5.0 out of 5 stars Top fitness book for all levels
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Dunk_j

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new
Good sensible stuff in here but you probably already know it all, nothing new but I found the few photos made me want to get out and run. Tables don't work well with the kindle version.
Published 5 months ago by CAZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Top fitness book for all levels, 9 Jan 2011
I found this book really inspirational and have already recommended it to a number of friends and family. Don't be put off by the fact that it is based on elite military training. This book is totally assessable to any level of fitness. Last year I ended up spending a fortune on gym membership and got absolutely nowhere that was because I found the whole thing so boring and I expected someone else to inspire me.

The beauty of this book is that Maj McGrath inspires you to inspire yourself as he says putting your trainers on and getting out the door is the hardest bit. The exercises and programmes in this book are first rate and obviously well proven. For beginners they are very easy to pick up and for seasoned athletes I think they will inject spice into your routine. Another thing I like about this book is that it is full of challenges and that's what really motivates me. I don't expect to get to the end of feb and be in the same state I was in last year, going nowhere fast, but if I am all proceeds go to military charities not some arrogant gym owner. This book is just what the doctor ordered. Get it an get out the door!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great motivational fitness book, 9 Jan 2011
My wife bought me this book recently after settling into a typically morose post-wedding sedentry life style and gaining a few pounds in weight along the way. Although being initially cautious about the book author being a military para fitness trainer, the clear message that came across was that the biggest battle is the mental challenge of motivating yourself to actually getting out of the house to do exercise. Major McGrath's training techniques have helped me to overcome my biggest stumbling block, namely motivation, and starting to get myself fitter for the first time in years. I thoroughly reccommend this book to those people out there wanting to make a change in their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational McGrath, 15 Jan 2011
This book is simply brilliant, not only does it give you a kick up the backside to get out there and make yourself fit, it also inspires you at a deaper level particularly when you read what it takes to be a Para or being part of any other team within the military.
The book has excellent structure, is easy to read and easy to refer back to if you need to look over some advice again.
I have to admit that when you read the basic fitness requirements of a Para it makes you want to test yourself to see if you have what it takes!
I'm sure that most 'roughty toughty' blokes reading this book will be challenging themselves now, can you be as fit as Major McGrath?
A great New Year read and a book for a lifetime, one to pass on to your family in the future, its great that all royalties from the British sales of this book will go to Fairbridge and the Parachute Regiment Afghanistan Trust.
Well Done Major McGrath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward fitness guide, 19 Jan 2011
I've read a few fitness guides but found Sam McGrath's para fitness guide the most helpful. The easy to understand language, eye catching pictures and clear layout is a powerful combination. There are plenty of pictures to help demonstrate how the exercises should be done. I also found the sections on motivation techniques and para history very helpful on cold, wet evenings after work when the last thing I wanted to do was train. I would gladly recommend this book to anyone looking for a no-nonsense guide to training, it may even provide the motivation to undertake one of the many suggested challenges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book -inspiring and well written, 17 Jan 2011
A must read for all you couch potatoes who will "get round to exercise" Major Mcgrath has been there in the thick of the battle theatre and knows the importance of personal fitness - this book is not just geared for the elite - it shows how simple it is to make a real difference to your life with definable goals and makes the reader want to challenge themselves. The Paras turn ordinary people into hungry superfit human beings - the book shows how the person in the street can also make a definable difference to their own lives and improve their own self esteem - so read it, get the trainers on and get out there!! Well written and a great read andd motivational - royalties of the book go to help our heroes too so a double reason to buy it!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone - A must read!, 9 Jan 2011
This is easily the best fitness book I've ever read. Don't be put off by the daunting title, the book is brilliantly written and has something for everyone regardless of your fitness level. The book draws heavily on the parachute regiment's approach to training; widely regarded as one of the toughest fighting forces in the world. It first explains how and why the paras train in a particular way; which really brings to life how fitness is much more than having a flat stomach and being able to run up hills carrying a heavy back pack. It then explains how fitness is developed which has given me the confidence to have a go at creating my own fitness programmes. The book has 6 programs which cater for all fitness levels - the idea being that you complete one ready for the next. All of the exercises within the programs are well illustrated making it very simple to understand. There are also some excellent sections on motivation and goal setting - the best I've seen in any fitness book. Throughout the book there are some excellent examples of how the paras have performed on the battlefield each with a poignant message. I read this book over a weekend it's is so easy to read and was delighted with what I'd learnt. I now have the utmost respect for the Paras - they really are cut from a different cloth. I can't recommend this book more strongly. It's no surprise to me that Major McGrath was trusted with selecting the future generation of paras - he clearly knows his stuff and cares deeply for his trade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Para Fitness, 6 Jan 2011
Great book, very easy to read. I finished it over a weekend and it left me motivated and ready to take the necessary steps to achieve my fitness goals. I have recommended this book to all my mates, can't wait to get Para fit!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Para Fitness Guide (General Military) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars When I started with this book i was 5 foot 9 inches and nearly 19 stone in weight., 2 Mar 2013
What a book, after 3 weeks i am noticing a massive difference in my weight and fitness already. Brilliant book for beginners like me. Easy to follow and apart from the book all you need is a pair of trainers. No expensive gym memberships or equipment. Love this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good motivator, 28 Feb 2013
I. Allars (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Written in a very motivational kind of way, interspersed with short stories about Regiment Campaigns and their success strategies. Like having a pep talk to get you going.

One let down is the section on nutrition which was glossed over in 6 pages which was mostly pictures and little text. I bought the book with expectations of insight into this critical part so felt quite disappointed.

Aside from that it is a good comprehensive fitness guide which is aimed at those with little or no fitness knowledge.