5.0 out of 5 stars Other Worldly, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Held (Audio CD)
Never has the term 'keenly awaited' meant more for me. I absolutely loved the ep, With U. Touch of Burial, touch of James Blake, but identifiably its own thing. Finally, Held is out. And it is gorgeous. The Manchester man in the black hood has triumphed.

Atmospheric synths overlay deep dark basslines. There are swooning electronic strings and snatches of echoey vocals that evoke late nights in pulsating cities of shadowy alleyways and flashing neon lights. Joyful, life-affirming, but never cloying every track is a soundscape to a different intimate scene.

I've seen the album listed as R&B. Got to confess, I don't really understand the way this term has mutated. I guess it's an age thing. For me R&B means Stax, Atlantic, Motown. Today we have Contemporary R&B, which seems to bear no resemblance. I'd call this dubstep, but then what do I know? Whatever the genre, Held is an absolute joy.

Other worldly, I've called this review for want of a better title. Thing is, I'm not sure which other world. All I know is that I'd love to live there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Brilliance, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Held (Audio CD)
I have listened to probably too much electronic music, but this is just sublime, emotional, textured music. Play this loud and be astonished by the power of this disc...sheer brilliance!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Held (Audio CD)
sumptuous sound absolutely fantastic and absorbing music. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a bit of chilled electronica

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, atmospheric, endearing, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Held (Audio CD)
This is absolutely lush. Honestly, nothing has touched me like this since way back to Burial - i care less how cliche that might sound. The tracks with the pitch changes are magnificent, draggin you in and out. This music is really good for working too as weel due to the lack of lyrics. Thank for this music, I might just buy the album, even though i can listen for free because the quality is that good.

Held
Held by Holy Other (Audio CD - 2012)