4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons
This review is meant for people who do not have a 3DS at all and are wondering which model to buy.

I bought this as an upgrade to my old DS lite so that I'd be able to play 3DS games and play my old DS games on a larger screen.

Published 12 months ago by Ross Original

2.0 out of 5 stars What the hell?
Treated it to myself for my birthday, arrived two days after I orders it which was quicker then I suspected but did not include a charger which I had to wait a day to go get one, once I got the charger I found out that the actual console was broken, the charger socket was bent inside so I have to wait a whole week for a replacement.
Published 11 months ago by Ashley

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, 2 Oct 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)

Overall this is a very good system and I'm glad I bought this, I'm enjoying the games I bought for it and it's a fun and easy to use system, I REALLY LIKE THIS CONSOLE, but there are a few things that could be better and I recognise that other people considering buying may want different things from their console, so for people still not sure I have put together a pro vs. con review to help them decide. For comparisons between the standard 3DS and the XL I've been looking at my nephew's 3DS.

Let's get the cons out of the way first:

- as many people have mentioned, the XL does not come with a charger, you will have to buy it separately, but it's only about £5 from Amazon so it's not that big a price difference, you can pay more than that just for having a different colour, this is just something to be aware of when buying: unless you have a compatible charger already, order one with your purchase.
- the larger size and weight of this console makes me feel a bit paranoid that I might drop it when playing, whereas the smaller DS I have is very easy to keep a good grip on and I feel comfortable letting my nephews use it without fear of them dropping it but I wouldn't let them use my 3DSXL, so for people with small hands or buying for their kids the standard 3DS might be better. Also, the back plate of the XL clicks a little when pressed in the middle, as it's a removable plate and made from slightly flexible plastic, whereas on previous smaller versions the back has a small plate in it that could be removed for replacing a damaged battery, etc so the standard 3DS has a more solid back.
- the larger size also makes the device less portable than its smaller counterpart, which is pretty much pocket-sized, so if you want to carry the console around with you a lot you might prefer the smaller 3DS, there are some neat carry-cases for the XL though.
- the SD card on the XL is a lot harder to remove (if you want to replace it or put music or videos on it) than on the standard 3DS, I found it quite fiddly and tricky to get to.
- the headphone jack is on the front, which means it can be a bit uncomfortable if resting the 3DSXL against your chest while playing, but all the DS and 3DS range have their headphone jack at the front, I'd just expected the larger console to have it at the back as there's enough space for it.
- the 3D effect can be hard to maintain on some games, and can make the models appear more pixelated.
- the games on the nintendo e-shop seem rather expensive compared to retail price, and that goes for the virtual console games too, you could buy physical copies second hand for about the same price as the downloads. I also think the full 3DS games would quickly fill up the provided SD card so I'd recommend buying the retail versions.
- Yes, the 3DSXL is expensive, and for some people not worth it. Currently the standard red and blue versions are the cheapest on Amazon, so if you don't want to pay out too much get those, but if price is your biggest concern then there's the ordinary 3DS (which is marginally cheaper and comes with an adapter) and the 2DS (which is much cheaper but with no 3D and is solid rather than hinged) to consider too, I do think the console is worth the price though for what you get.
- the built in browser is kind of... bad, it doesn't play flash videos, (although there is now a youtube ap. available for free from the nintendo e-shop, so you can at least watch youtube videos, though not in great quality) and for most websites it uses the mobile phone version of the site -- but let's face it, you don't buy a games console to browse the internet, you'd have a smartphone for that or just use your computer.

However, there are a lot of good reasons to buy this system:

For the XL specifically:
- the 3D effect does look surprisingly good, as I said it can be a little tricky to keep in the sweet-spot but when you do the effect does add a lot of depth, especially on the larger screen.
- both the 3DS and 3DSXL have three built-in cameras, one on the inside to take pictures of your face for some games and applications, and two on the outside which allow you to take 2D and 3D photos and also videos, which can be played back on the 3DS or transferred to a computer using the SD card.
- the larger screens really do look good, when comparing my old DS lite to the 3DS XL the difference in the size and clarity of the screens is very clear, the 3DS XL provides a much better gaming experience just in how much better the games look when played on it. I'd recommend screen-protectors though, as the screens will scratch, especially the bottom one when you use the stylus, and also the default brightness setting is quite glaring, so turn that down to three or four.
- the 3DSXL comes with a decent sized 4GB SD card, twice the size of the standard 3DS, on which you can save game data, audio, pictures and video etc. and transfer them to your computer by removing the card and putting it into an SD card slot or getting a USB adapter that will do the same, you can also transfer mp3 music onto the SD card to play them on the 3DS and there are programs you can find online to convert video into a format and size that you can play on the 3DS too. As I said the only trouble is that it can be a bit fiddly getting the card in and out.
- the hinge clicks into place nicely, the build is sturdy (and feels much more substantial than the old DS lite I have) and there are a lot of small features that are improved over the standard 3DS like the position of the stylus and the finger-print-resistant surface.
- the rounded edges make this much more comfortable to hold than the smaller 3DS, which my nephews have, and if you have larger hands you will find it easier to use the controls on the XL than the smaller version, also the analogue pad is actually pretty good, though I still prefer to use the D-pad for most games.

