4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better

3.0 out of 5 stars great idea but lap counting problems
Published on 9 April 2012 by stepsrl

3.0 out of 5 stars great idea but lap counting problems, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Speedo Aquacoach (Sports)
I bought this as I kept losing count of my laps in the pool. I also wanted to get some idea of calories burned over a session. The first problem I encountered was the instructions are inside the box and to read them the box has to be cut open and you're left with an ill fitting sprawl of cardboard. A nice compact booklet would have been much better. Good luck sending the watch back if necessary in its original packaging then! Not easy to use but I trawled through the step by step set up guide and started to swim. My main annoyance with this watch is it does not accurately record laps. In both sessions since buying it, it has missed some laps. This is hugely annoying and means I have to count laps again which totally defeats the object of buying it. It is also rather expensive for something which can not be relied upon.
I have been on the speedo website and seen the troubleshooting guide on missing laps so will see if that helps, but I ensure each length ends with a good touch on the wall and a good long push off and glide for the next lap, so not sure what else I can do.
A great idea but flawed and expensive!

I have used it several times since my last review and I thought I had cracked the lap counting problem, getting to 80 lengths with no missed laps. However, it dropped 3 laps over the last 20 so whether it was because I was tired I'm not sure, but still frustrating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless - I stopped using it, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Speedo Aquacoach (Watch)
I bought this a few months back, used it about 6 or 7 times in the pool, and have hardly used it since.
Perhaps I'm not good at making my turns consistent, but it misses laps, which defeats the main reason I purchased it.
I'm not too bothered about the 'strokes per length' feature, as this is only an 'end symptom' of having an efficient stroke, so I can't comment on how well this works.
The other annoying thing is that the swim mode assumes you always want to swim in 'sets' with 'pauses' in-between, so times these OK with a one-touch method, but almost forcing you to change your swim session to suit how the watch behaves.
I couldn't believe that there wasn't a 'split' mode like a normal stopwatch has, so one can, for example, take splits on a button-press, or every 4 or 8 lengths, and review the splits afterwards.
There is no 'normal' stopwatch mode at all.
It's also very difficult to know whether you've successfully pressed a button or not, without having to stop and look at the display.
On the positive side, it looks quite good, so can be worn as normal watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Speedo Aquacoach (Sports)
It is a great idea as anyone who swims for exercise and relaxation would like to let their mind drift and not be concentrating on keeping the lap number in their heads. I bought this and was a bit frustrated in setting it up... the instructions are not clear... however after a while i got used to using it. I've only had it drop laps a few times and have swum about 40 miles with it in both 25M and 20M pools. My main criticism is that the lap counter is so small... in the top right corner...making it difficult to see during swimming... if there was a way to switch over the timer with the laps, that would be great. Maybe it is just me but I want to swim a set number of lengths not a set time period... so I can improve my times. However, the watch has been a regular part of my swims and over the last 3 months have been tumble turning with no problems in the lap counting. I only do freestyle so can't comment on how the watch copes with other strokes. Overall I think this is an expensive watch but worth the money as it really does allow you to drift into a wonderful place mentally... i really hated having to remember the length number i was on and frequently forgot as my mind wandered...

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes the headache out of counting laps, 11 April 2014
D. Lee (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speedo Aquacoach (Sports)
Bought this product as I was in training for a 5k swim. 200 laps in my local pool.
Found I was always loosing count of the laps.
Program pool length and personal variables and away you go.
I found it requires a little glide each lap which was better achieved by wearing it on my right wrist.
Now works well and I'm very happy with it.
Would I buy another if I lost it - Yes

Cons: I would have preferred black but blue was cheaper! Blue doesn't look out of place in the pool however.
Extremely rarely will drop a lap - but it is very rare.
Interface can be confusing until you get the hang of it

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor wristband, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Speedo Aquacoach (Sports)
I lost the watch in open water after one week. There is just a tiny little pen for closing the wristband, and then the remaining length of the band is too short, so that that additional securing tiny ring (to plug in the protruding end of the band) is just at the end of it and can easily get loose. This together with the need for a punchier style in open water (hitting harder and faster) makes the watch unfit for open water.

I think this is really a decisive failure, thus my one-star rating. The rest of this watch seemed okay to me, but I couldn't test it more thoroughly.

I agree that not having an instruction booklet, but instead some rough comments spread out over the inside of the box, is nonsense.

I had one Speedo watch were the wristband got defective after less than one year, and so without the possibility of replacement the watch had to be thrown away. Now even worse.

So I think Speedo needs to completely throw away the gar**** they use for wristbands now. Of course, the fantasy of having options for the wristband (imagine you could choose between various designs, for various purposes) is asking far too much for our "consumer society", and so I apologise for having such ideas.

Speedo Aquacoach