on 30 October 2013
One of the few car stereos designed by someone with taste and distinction, the Blaupunkt looks clean, neat and functional.
I bought it to put in my Mercedes W124, because I wanted to replace my CD changer with a modern iPod-compatible unit, but most stereos look like they were designed by someone too blind to legally drive. This on the other hand is restrained, nicely square and elegant. it matches the interior style well. There aren't too many pointless buttons either - all the set-and-forget stuff is hidden in easy-to navigate menus, leaving the fascia free for radio presets, source, volume, etc. The quality and finish appears to be high. I don't know why it is not sold more widely in the UK.

Fitting it was a piece of cake, as it's one of the few modern devices which still comes with an ISO connector instead of something proprietary. This means that as far as wiring goes, for most people it's simply a case of unplugging the old unit and plugging in the new.

The sound quality is really good - better than the Kenwood it replaced.

It's easy to store radio presets too, though the reception on some could be better, maybe that's my car aerial to blame?

The selling point of this stereo is its USB and aux inputs iOS integration. it has USB inputs front and rear. I plugged a standard iPod cable into the back and it charges my iPod Classic and iPhone whenever I plug the device in. It also displays track details and if you get a call it tells you who's calling. The sound quality over this connection is great, but there are a couple of small niggles. The first is that usually it reads the phone really quickly and starts playing immediately, but sometimes it gets stuck in a loop reading the phone (it also reads your phonebook contacts) and you have to unplug and try again. You can switch the source to Bluetooth and get the sound that way but the quality is lower. Sometimes that's enough to nudge it into reading the phone though, so you can go back to the USB input. The second niggle is Apple's fault, really, and it's that while an iPhone is still functional when plugged in, so you can have your passenger choose music on the phone itself, on the iPod Classic the device switches to connected mode, and the only way to operate it is through the stereo itself. Blaupunkt tried their best, but choosing from 160Gb worth of tunes with a rotary dial and a push button is not the easiest thing. You couldn't do it safely while driving. Better to make a playlist up beforehand, or choose an album first, then start it playing, then pause before you plug the iPod in - it will then start playing that selection. Using the right-hand rotary/push dial to switch tracks on the move is manageable, however.
There's an SD card slot under the fascia (which removes for security - do people still nick car stereos? - and stores in the case provided) and a front aux input, both of which I have never tried. Apparently if you plug something into the front it plays over any other source, so you can have your Satnav instructions come through the stereo. I've never bothered, so I can't report if this works well. I don't think the bluetooth input can be set to do the same, which would be more useful for those with bluetooth compatible Satnavs.

Bluetooth integration is first class. The phone pairs as soon as I get in the car, and if someone calls I can answer or reject the call using the two buttons nearest the driver. hands free through the fascia microphone is fine for me, possibly as my car is very well soundproofed, but there is a remote mic input on the back and an accessory mic for those with noisier car interiors.

The manual, incidentally, does have English in it, and the radio range picks up all British stations, so don't be put off by the fact that it is shipped from Germany. Delivery was very fast.
on 27 October 2013
First problem encountered was when I connected the unit up to the wiring on my Fiat Panda,
had problems starting the car, but on making sure the radio was turned off prior to trying
to start the car, no problems.
Once I got the car started and turned the radio on, no problems, until whilst travelling along,
when the radio goes into signal search mode, all the instruments went off until it found a good
radio signal then they came back on.
I contacted Blaupunkt about the problem, and they told me to disconnect certain wires, which
seemed to be something to do with the instrument panel illumination wiring, once I had disconnected them,
no problems.
One other problem, on a sunny day, you cannot see the display on the radio panel, at night or on darker
days no problem, contacted Blaupunkt, they said "that's the way it is, and there is no fix for it".
One good point is that even when the radio is switched off, and a phone call comes in on the Bluetooth
it will automatically switch on so that you can answer your call, and switch off again automatically when
finished.

All in all a good radio, Bluetooth streaming is good, and the aux input port on the front is handy (I
plug my little Roberts Sports DAB 2 radio into that, and it works well, even on the move).
on 17 March 2015
Still to fit in the car but the build quality is excellent