For the 3DS family in general:
- the home page and the various aps you get with the console and can purchase for it are very nicely laid out and easy to use, and the 3DS comes with a number of built in applications that are rather neat such as the letter box (update: which *used to* let you send notes to friends but alas due to a few irresponsible users sending inappropriate messages and pictures the sending of notes has now been disabled) and a few built in games like the mii plaza games (although some of these require streetpasses) and "face raiders" that are quite fun, so you can use this console straight away even if you haven't bought any games for it yet.
- parental security controls, if you want to buy one for your kids then on all the 3DS platforms there are parental controls you can use to disable internet access and some other features if you don't want your kids using them, you can read more about it on the nintendo webiste.
- the streetpass and friends list features are very handy and let you link up with friends online for multiplayer easily, and both the 3DS and 3DSXL support WEP and WPA security for wifi, whereas the DS only supported WEP. There's also some neat things you can do with the mii plaza games by collecting street passes, as I mentioned above.
- although I mentioned that the retail games on the e-shop are a tad expensive, there are a great variety of games available on it, and some reasonably priced download-exclusives, plus although I think the virtual console games are a little over-priced this does let you play some great old titles on this portable platform, which is a neat feature.
- as for retail games, well there is a great variety, and they generally use both the touch screen and the 3D effect well, but I go into more detail about that below.

Games
The most important thing to consider when buying the console is whether it will cater to your gaming tastes. For me the main reason for buying this console is the games, there is a good variety of genres that cater for a range of ages, including games for children, games for teens and adults (including some you might not expect like Metal Gear Solid and Tekken), and games that everyone will enjoy, but most of all the games I bought this console for were the exclusive titles like Mario, Pokémon, Professor Layton, etc.
It's also great that as well as 3DS games you can play old DS and DSi games on this system, which means you'll have a lot of games available to you between those platforms, so if you don't have a DS at all but want to play the games then this is the handheld for you since it will play them all. You can't play Gameboy Advance games on the 3DS like on the old DS, but the gameboy advance is pretty cheap second hand these days if you really wanted one, or if you're upgrading from the old DS with a GBA slot, just keep the old one, as you won't get all that much in trade value, then you can still play your old GBA games and also do self-trading in games like pokémon.

I hope my review has been helpful, I've tried to cover every consideration so sorry if I seem to waffle on a bit.

Summary:

Overall this is the best handheld console Nintendo have produced to this day, so really it boils down to exactly what you want from a gaming device. Take a good look at the games available, if they don't spark your interest then you're better off with a smartphone, but if nostalgia grabs you when you see Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox 3D or Pokémon X and Y then go for it. As for other DS models, well if you're buying for young kids and want something sturdy and less expensive there's the 2DS, if you want something more portable or you want a console for smaller hands that will still have 3D then get the standard 3DS, but for the best visuals and ease of use I'd say the 3DS XL is the best in the range, just don't forget to buy the power adapter with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much better 3ds experience overall, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
I bought the 3ds XL the day after it's release and also did the trading in of my original 3ds like others no doubt. This was not an easy decision as i loved my aqua/blue 3ds and probably like other people was sceptical about the XL version, however i need not have worried as many of the problems with the orig 3ds have been rectified such as the battery life, the top screen being scratched against the bottom screen, the stylus positioning, and comfortability being vastly improved (i am an adult gamer = larger hands) My first impressions when taking it out the box was WOW it's big but also instantly comfortable what with the now rounded corner design (no more digging into your palms on longer gaming sessions) and it just felt natural to me as an adult.

I have to say i also agree with another reviewer here in that i don't think the 3d sweet spot has been changed from the orig 3ds but it's less of an problem keeping the 3d as it should be maybe due to the bigger screen and i think with use people will adjust anyway.

The first game i loaded up was zelda OOT and oh boy did that impress me it just felt more like i could see the depth of the 3d better but also bigger and link on epona on the title credits was fantastic to watch and hear which leads me on to the audio this in my opinion has been improved it just sounds crisper and clearer and like the orig 3ds has plenty of volume (with or without headphones).

