4.0 out of 5 stars Live to tell you, it's another good book!
Published on 27 July 2010 by Best Crime Books

Published on 21 July 2010 by Stephanie De Pue

4.0 out of 5 stars Live to tell you, it's another good book!, 27 July 2010
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
Danielle Burton is the lone survivor of her family massacre over 25 years ago. She currently works in a children's psychiatric ward trying to help if not save children. It is fast approaching the 25th anniversary of the event and she feels powerless to stop all the old emotions from returning. In a nearby working class neighbourhood, a family is found dead. There is one survivor the father, who is clinging on for life in the Intensive Care Unit. Detective DD Warren is called to the scene and soon realises that this is not a simple open and shut murder case.Victoria Oliver is trying to just get through each day of here life. She tries her best to keep her son safe from himself and the outside world but the day to day struggle becomes harder when she realised the biggest threat is from her own son.The lives of Danielle, Victoria and DD will soon collide, only none of them realises just how great the consequences are going to be.

I have been a fan of Lisa Gardner's since I picked up one of her earlier books. I almost always pre-order her books so that I don't miss a publication date. Her books in the past have proved to be absolutely edge of your seat suspense. This book, well, in a word I have mixed feelings.I read the first review on Amazon from a lady in the US who read one of LG's earlier books entitled `Alone' and then read this current book next. The lady had stated in her review she wondered if they were the same author and I know where she is coming from.

LG has always written really fast paced thrillers and the characters are always really strong and passionate people that are thrown into the deep end of a story. In one respect this book is no different. However, there is one major element to this story which threw me which was the `supernatural'. Now I must point out that I do NOT read supernatural type books and do not subscribe to the `supernatural belief system'. Therefore, this element of the story threw me a bit.

Although the mention of supernatural is recurring throughout, this element of the story is strictly surrounding only one character. I think that you can choose to take this element which ever way you please. It is also clear that two of the main characters, namely DD and Danielle are `non-believers'' which I think adds to the realism of the story. The ending can be read in two different ways as well. I think the author used the supernatural element in addition to the other characters as opposed to the only answer. I thought that the supernatural element to one side, LG has again produced a fantastic story with great characters and a really strong plot. Although some fans may not think this is one of her best I actually really enjoyed it.

A lot of this book is based around the children that are housed in the psychiatric unit in a hospital and the kind of behaviour that they display due to varying medical conditions. Danielle is a nurse on that ward and a good chunk of the story centres in the unit and its children and staff. Lisa Gardner writes these children's problems with great care and it makes you realise that taking a pill isn't always the answer for some sick kids. I also read at the end of the book that LG was compelled to write this into one of her stories due to her own personal experience with a friend's child.

It was great to see DD Warren back in the hot seat, although for some reason in this latest book she has become a sex-starved workaholic with a very bitter outlook on life. Don't get me wrong, she was a great character to begin with and I always like realism in a character. I just didn't remember her being quite so harsh. All of the slight negatives regarding supernatural to one side, I still thoroughly recommend Lisa Gardner and cannot wait for her next one (albeit hopefully with less woo-woo in it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Gripping!, 17 Aug 2010
Clare Miller (SE London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
I have been an avid fan of Lisa Gardener from the beginning, but where most authors start to get a bit 'stale' and lack ideas, Lisa just gets better and better.

I had to fight with myself, i was drawn between wanting to finish it super quick because it was so good and also trying to slow my reading down to prolong the story.

A fanstic and gripping story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Special Pleading and the Supernatural, But Where's the Mystery?, 21 July 2010
Stephanie De Pue (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
"Live to Tell: A Detective D.D. Warren Novel," is another in the D.D. Warren series of thrillers, that includes The Neighbor, Hide, and Alone, by New York Times bestselling American mystery/thriller writer Lisa Gardner. In it, Boston police detective D. D. Warren is assigned the case of a family that has been murdered, apparently by the father, who, it seems, nearly failed to take his own life after killing his wife and young children. And, shockingly enough, there is another local family annihilation (as they are apparently known), also apparently by the father, barely two days later. In neither case is it clear why, without obvious reason, the father would slaughter his family. So D.D. wonders if another member of each family might have been the perpetrator, and soon discovers that there was a psychotic child in each family. In succeeding chapters narrated by secondary characters, Victoria, a mother almost defeated by her psychotic son; and Danielle, a nurse who works with psychotic children, and is also a survivor of family annihilation, the author introduces us to children like Evan, Victoria's eight-year-old, who are capable of frightening violence, and have been known even to plot the killing of their parents.

