5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 21 Nov 2008
I've not had a very good experience with Bible commentaries in the past (as the ones I've looked at seem either to state the obvious, or completely fail to treat the Bible as the word of God). This one is full of enthusiasm for God's message, treats Deuteronomy essentially as the book it claims to be - God's word through Moses at the end of the wilderness journey - and packs a great deal of content into a small space. It examines the text as to its significance for the people of Israel at the time, its echoes in other parts of the OT and in the NT and its continuing challenge to us today. Much of its emphasis is on the missiological importance of Deuteronomy as a book for people on the move - challenging those people to cross the boundaries, and to be a "light to lighten the Gentiles". Made me realise how much I have been missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful commentary, 15 Dec 2012
Preaching through Deuteronomy I have this commentary to be very helpful. It contains insights not found in my other commentaries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful overview., 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: Deuteronomy (Paperback)
I have used this commentary a great deal, but it was recommended to me originally by a lecturer on studies in Pentateuch from my college when I was preaching an overview of certain chapters in Deuteronomy. As such, it was extremely helpful and I've used it since with more extensive study of the book. The general commentary on the text is very clear and helpful and there is some very interesting and helpful information in the footnotes as well. All in all very helpful. Got the hardback edition from Amazon at a very good price and in excellent condition.

Deuteronomy (Understanding the Bible Commentary Series)