5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! A great if somewhat scary read!
Having read through Marks first book 'Zero Day' in about 2 days flat whilst on holiday last year I couldn't wait to get hold of his next book for my holiday this year.

With the book duly downloaded to my Kindle I boarded my plane for 4hr flight, and I can honestly say I don't remember anything about the journey until we hit the tarmac at the other end...
Published on 11 Oct 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining
Over technical in parts. Needed editing. Many typos and awful grammar. Fairly exciting ending but was not gripped by it,
Published 21 months ago by Sue Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Re-writing European geography!, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
Overall a very readable book.
Some of the 'tech' probably goes too deep and some of the early action almost seems incidental.
The second half is a typical chase thriller which, like others, had an unsatisfying ending.
My biggest gripe is Mark's grasp on European (and Turkish) geography.
At least twice he refers to driving directly from Geneva into Italy (avoiding a long drive through Switzerland) - Google maps would help him notice that Geneva is bounded on three sides by France!
Also, Ankara to Iran on the TEM is (according to our friends Google) a 20+ hr drive - very unrealistic to hire a car in the morning and arrive in Iran the same day!
In short, worth a 99p deal, but too many factual errors for my liking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 27 Dec 2012
avidreader (Edinburgh, Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
I was attracted to this by the subject matter - being something of a geek myself - but the quality of writing was so poor that I just about gave up on it.
The technical stuff was ok, but the characters were wooden and the writing style was painful. I shan't be reading any more of his.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
Although I read this book to the end I found it completely unbelievable at times. The basic concept is sound but having the main characters doing what they did was stretching things to the limit at times. Managing to get caught and beat up twice, then escaping the clutches of so called professional agents, and then still having enough money/cards to spend lots of cash was ridiculous. Some of the reviews stated that the technical content was well explained and easy to understand for non I.T. people. However,I disagree with this. After spending 30 years in I.T. even I was completely lost at times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Dull for a "Cyber-Thriller", 6 Dec 2012
J. Poole "jhlondonuk" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to like this book as I generally love this type of thing, but it took ages to get going (kept introducing more and more characters and then leaving them before anything really happens). Things finally start to gel about a third of the way in but really, a thriller should keep you on the edge of your seat and this one did not. The characters were not interesting to me and I kept finding reasons to put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut eros diam, interdum nec pharetra nec, aliquam in lacus. Vivamus ullamcorper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Paperback)
Great read, will recommend it to my students

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mix of technical knowledge and storytelling, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
Found it a little hard to get going but the book really came alive after the first third.

The first part of the book is fairly technical, focusing on a virus and the team's efforts to isolate / understand it. However, this becomes just background / staging to a much more engaging international chase.

It's a very modern storyline, and relevant to the current political climate as Iran seeks to build its first atomic bomb. Some of the technological insight is worrying and anyone without antivirus software on their PCs will be shocked into submission.

Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really?, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Paperback)
After reading this nonsense, I returned to Amazon to see how it had fared with reviews and was astounded that it was pushing 4 stars. I struggle to give it one star.

The main characters, Jeff and Daryl, are weak and so ill-defined that I couldn't care less about their fate either way. Some good geeky techie stuff, but I can't maintain a reliable phone signal in London, never mind track a throw-away pay-as-you-go mobile halfway across Europe. Plenty of stereotypical baddies of various nationalities and dubious allegiances chasing the good guys on a self-appointed mission to save the world. Based on some very flimsy insights from some computer code, Jeff and Daryl develop a sudden and amazing grasp of geopolitics that surpasses that of the UN. Why the baddies rely on one flaky person to deliver the vital vrius is barely credible. If I was a cyberwarfare specialist I think I might have a few routes to deliver the critical software in case one of them happened to encounter a hero computer engineer whose main achievement seems to be mastering the gears on a manual car.

Will be more careful about spending 99p in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good yarn but too many typos!, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
I've noticed about 10 typos in the kindle e-book version of 'Trojan Horse' by Mark Russinovich. These didn't spoil my enjoyment of it, but I wonder if they are also in the paperback version of the book?

Some of typos look like OCR errors (e.g. at location 600 'coach' should be 'couch', at location 5185 'homi cide' should be 'homicide'). Others are punctuation errors (e.g. at location 2005 'he took in, the enormity' should be 'he took in the enormity').

The first typo I spotted is a lulu: at location 8: 'Also by Mark Russinovich: Trojan Horse' should probably read 'Also by Mark Russinovich: Zero Day'!

I complained to Amazon about this, and they promptly refunded the purchase price in full. So all's well that ends well!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›