4.0 out of 5 stars Focus on what's really important
I am an experienced swimmer, relearning to swim after several on/off years following injury and shoulder surgery. Focussing on technique, there are so many different things I could focus on in each session, I sometimes used to find that it became difficult to concentrate on any one of the areas that I wanted to improve. The Garmin Swim has made a huge difference to the...
Published 18 months ago by emma

1.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE PURCHASE!! Impressed with product - 6 months on, disappointed with manufacturer support
I was starting to get fed up with losing track of my swimming laps so did some research into devices for counting the laps for me. I was initially torn between the Swimovate Poolmate and this one. I was erring on the side of the Garmin, mainly due to the brand and reputation, additionally this watch has more features than the Swimovate version, including the ability to...
Published 6 months ago by The Wrinklie

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Swim March 2014, 23 Mar 2014
RobP "Rob" (Stoke-on-Trent,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
Ordered the watch on Friday and came on Saturday through the Amazon Prime trial.

Used it today to test it out. After reading reviews for this and the Swimovate I decided on the Garmin because [a] I have the Garmin 500 and that has been accurate and good to use and [b] the battery in this is user changeable , although in fairness will take 2-3 years before the difference in cost of the watch would make it a comparable purchase.

Bit nervous as to its accuracy after reading the negative reviews [but then again I suppose we do focus on the negative when reading reviews and they probably get posted more] but after a 2,300 metre swim I can say that it was great.

It captured all the lengths correctly and also accurately got my stroke type correct after uploading it [every 10 lengths of breaststroke I do 2 of front crawl].

I turned on my PC when I got home and it automatically uploaded the swim session data to the PC. I did three sessions on the watch to see how that would work and they were all there.

I swim 6 days a week and do approximately a mile a day [and was tired of counting and wanted to improve my stroke rate as I have had a lay off from swimming for a few years - why I purchased the Garmin] so I will update this review after a few weeks to see if I am still as happy.

Great purchase so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase for ages, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
Delighted with this watch. It is easy to operate (after a couple of times pressing the wrong button during training) and the uploaded data will assist my training program. Wish I had bought one earlier instead of the cheaper ones which didn't last and provided only a fraction of the data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., 21 Mar 2014
G. Racz (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
Reading the other reviews before buying I was not sure how accurate the watch would be. After 5 weeks of use and more than 40 miles of freestyle it never missed a lap or a stroke.
The best thing is it uploads automatically all the data to Garmin Connect through its wireless stick attached to my laptop. Then I can check all the details of the training, compare with the former ones or share with friends.
It counts the distance, laps, burnt calories, best/avg pace, best/avg SWOLF, best/avg efficiency, total/avg/min strokes and saves the time for every lap separately.
It allows you to create a custom page showing your chosen data. The watch is big so the information is easy to read while turning.

Unfortunately if you changes your stroke during one length it will not add it to the total distance. This can be a problem when the lane is crowded and someone in front of you is so slow you need to switch to breaststroke.

All in all for me it is perfect. It is easy to handle, does everything a swimmer needs and looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice divice, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
I love the watch. It helps me with counting my swimming km. I highly recomend the watch to all swimming fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, 13 Mar 2014
Bill (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
I bought the Swim as a lap counter and at first it was frequently missing or adding laps, The software has got better with later updates and now it only misses or adds a lap or two every 2 or 3 sessions. The BT upload works fine but the website data is pretty useless; strokes are often wrong and the website is so slow its not worth the bother of using.
Water or condensation has been seen inside it but it still works OK and you must remember that though its a 'waterproof' swim watch, you are not supposed to push the buttons under water. It has a clear display but a large glass face with no protection around it so its easy to scratch, however the glass does seem quite scratch resistant.
Battery life is poor for a watch but Ok considering it does lap counting and uses Bluetooth. The display turns off until you move it and this function works perfectly.
Its a bit confusing to operate and its worth keeping the manual around for when you can't figure how to get into the menu to change settings such as pool length.
The serial number is printed!! on the back and wears off quickly, giving some indication of the manufacturers intended support.
The plastic strap has fallen apart in just over a year, in spite of being rinsed each time after pool swimming.
So I'd not recommend it for those who need it to be accurate or to last long, at this stage its a work in progress, get it only if its on special. theres bound to be a newer model that works better soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - does exactly what it says it will, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
Easy to use, works will minimal set-up and great for analysing swims on the Garmin website. I also have a Speedo Swim coach - works just as well, but the set-up and use is not as intuitive and there are no fancy graphs online!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable - Do not buy, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
I have had this watch for 6 months now - the concept is great and it works well. I still use it quite a lot as it will give me an indication only of how I have been swimming. Unfortunately this product is very inaccurate. It let's me down every swim. I think it is more reliable if you swim constantly but forget it if you are doing drills and resting in between lengths. It really let me down when I did the 5k Marathon as it did not record my times. Instead of recording 200 it recorded 217 lengths - some hours later. Checking the lengths during a swim is also very inaccurate - it will say one thing on the dial and another when the period is saved. It also takes time to catch up with itself. many times I have swum even lengths only to end up with an odd number of lengths. The dial layout could also be much better as I like to see clearly how long I have been swimming - but this is very small on the clock face and have to stop to read it properly. It is quite stylish and it is waterproof to date. I mainly use as an alarm clock to wake me up in the car after my lunchtime snooze? I would also like to see improvements to the Garmin website where you can download and analize your times etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Windows 8 / Terrible Customer support, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
This product is not compatible with Windows 8 64 bit computers and when you try to install the software you get an "MSI Error". Buy only if you don't want to syncronise with the computer. Garmin also has terrible customer support. They basically don't read what you write to them when you ask for help and then reply 3 days later with a useless response. Other than that, the watch itself works great in the pool and I've never had any issues with the watch recording my swim laps.

5.0 out of 5 stars very accurate, 18 Aug 2013
D. Hill "anarchy798" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
am in the process of training for a triathlon and felt my swimming needed improvement. the level of detail you get once uploading your data helps to show loads of information and what needs to change where. great watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Better understanding of my swimming, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Electronics)
At the tender age of 43 I decided to take my first lessons in front crawl, and after practising diligently for six months I decided I wanted to have more information on how I am doing in the pool (always too lazy to county laps myself).

With firmware 3.60 the watch does a brilliant job when I use front crawl, I do not have a missed lap, and have the additional information of time per each lap, minutes per 100 metres, calories, etc.

Breast stroke, which I swim for warm-up, cool-down, and catching my breath in between is not that accurate I am afraid. The stroke is identified correctly, but the turns are not. However I have to say that I do not turn as recommended by Garmin, i.e. with a strong push (I usually swim in a 18 metre pool, and a strong push would take 1/3 of a lap), so this might be my own fault. This is the reason for 4 stars, otherwise it would be 5. And Garmin is pushing out new firmware regularly, this issue might be fixed sooner rather than later.
(The weak turn has no effect on front crawl).

I use neither backstroke nor butterfly, so no experience there.

ANT+ is a nice feature as well, easy to upload swim sessions into the could and to update the firmware.

All in all a brilliant swim watch, and very pleased with the purchase and use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›