The clamshell casing and matte finish is more appealing and much less prone to fingerprint prob's (i got the blue/black version as blue is my favourite colour) also when you open the XL you will be very pleased to hear a nice firm click in 3 different positions that do not wobble or suffer from the orig 3ds floppy hinge design (yeah it annoyed me aswell) another big improvement is the top screens reduced glare (apparently from 12% is now down to 3% from a nintendo article) so hopefully will be better if you are taking photo's outside for example.

The lower touch screen does seem more responsive to me (though maybe just me) and all the button positioning is better laid out due to the increased size of the console.

The circle pad, d-pad, and face buttons are all responsive and the start, select, and home buttons are now actually separate buttons (very welcome) the best thing is the little rubber pads that when the lid is closed now prevent the top screen from rubbing against the raised bevel which caused no end of worry to me with the orig 3ds.

I played zelda OOT for about 3 hours last night and it felt much more immersive and just a more engrossing experience with the bigger display everything was a joy to use, also the lower touch screen is less fiddly now i was a bit sceptical about the top screens brightness at first but having played now i think it's probably equal to the orig 3ds (so no prob's there) and i have resi revelations yet to play :) (though not till my birthday at end of august darn it) others have said the mario games are amazing on it so lots to look forward to :)

I kind of hope that what i have said above helps you decide if you are wanting to upgrade from your old 3ds and don't get me wrong i loved and always will love the orig 3ds and as many critic reviews have stated there is nothing new technically on the XL as far as improved resolutions graphically etc. but i do feel that nintendo have fixed most of the orig 3ds prob's that annoyed most users in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
At first I was a tad skeptical about the Nintendo 3ds XL being an overall better product than the original version but I have to tell you that this product seems better in every single way. The 3ds xl has a much better 3ds effect than the original, the xl feels more robust and sturdy and those two MASSIVE screens are just amazing to use during gameplay.
If you are thinking of buying this product then I highly recommend you do as it is far better than the original in every single way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but let down by the power cable, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
I wasn't sure whether to buy the normal 3DS or spring for the XL due to the price difference, although after noticing you can get Zelda or Mario for free with the XL it was only £10 difference so that swung it. Amazon don't make it obvious, there is a tiny link that says buy this as a bundle.(At the time of writing this review). Even if I had paid the £40 difference and not got Zelda for free I would have still made the right choice.The screens are large and clear and present a good quality image despite stretching the same amount of pixels over a larger area. I don't plan on using the 3D feature much but it is nevertheless very impressive. I couldn't actually believe how good the effect was when I turned it on for awhile.

The sound, despite being from small speakers is more than loud enough and very clear. The touchpad responds well. Also the quality of the casing is better than I had thought it would be after looking at photos online. It's a brushed metal effect on top which looks very nice.

It's a very well made product and a lot of fun to play. The only thing which surprised me and anyone buying a 3DS XL in the UK should know is that it doesn't come with a power cable (of any type). I had heard that a docking cradle / mains adapter wasn't included as with the normal 3DS but I had assumed there would be a USB cable for charging, or at the very least a USB port that my phone charger or an equivalent would fit. Unfortunately not, so I've had to order a charger for £2.50 from Amazon and will now have to wait a few days until I can play my 3DS XL again. If you are a parent thinking to buy this as an xmas present you should probably be aware of this.

Apart from that...fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars 3DS improved, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
The 3ds XL is a much improved version of the original 3DS. The lack of a power adapter was a tad silly, but those are cheap to purchase. All in all, a solid Nintendo handheld once again.

2.0 out of 5 stars What the hell?, 29 Oct 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
I was very scepticle at first about the 3D feature but wow it is great. Why cant they do this for 42" TV's. The XL screen is so worth the little extra too.
Annoying that we had to buy the charger separately. I can understand it for phones as they are generally updated every 18-24 months, but how many DS's does one buy. I should really give a lower score for that but it has no reflection on the quility of the DS itself so kept with the 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars G, 14 Nov 2013
Mr. J. rawet (Duelists Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Really good, very happy with my 3DS XL

One thing - It's not really obvious enough that the console doesn't come with a charger so be aware when you order

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
Bought this for my sons 6th birthday. he had the nintendo dsi and this one is much better, screen is much bigger for him and there is much more to do on this nintendo than his last one. Also great as you can turn off the 3d on the side which is great as after a while it starts to hurt his eyes. i would recommend this product to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reluctant purchase, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL) (Console)
Reluctantly bought the 3ds XL as I wanted the Miracle Mask game and of course it wasn't compatible with the old console. Boy do these companies know how to extract ever more money out of us! Still now I've got it I'm pleased enough but would have been just as happy without the 3D, which I think is superfluous to the enjoyment of the game.

Handheld Console - Blue (Nintendo 3DS XL)