4.0 out of 5 stars Very short, very uninformative but very funny
Published on 28 Nov 2004 by Michael R

3.0 out of 5 stars Very brief satirical journey into automotive debacles!
Published on 4 Sep 2010 by C. Montera

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very short, very uninformative but very funny, 28 Nov 2004
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
This cult book seems to be selling mainly on word of mouth. Don't expect a lot of information in it. The remark on the Rolls-Royce Carmague on page 36 for example is just 12 words which tell you precisely nothing about why it is allegedly a bad car. If information is what you want, try "Worst cars" which it has to be said is technically a much better book, larger with plenty of information for the same money, but only intermittently funny.
There is also a certain amount of bad language in "Crap cars" (not for the kiddies or the vicar), some poor grammar and a lot of pictures which pad out what is very short in any case. Basically what you have here is Richard Porter being savagely, wickedly funny in insulting fifty cars that in his humble opinion are among the worst ever built. There were misses - the remarks about the Trabant for instance - but most of it is gloriously, hysterically funny, probably one of the funniest books ever written, even (and perhaps especially) if you know nothing about cars. I laughed so hard at some of it I had trouble seeing the page through the tears of mirth. The neighbours must have wondered what was going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who don't even LIKE cars..., 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
I am a forteen-year-old girl. I have absolutely no interest in cars, crap or not. But I ADORED this book! My younger brother was given it for Christmas and one dull afternoon I picked it up to have a read- I seldom laugh so much at litriture! Though, I felt, less informitive on cars than insulting, it was highly amusing. Beautifully written and full of great one-liners, even those who have no interest in cars what so ever should have a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pithy., 20 Dec 2007
Mr. Stephen Jones "steve_jonesuk" (Bristol, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
The two things I look for in a book are that they be:
i) funny
ii) short
Crap Cars has each of these attributes in spades, so I loved it. To be honest, it's too short (hence only 4 stars); I read the whole thing in under an hour. But the fact that I read it cover-to-cover in one sitting must tell you something about how entertained I was by it.
It's bleedin' hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and amusing, 17 Nov 2004
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
I smiled all the way through this book. The author obviously knows his stuff when it comes to cars and his ready wit and 'take no prisoners' humour make for an excellent read. Personally, having worked at British Leyland, I would have liked the Allegro to have been number one but despite this it is a great book and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh till you cry, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
There are not many books you have to put down every so often to wipe away the tears. this is one of them. Extremely funny

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel ripped off!, 5 Sep 2012
S. Lyon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Kindle Edition)
After reading all the rave reviews I thought I was going to really enjoy this book - how wrong I was! I love Top Gear and most of the stuff they produce but this book just wasn't funny or interesting at all. Some of the car reviews are laughably short, just one or two sentences accompanied by a ropey photo or two. It honestly looks like it was thrown together in an evening - it took me about half an hour to go from cover to cover, barely raising a smile in the process. The fact I bought the Kindle version for my iPad means I can't even sell the damn thing to recoup my money! If there was a way to get a refund I would do so without hesitation as I just feel like I've been had. Very disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very brief satirical journey into automotive debacles!, 4 Sep 2010
C. Montera "Dr. Fager" (Stockton, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
Okay. I love books that tee off on anything lousy albiet cars, movies, products, etc. Richard Porter reveals some of the usual infamous cars that graced the roads from the AMC Pacer, Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega, MGB, Hyundai, Yugo, Triumph, And Cadillac's biggest mistake, the Cimarron. Porter gives mimimal information with middle school literature. So don't expect to be very informed or impressed with his automotive acumen. Rather you can flip through and read every description with images of of his chosen sets of wheels in less than an hour. I read this for mild amusement at Border's Books and finished in about 45 minutes. I guess I'm a slower reader.

If you really want to read a good book on bad cars I suggest "Lemons" ( The world's worst cars). The book gives detailed technical information along with a concise history of the developments of failed programs. And it's even funnier than Richard Porter's Crapcars.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a larf....., 20 July 2009
Mr. S. P. Thompson "SteveT" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
This book is just fantastic. I read it in bed and was told to put it down or push off 'cause I was laughing so much my wife couldn't sleep.... I tried to show her some of the pictures and captions, she said 'didn't we have one of those?' I stopped laughing at the one or two we HAD owned thinking how much money I had probably spent. Overall an enjoyable light-hearted look at some real dogs of cars and yes even if there were captions of 12 words or so they were succinct. (now leave it out about the Marinas OK, bad enough with Jeremy flippin' Clarkson....)

5.0 out of 5 stars One Smitten, Twice Try, 15 Nov 2004
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Hardcover)
I 'lost' my first copy of this when (I presume) one of my 'friends' nicked it from my toilet, so I ordered another. It arrived yesterday, I read it once again and, having forgotten quite how brilliant it is, have promoted it to my bedside table - genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but good, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crap Cars (Top Gear) (Kindle Edition)
the sad point is I owned a couple of the featured works of art, the good point is I can hide behind the fact I was young and stupid !.
great read just wished the reviews were a little longer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›