keeping the manual around for when you can't figure how to get into the menu to change settings such as pool length.
The serial number is printed!! on the back and wears off quickly, giving some indication of the manufacturers intended support.
The plastic strap has fallen apart in just over a year, in spite of being rinsed each time after pool swimming.
So I'd not recommend it for those who need it to be accurate or to last long, at this stage its a work in progress, get it only if its on special. theres bound to be a newer model that works better soon.
on 13 December 2014
Excellent watch, easy to setup and use (so my gf tells me), battery has lasted around 18 months of pretty regular use, it has to be replaced by being sent away though because of the pressurising and weve been quoted around 2-3 weeks and a cost of about £30. Records a lot of details like times, distance etc and syncs easy enough with the Mac we have.
on 29 August 2014
Just works from box, counts lengths perfectly and gives enough simple stats. Blue Tooth widget did not connect with my 64 bit Windows 7 but did with other computer in house all OK. Tons of Graphs and Stats enough to satisfy anybody. Using daily. Love it!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2016
It doesn't calculate a correct number of pools every single time I swim. Sometimes it tracks like 3 seconds for a pool, which means developers didn't go through such simple cases, which means they didn't spend much effort on building the firmware. This is disappointing and makes all metrics useless :(

Check here, 5 strokes for a distance while normally it takes 11-12
[...]
on 28 February 2014
This watch does exactly what you would expect it to. It has survived over a year in the pool and still going strong.

It's important you manage your expectations, because a product like this can never be perfect:

- Sometimes it will miss a length and give you a length twice as long. Firmware updates have greatly reduced this occurring but just realise that it's not going to give you 100% perfect data because there will be a blip here and there.
- Sometimes the stroke detection can be a bit iffy. Front crawl counted as backstroke etc.

That said, in terms of general data capture for those interested in the quantified self, this is a great bit of kit. It even looks decent too.
on 3 November 2013
I bought this gadget to properly measure my exercise when swimming. This works really well despite a few dropped lengths now and then. I think the website could display your activities a bit better but overall, despite costing quite a few quid, I'm pleased with this watch.
on 29 March 2014
I'm taking swimming seriously for the first time and this watch has been brilliant at letting me focus on my technique without having to worry about the distraction of counting. To start with it mis-indentified my stroke - I think that had more to do with my technique than the watch because as I have improved so has the stroke identification.

Gives me all the data I want and more, it has been invaluable in building my training regime and helping me improve.
on 6 November 2013
This is a brilliant product, I bought it to help me train for the swim aspect of triathlon and it's been a big help...easy to use and clear on screen information has meant that I can really track my swim efforts and help shave time of my training drills.