5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive performances of Cole Porter
JOHN BARROWMAN SWINGS COLE PORTER with the London Pro Arte Orchestra.
First Night Records, CASTCD 91. Produced by Stewart Mackintosh.
Published on 13 Jun 2004 by C. FULLER

2.0 out of 5 stars He doesn't.
Swing, that is. I already own three CDs by Mr. Barrowman so I know he has has a good voice and can certainly hold a tune, but these performances are delivered in the staccato/ perfect diction/ LLoyd-Webber tradition rather than the swing/ jazz style of long flowing phrases for which these pieces were written. This is disappointing, as we know he can do it, as witnessed on...
Published 18 months ago by Robert Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive performances of Cole Porter, 13 Jun 2004
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
JOHN BARROWMAN SWINGS COLE PORTER with the London Pro Arte Orchestra.
First Night Records, CASTCD 91. Produced by Stewart Mackintosh.
Just One Of Those Things/ What Is This Thing Called Love/ In The Still Of The Night/ I Happen To Like New York/ Anything Goes/ After You, Who? / Ca C'Est L'Amour/ Don't Fence Me In/ Miss Otis Regrets/ Do I Love You/ You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To/ Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye/ It's Alright With Me/ Easy To Love (bonus track from 'Anything Goes' 2003 cast recording). Running time approx 44 minutes.
Rarely does one have the perfect combination of performer, material and orchestrations that can be found in this new album from West End and Broadway star John Barrowman who can currently be seen in the hit Cole Porter musical 'Anything Goes' at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London. The album comprising 13 new performances and a bonus track from the cast album of 'Anything Goes' is from the very start 'a breath of fresh air' and a most wonderful set of standards. John performs the songs in a number of different styles some reminiscent of West End staging, utilising all that he has learnt in the many musicals in which he has appeared, others are more cabaret in inspiration and some are in a grand concert interpretation all backed by the London Pro Arte Orchestra. I particularly liked his treatment of 'Ev'ry time we say goodbye' with it's little heard opening verse and a full version running over 4 minutes. Such is his skill that he can make even the most difficult of numbers sound the easiest to perform and this is the test of any vocalist. He passes with flying colours. All of these Cole Porter numbers are classics and there are now definitive John Barrowman performances of 'After you, who?' 'What is this thing called love?' with a great instrumental solo, 'In the still of the night' and a beautifully sung 'Miss Otis Regrets' accompanied on piano by the talented Beverly Holt. The arrangements by Larry Blank are superb and the sound is the best I have heard for a long long time and is a great tribute to Toby Alington the Chief Engineer on the album. The huge 38-piece orchestra plays Cole Porter at his best and supports John beautifully throughout his faultless performances. As a modern day collection of one of the most popular of composers this CD is a must.
Clive Fuller

5.0 out of 5 stars John Barrowman at his Best, 18 Feb 2006
Hannah (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album!! It arrived in the post yesterday and I can't stop listening to it!! Anyone who was a fan of John in 'The Sound of Musicals' on BBC1 over the last few weeks will adore this album and if you're just looking for an album from a guy who can really sing THIS IS THE ONE TO BUY!! His natural talent and faultless voice make him so easy to listen to and suit the style of Cole Porter so well. I am really looking forward to his next album being released!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION!, 30 Jan 2007
Katharine Bone (Ipswich, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after seeing John in 'De-lovely' and I wasn't disappointed.I've listened to it every day for the past 2 weeks and it just gets better and better. His voice is incredible and perfectly suits Cole Porter's songs.John's version of 'Anything Goes' will stick in your head for weeks - you won't be able to stop singing it! This is the first John Barrowman CD I've bought and I'm certain it won't be the last.I just love the guy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cole Porter the John Barrowman way, 1 Jun 2006
Mrs. Ann Wright "clyde valley" (Overtown, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
Absolutely fabulous. If class is what you like then that is exactly what you get with this album. John Barrowman's voice does great justice to some of Cole Porter's best creations. Great choice of classic songs and I defy anyone not to want to high kick and sing along especially if listening on surround sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars If are a Barrowman fan..., 19 April 2006
Koy (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
I recommend this to Barrowman fans who just can't get enough of his voice! The treatment of Cole Porter here is very different from ones I usually hear (like Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, etc), so it is interesting...The bonus track 'Easy to Love' is in my opinion better than the earlier recordings Barrowman has done, both in his singing style and orchestral/band backing. It is also my favourite track at the moment.

A modern treatment that is not so emotionally intense but as a result easier to listen to.

buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Swing Cole Porter by John Barrowman, 17 Sep 2004
P.A. Ward (Grimsby, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
Absolutly fantastic as with all his music..He has a fabulous voice, is great to look at and a realy nice person. We love him to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
John Barrowman is THE consummate musical star of our age; an accomplished actor, good-looking and with the best voice to emerge from the West End in fifteen years. This album of Cole Porter songs is arguably his best to date. Faultess - enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative!, 8 Jun 2005
Cyberwitch (Cranbrook, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
Okay I admit I had never heard of this guy until I saw him playing "Captain Jack" in "Dr Who" and I'll admit his resemblance to Tom Cruise sent me to the net to find out more about him - which is where I discovered that he sings as well! So I bought the CD and played it non-stop all day. Good looks and a great voice? I defy any woman not to be reduced to a jelly by "Do I love you?". I only wish the answer were "Yes"...Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this guy!, 12 Dec 2005
Anne Harris "annie lou" (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
I heard that this guy was a musical singer and spent a long time looking for stuff about him online. I "stumbled" across his website and found a list of all the CDs and musicals he's been in, and he rules! He's been in almost every big musical you could think of, and his voicer is amazing. It was apparent that he had amazing acting skills after his performance in Doctor Who, but his voice is incredible. I love him, and this CD makes me so cheerful and happy that I would recommend it to anyone who even half likes musicals. Buy it now! I've owned it a month now, and due to the large amount of work I've been coping with, I've listened to it 300 times already!! It is so easy to listen to, and if you listen to the previews you'll see how amazing he is.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Nov 2007
S. White (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swings Cole Porter (Audio CD)
I thought this CD was absolutely amazing. Some of the songs for example "don't fence me in" are brilliantly sang and also "anything goes" has to be mentioned