5.0 out of 5 stars Travis, The Man Who.....surprised us all with his talent
Published on 3 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars SNORE FEST
nothing wrong with slow songs but an entire album of slow song is just totally boring and mindnumbingly snorey, Unfortunatley a good band has forgotten how to be lively and wrote an album filled with some moaning over a lazy drumbeat and guitar playing while te rest of the band I am not even sure what they are doing. There is a few ok songs that a a little bit more lively...
Published 7 months ago by Cubby Kovu

5.0 out of 5 stars Travis, The Man Who.....surprised us all with his talent, 3 Aug 2000
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
Having never heard of Travis, I bought the album on the back of the single 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?', but I was still unsure. Having listened to it once I was captivated, after the second time, I was spellbound. Being a massive hard rock fan, it may surprise you that Travis' mellow tunes are possibly the best thing that I have heard for quite some time: its THAT good. Every song on the album is a potential release, and it appears that Fran and the rest of the group have put some thought into the album unlike some groups I have listened to. Don't cast the chance to buy it aside on the grounds that you only like 'Rap' or 'Heavy Metal'. Thanks to the sublime 'Driftwood', the passionate 'Last Laugh' and the thought-provoking 'Turn', this is an album of all tastes. Buy it, go on......

5.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten band, 22 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
The release of '12 Memories' triggered off a great realisation in my head. 'Oh yeah! Travis! Whatever happened to those guys?' I'll tell you what happened, a band by the name of Coldplay adopted the way that Travis balanced their varying audiences, and used no lack of charm to recieve world-wide aclaim. Yes Chris Martin and Co. are lovely chaps who have two great albums behind them. But Travis ae better. Make no mistake. 'The Man Who' is seemingly the best evidence of this, ten songs written and sung beautifully by frontman Fran Healy. At the time of release it was what the pop industry was crying out for, bridging the gap between pop surbanity like the Stereophonics and the inaccesibilty of Radiohead. A wonderful effort and a great array of melancholy yet inspiring tunes (Starsailor take note). But has anyone else completely had it up to here with 'Why Does it Always Rain on Me'?

