4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller!!
Published on 21 Mar 2007 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end
I thoroughly enjoyed the book until the last few chapters and 'revelations'. The ending was poor, the loose ends relating to Richard Umbrio were not tied up, and the guilty characters were not given enough substance previously in the story. I like most of Lisa Gardeners' writing, however she is not in the same league as many other of the genre that can keep you guessing...
Published on 18 Nov 2007 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller!!, 21 Mar 2007
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
I've now read most of Lisa Gardner's books and I have to say that she is definitely getting better with each book. Hide is definitely her best by far and also shows a lot of promise for Gardner in the future. If she keeps improving the way she is, then she will definitely become a well-deserved international bestseller. This was a great, fast-paced, suspense-filled, chilling thriller that was unputdownable from beginning to end - never flailing in plot or pace. I loved the fact that it is a continuation of sorts from one of her previous novels, Alone and would be very pleased if she continued to use Bobby Dodge in her future books. He is a great character. However, if you haven't read Alone do not be put off. The book is so cleverly written that you do not feel like you've missed anything.

If you are a fan of any of the greats - Patricia Cornwall, Michael Connelly et al - then you will definitely enjoy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hide, 21 Mar 2007
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
I was reluctant to read another crime novel, as i find that they are all very similar. Fast paced action (which eventually feels like a tangling of facts and information, so you soon forget everything) hard boiled detectives and the usual psycophathic killer.

That's why i was pleasantly surprised with Gardner's novel. I have never read Gardner before but i am sure she will now be on my list of preferred authors. This was a well-structured, pacy crime thriller with plenty of suspects to keep you guessing until the very end.

There was a constant eerie, chilling feel about the book as some of it is set in a mental institute. Overall, a very reliable thriller to keep you hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 May 2007
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
This is crime writing of the highest quality and Lisa Gardner is again at the top of her game as she delivers another novel rich in believable characters and full of edge of the seat suspense. It was also great to meet Bobby Dodge again, having been previously introduced to him in "Gone". I cannot recommend this book highly enough. In a word, Brilliant!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chilling Tale, 23 Feb 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
Lisa Gardner sold her first novel when she was just 20 years old. In 1993 she graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in international relations. She lives in New Hampshire. She has now written a string of novels that have been extremely well received by the reading public.

Annabelle has had many names in her life, but she never knew why. Her father had moved her from city to city from the age of ten, changing names and addresses, careers, but Annabelle never knew what they were running away from.

Now in her thirties and with both parents dead Annabelle has settled in Boston, but she is still nervous when she leaves home. She still tries to blend into a crowd. Then, one day a multiple grave is discovered at the State Mental Hospital. It contains six young girls left there to die in an underground chamber decades ago, while their captor looked on.

When Annabelle's true name appears in the paper wrongly identifying her as one of the dead girls, she finally realises that this was the work of the monster her father was running away from. But the killer is still on the loose after all this time and he is looking for her . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Read, 3 May 2007
Ms. K. P. Hindley "kathhind" (kathhind) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
From the moment I sat down to read this novel I was enthralled. As a first time reader of this author, I too did not know what to expect but I was not disappointed. I was hooked and can't wait to read another of her novels. I am not easily scared, but this had me looking out the front window suspiciously at my neighbours houses. Wonderful fast-pacing writing. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Holiday Book, 30 April 2007
J. Ashton (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
I have never read anything by this author before, to be honest, I'm not much of a reader. This book, however, had me hooked from the start. I bought it as an easy read for my holiday but I just couldn't put it down.

It is easy to follow & really draws you in.

The 2 detectives in this book are characters from a previous book, but you didn't need to read that book to understand these characters, although I have now bought the previous book & can't wait to get stuck in!

I really would recommend this if you want a book that gives you fascinating characters & a chilling story line!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardner Classic!, 28 Jun 2007
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
The follow up from 'Alone' which you don't need to read first, but you won't want to read afterwards as this book repeats the whole story and ending. Hide is an excellent sequel which shows Gardner improving with more comlex plots and characters. This story is in the Classic Coben territory with Annabelle trying to find out why she has been hiding for 25 years ( deep family secrets ) and what connection she has to a series of kidnapping (around a mental asylum) and murders of young girls (serial killer) with similarities to the Catherine Gagnon trauma(Alone). Thankfully for us, Detective Bobby Dodge is at hand again to weave us through many suspects to a classic finale. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 20 Feb 2007
Dr. Babus Ahmed "Ajooba Cats" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
This was an absolutely thrilling read, that had me guessing until the end. An intriguing plot, which asks more questions than it initially answers, and so compelling I've read this start to finish in a day. I've read every book Ms Gardner has written, and can recommend this even as a first read. Brava! I wait with great anticipation for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Reader of this Author, 13 April 2007
Karen L. Collins "Cadge" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hide (Hardcover)
I had never read anything by Lisa Gardner, sticking to Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly and Harlan Coben. I had run out of books and waiting for the new ones and decided to buy this and see what she was like. I really, really enjoyed this book and could not put it down! I usually read for half an hour or so when I go to bed but I read this in two days! I now have to find the rest of her books!!! I am hooked. I found it very well written and witty, like Ian Rankin and Harlan Coben. Hope you do too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense Thriller, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Hide (Paperback)
Bobby Dodge is called to the case of the gruesome discovery of six mummified corpses in an underground chamber on the grounds of an abandoned Mental Hospital. On the body of one of the victims Bobby's finds a woman's necklace with the name Annabelle.

The next day Annabelle Granger sees an article in the paper stating she is dead. For years Annabelle together with her parent have been running from city to city with assumed identities, why she never knew. She is now alone with no friends only a dog for company.

Annabelle decides it's time to stop this, so she goes to the police station and meets Dective D. D. Warren from the Boston P.D. She explains her story to D.D who also gets Bobby to listen in. They of course don't immediately belive Annabelle. But they have no other leads so they investigate all the information Annabelle gives them.

Annabelle also starts getting late night called and weird presents. Does this mean the killer has her in his target?

As the case progresses they meet a man named Charlie who says he worked in the hospital and he gives them a list of suspects. He also finds out where Annabelle lives and meets her one night in the park.

Annabelle also learned why her parent did what they did and she gets a new respect for them and what they did to save her.

This book gets better the more you read it, it was slow at first but keep reading and you want to know who the villian is. It is quiet a surprise...

Hide (Detective D.D. Warren 2)
4.99