Several ensuing chapters are set in the pediatric facility where Danielle works, apparently based on a similar real-life facility, the Child Assessment Unit in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I would guess that at least a quarter, possibly a third of the book is set in this unit, or taken up with pleas for these children, and do consider it a worthwhile message. But it was much more information than I wanted to know on the subject, and I doubt that it belongs in a thriller. I was, in fact, reminded of the famous dictum of Sam Goldwyn, American movie-maker: when I want to send a message, I call Western Union. In the solution of the mystery she has set herself, Gardner also veers off into the supernatural: somehow the solution is found on the `interplanes' between the living and the dead. Folks, come to a mystery, I am a meat and potatoes kind of girl, and, while I quite enjoyed the opening of the book, was looking forward to a taut thriller, I really don't want special pleading for any group, or the supernatural, to get between me and my mystery.

I've been known to tell friends, not really jokingly, that if a mystery doesn't throw up a body in the first few pages, I'm not likely to finish it, and "Live to Tell" was satisfactory in that regard. Now, I've previously read, enjoyed, and reviewed the author's Gone, set in the Pacific Northwest; I've not read any of her other works, and so don't know if they follow the model of the clean and taut "Gone," or the stretched out with special pleading and the supernatural "Live to Tell." Is the entire D.D. Warren series like this?

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down...................., 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
this book had me gripped from the get go - I could not put it down. I don't really agree that the "thriller" aspect is a bit light the body count is high (!!) the pace is electric and you are kept guessing what on earth is going on right to the end. This is another great novel by Lisa Gardner - loved it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a first chapter!, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Lisa Gardner since I read Hide back in 2007. Full of suspense, highly charged, and utterly terrifying, Lisa's thrillers leave no room to breathe from beginning to end. And Live to Tell is no different. Quoting the book jacket itself, Lisa Gardner will mess with your head!

The opening chapter completely floors you and the ensuing twists and turns never let up. Cracking pace and action are matched with a dark undertone that chills to the bone and makes you think about how well you really know anyone, least of all your own family.

I like thrillers. I like to be terrified. I like to be gripped. And I love Lisa Gardner. Get this book and you won't regret it. It's brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren 4) (Kindle Edition)
This book is one of Lisa Gardner's best. The story involves the murder of families who have mentally disturbed children and it's harrowing at times. It's a well constructed plot and I couldn't put it down at times. Just a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one for me!, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
Ive read most of Lisa Gardeners books- and this is my favourite! 'un-put-downable!'. if you havent read any of her books yet-this would be a good one to try first. I like the way each of the three womens stories in the book, are different, and yet tell how each charachter possesses the sheer guts and strength to overcome their personal demons. Thrilling, insightful, and Fab!

4.0 out of 5 stars THOUGHT PROVOKING, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Live to Tell (Hardcover)
Previous reviews have told the story of this book in some depth, I can only add that it was a truly wonderful read. As well as enjoying the narrative and the characters who were so well developed that it enabled the reader to understand their behaviour patterns. I appreciated the research that the author must have done in order to describe in such emotional/factual detail the children with pyschcological problems. I found her understanding of them and their carers moving and humbling.I could not put this book down. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren 4) (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book, not for the faint hearted. Each character is individual, as is each of their stories, brought together fantastically. Worked for me, I really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaky, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Live to Tell (Paperback)
This book was brilliant and scared the living daylights out of me! I read it in 2 days and couldn't put it down! It was one of Lisa Gardner's finest novels to date.