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your music collection complete: BUY THIS CD NOW!!!!!!!!, 5 Dec 1999
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
It seems that these songs were written especially for me. I can relate to them extremely well. They combine fantastic, truthful, deep lyrics with catchy tunes that I caught myself humming when I wasn't even thinking about it. It isn't often that I buy CDs which have nothing but brilliant songs on it, and this is one of them. I can't decide which is my favourite, but it is either Writing To Reach You or Turn. There is also a 'secret song' at the end of the album, which is worth buying the entire CD for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have album, 3 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
When you think about Scottish music most think Texas, Big Country, Runrig, Proclaimers, Del Amitri, Deacon Blue etc etc etc. The list of big selling Scottish groups is long and pretty impressive yet not since Texas has there really been one anything truly exciting. Travis are not a Celtic Rock group but are more mainstream perhaps more appealing. Turn and Driftwood are both worth buying the album for alone.It's just a pitty there was so much hype about it I kinda get the feeling people bought it expecting a world beater. Don't expect that because it's not. Just have an open mind and I'll promise you by the 3rd listening you'll be hooked!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Depressing? Hardly. Rather, triumphantly comtemplative, 18 Aug 2000
Robert J. Kerr "jitsukerr" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
I just don't get it. How otherwise articulate and intelligent persons, obviously possessing great musical taste (or they would not have been persuaded to buy the album in the first place), can find only one ill-fitting word to describe this album.
Depressing? The album as a whole? I cannot think of a less fitting summation. Why is it that suddenly any song that is less than a headlong rush to the final bar is now depressing? Rather, the slower songs on this album are in turns wistful, autumnal, regretful, and accepting -- but, lest this dissuade potential buyers, let me say that this is only in contrast to the interspersed up tempo tracks.
We begin with Writing To Reach You, considered by some to be the strongest track. It certainly has a lot to offer, and may have contributed to the expectations of some who expect all tracks on an album to follow a pattern set by the first track.
Continue with The Fear, probably the best track in terms of lyrics (though some would contest that assertion with either Slide Show or Blue Flashing Light (of which more anon)). It may the least romantic love song I have ever heard.
Next comes As You Are, a song which for much of its length deserves the appelation 'filler.' But then it kicks into life, and redeems itself. Still strong lyrically (as all the songs are).
Then most people's favourite, Driftwood. We have gone from high-ish tempo, to medium, to medium-quick, to upbeat, and the contrast makes Driftwood stand out even more. Superb song.
Now my favourite, The Last Laugh of the Laughter. Far too rarely do we hear piano on indie tracks, and this use of it is so subtly mixed with the guitar that it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Perfect word-setting, marvelous melody and harmonies.
The glorious Turn is next, about which nothing really needs to be said. Brilliance shines out of this track like the sun, and like the sun, the track provides some contrast between Last Laugh and the next song, Why Does It Always Rain On Me.
WDIAROM is a classic track (though overplayed on the radio, IMO), and is probably the closest of all the tracks to the appellation 'depressing.' It seems to unselfconsciously wallow in its self-pity -- and yet curiously, does not outstay its welcome. The sheer perfection of the word-setting is probably the reason. For those who complain that all the non-release tracks are depressing, take the time to actually _listen_ to this one!
Next is Luv, and, while slow, is quite forward-looking. This is the song I would call wistful.
She's So Strange has garnered varying reactions from listeners. I must admit, it's the track I skip over most often, but still worth a listen. I think someone else hit the nail on the head with 'weird.' But, hey, 'strange' = 'weird'.
Then Slide Show. I am a sucker for solo 'cello, and in this track, it's used so well that even without lyrics this would be a contender for best track. Add in some of the most thoughtful lyrics on the album, and you have the perfect song to end the album.
But wait! We're not finished? Wait a while, and the hidden track reveals a side to Travis not heretofore seen in any of the other songs on the album. No, this is much harsher, more gritty -- dare I say it, more Scottish -- than the rest, and shows that while they may have grown up, there is still an element of 'Let's see what we can get away with.' Blue Flashing Light is probably my favourite track after Last Laugh.
And there you have it. Peaks and troughs of tempo, thoughtfulness, and sheer _joie de vivre_. A balanced album, in every sense of the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT AN ALBUM!, 9 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
I was apprehensive at first of this album because I had only heard a bit of "Driftwood," a bit of "Writing to Reach You," and all of "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" But I borrowed it off my mate and recorded it and I just thought: "My god! this is a great album!" Then came "Turn" which is a mixture of Indie and mellow rock and, although Fran's singing is less than convincing on the chorus, it is otherwise fantastic. I cannot honestly pick out a "worst song" on this album. If you haven't found the bonus track yet, FAST FORWARD "SLIDE SHOW"! One of the albums of '99. The lads from Edinburgh do it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, if you like this sort of thing, 11 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
I have had this album for a while now, I love it. Not for the easily depressed, or for the steps fan. It's quite varied, in a subtle way-from the rockish hidden track to the calming slide show, if you like quiet indie, go for it. Be prepared to sing a long, and get ready for some weird but cool lyrics (hottest summer in a hundred years, but summer didn't bother getting up this morning, so all the trees forgot to wake, and they were dropping all the leaves on the ground below them). I am giving this album five stars, to help cancell out the terrifieing (scuse spelling!rofl!) few it got early on, but I'd give it 4 .5 . Have a great time if u buy it. love Fi :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars unexpected but can't live without it, 14 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
okay, the minute i heard travis were releasing this, i bought it. i was expecting another "good feeling" with clear cut "upbeat, happy" songs and "quiet thoughtful" ones. i was surprised to hear something that was an actual progression from the last album. if you are expecting any big romps like u16 girls then you'll be let down. it's a more complete sound from travis this time round, with every song standing on its own. the weakest song on the album is probably turn: the reproduction doesn't seem to do it any justice (much better live). as for the rest of them...lie back and let them was around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive vocals with creative guitar patterns., 4 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
This album is so much more impressive than their debut album 'good feeling' because of the soft vocals and creative guitar patterns. The singles taken from the album are: 'Writing to Reach You', 'Driftwood', 'Why Does it Always Rain on Me' and the forthcoming single 'Turn'. Every song on this album is good, but I'm not too keen on 'Last Laugh of The Laughter' because I don't like the use of French words and I think that his voice is a bit too soft in this perticular tune. Look out for the hidden track at the end of 'Slide Show', fast forward a couple of minutes and there it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like it mellow..., 6 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Man Who (Audio CD)
if you are not into mellow.alt.rock music like oasis, radiohead and the verve, then you would be disappointed at the lack of 'pop-ness' in this. Otherwise, this would have to be the best album in this genre. I bought it for 'turn, and 'rain, but dont even get round to listening to them 'cos of the brilliant others ('as you are' is just unbelievable!). i almost cannot believe the talent here, after being used to monotonous repetitive pseudo- vibes from the likes of oasis. their new single 'coming around' is just as brilliant. to sum it up in one: excellent!

The Man Who