Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 13 July 2012
Well, having just read Blackout and the first part of Countdown which is included at the back of the book, I couldn't wait to get hold of this. Initially I was horrified to discover that it didn't seem to be available in the UK but then Amazon came to the rescue!

If you enjoyed the "Feed" trilogy, then you MUST read this. It's excellent but I do feel that it could have been longer and been a proper prequel rather than a short "novella". It's left me wanting much more!

Personally I feel that Mira Grant has missed a real trick here to get a really atmospheric and haunting novel out there; for instance there's a couple of places where Mira just says "...and six were bitten in the struggle..." and similar lines where the first people Rise. What happened? How did the struggle come about, what did the non-Risers think was happening...etc etc. So much fear and horror and other emotions could have been included here to make it really leap out at you. She could have added so much more detail about various incidents and it would have made a huge difference to the whole thing. It was good but could have been even better!! And be prepared for a lump in your throat when you read the end. *sniffle*.

On the whole highly recommended - enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
Having finished the Newsflesh Trilogy (Feed,Deadline: The Newsflesh Trilogy: Book 2 and Blackout: The Newsflesh Trilogy: Book 3), I was pleased to see an excerpt from this short story tucked into the final instalment.

And so I bought it, and here I am having now read it and still wanting more.

This is a great little story, showing a real insight into how Kellis-Amberlee started. I agree with the other reviewer that it could easily have been expanded to novel length. Perhaps in the future it will be - there are so many different ways that this period could be written about.

Personally, I'm heading here (San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats) for more of the same.
on 26 January 2013
I personally love this book, after reading the newsflesh series I found that one of my favourite authors (Mira Grant) was on kindle! so I bought this book and really enjoyed it but the only negative comment I would leave is that it is rather short, but don't let that put you off. If you enjoyed her previous books I am just sure you would love this one.
on 17 May 2013
Good novella, setting out the prequel to Feed and uncovering the Rising in more depth than mentioned in the series. If you have read the trilogy, you will find this interesting in terms of character development. If you have not; it's a good introduction to Mira Grant 's writing style and the creation of the dystopia seen in later novels. Have fun!
on 18 July 2014
Love this author, post apocalyptic zombie fest, this is essentially the prequel to Feed and the two books that followed it. It's really outstanding, if you loved them, you will love this.
on 6 September 2013
for fans of the newsflesh series, this is a must. told from a few different characters experiences and points of view this is the story rising, as it happened
on 25 April 2014
Thank God for this I finished the first three books and was getting withdrawal symptoms ... I love Mira Grant
on 1 May 2013
Love this book. Goes well with the other books from the series. Will definitely read more by this author .