4.0 out of 5 stars Cube U30GT
Feeling a little cautious after reading a few negative reviews I purchased mine from a UK supplier.

I am pleased to say my experience with this tablet has been very good, the one I have has none of the quality issues mentioned in the other reviews. In fact it has a nice solid feel to it, that gives a good impression of quality

The screen is very...
Published 24 months ago by Alfie

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly brilliant
The Cube U30GT. Well if you're looking at this you are probably in a similar position to us; wanted a decent tablet, not a big fruit based products fan and don't want to pay a fortune for what is essentially a gadget.

To be completely fair I will have to split this review into three parts; hardware, software and vendor.

Hardware:
This is my...
Published on 19 Aug 2012 by Valy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly brilliant, 19 Aug 2012
This review is from: Cube U30GT - 10.1 inch HD (1280*800) IPS display 1.6GHz dual core CPU quad core GPU RK3066 android 4.0.4 ice cream sandwich tablet bluetooth, wifi,1GB DDR3 16GB storage, new google play store, flash player installed (Personal Computers)

Hardware:
This is my first tablet, although I have friends with ipads and have used several other perceived 'quality' brands. We ordered two of these and they arrived quickly (about a week from order) a week ago, and we are so far impressed with the performance and quality. When you open the box, throw away the Chinese instructions it feels solid and well made, on a par with tablets costing twice as much. The screen is lovely, large and bright, easily viewable from angles and responsive to touch (rumoured to be the same screen as the last ipad). Web pages load quickly, games and video run smoothly. The wifi works, even in the garden. Have used it with a bluetooth keyboard and it was fine. The camera is acceptable for a phone 5 years ago.... not great at only 2mp, but this seems to be standard on tablets. Sound is also not great, but let's be honest as before with the camera, are any? and what did you expect is only a few mm thick? We stuck in a 32Gb micro sd card (make sure you format it to ntfs, there are apparently issues with fat32 formatted cards) and we have all the memory space we need. All in all the cube is as you would hope for and possibly (as in my case) better than you expect it to be.

The only real letdown on the hardware side is it does not come with a UK charger. Chinese again with the kind of cheap multi plug adaptor you fear might set light to your house if you leave plugged in. So be prepared to fork out for a decent charger.

Software:
Ok this is so far a massive disappointment. Ice cream sandwich is excellent, smooth intuitive and seems like a nice operating system (if you can use a smart phone you will have no problem). BUT..... the cube comes preloaded with software that is basically a complete waste of space and system resources, unless of course you are in China or understand Chinese. And I so far cannot find a way, or app, to remove these items without 'rooting' the tablet, which of course would invalidate any warranty. The language is set for English (US) but easily changed in settings to UK. Having said that it does have full access to google play, and plays flash without any problems. When first using google play we got a couple of errors but 10 minutes research on google and a couple of setting changes (data cache clears if you must know) and you will be up and running downloading all the apps your heart desires (as long as you have a google account).

Vendor:
The item arrived quickly, well packed (though the bubble wrap was oddly damp) and we were sent order confirmation with tracking number. DracoTek have responded to all of our emails promptly and courteously, but not really provided any solutions to the above software problems, but have promised to send a UK charger.

Conclusion:
Would like to have given it three and a half stars really, but it's not quite a four because of the issues above and no manual. So let's cut to the chase if you want perfection out of the box pay several hundred 's more for an ipad or samsung etc. While in my opinion this is a good quality tablet, especially for the price. It is obviously shipped straight in from the factory in China and is not adequately prepared for the UK market, which is a shame as its basically a nice piece of kit, and just changing some software and the charger would make it an amazing five star bargain that I reckon would fly off the shelves.

So if you're a bit of a geek like to tinker and don't mind spending some time configuring it (like my husband!), then the Cube U30GT is a good buy. If you want it to work out of the box, or you're giving it to your kid possibly not the tablet for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cube U30GT, 24 Aug 2012

The screen is very bright and clear with no dead pixels as far as I can see. Playback of video footage is very good. I did consider buying an Ipad (could not justify spending that much cash on a gimmick) and looked at a few in the shops. I would say the screen is as good as the Ipad 2 and only a little less detailed than the Ipad 3. At the price it has to be one of the best.

I would agree the sound from the internal speaker is not that good (not HiFi by a long way), but via headphones it is superb. This is fine with me.

Android OS is nice to use and internet surfing is a real pleasure with no issues connecting to my WiFi at any location in our house. Amazingly its as least as quick on the web as my Sony laptop with an i7 chip!

I agree it is pre-loaded with Chinese Apps that are hard to remove, but they take up very little memory space (10MB) and can be disabled easily within the settings so no longer appear in the Apps list. Not a true fix, but less annoying. Apps download and work from Google play with no problems so far.

Amazingly as soon as I logged on to google play store it automatically updated the email settings and linked to my Gmail account - no effort!

I am really pleased with the device and may have to buy one for my wife as she was so impressed and wants one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Responsive, Quick, Excellent Wi-fi +Bluetooth..! Plays 64gb SDXC!, 29 Aug 2012
This is my 4th tablet after a Samsung p1000, a Samsung 10v, an Ainol Novo and an Onda Vi40. I write this because I feel that some other reviews here are out of main quest, and I have to inform Amazon potential clients the truth. In my hands on experience, U30gt is an excellent tablet, very quick and responsive, with a brilliant screen and with all adequate software preloaded. WiFi is very strong. Handling sufficient. Only music/sound level leaves something to be desired. Additionaly, it has a very usefull bluetooth built in and it can use -- yes! -- 64 gb SDXC micro card, plus the inheritated 16gb sd card of course ! No kind of chinese quirkies. I use it for books, comics, films and web, with outstanding user friendly results.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cube U30GT - 10.1 inch HD: Do not buy direct from Cube!, 5 Jan 2013
Ups but mostly downs with this tablet

Ups:
Very good screen. Very good resolution and colours
Responsive controls

Niggly:
I hear that they have updated the cube but when I bought mine summer 2012 there was only one speaker so sound was a "bit tinny" as it had only one speaker
Wi-fi reception not very strong - does not like walls!
No instructions supplied in English, but navigation pretty intuitive
The tablet automatically turns itself on if charging

The ugly:
I had a problem with the battery
I emailed Cube. First problem is I cannot speak Mandarin and their English is not much better
They email back that it is the fault of the charger
I buy an alternative charger in UK and it works for a while but then will not charge at all
Cube say that they will send me a charger
They post it 2 weeks later after I remind them. It takes a further 5 weeks to arrive
Of course that does not work
Cube say that they will repair the tablet. They do not offer to refund or replace even though I have an extended warrantee
I send the tablet by Royal Post 6 weeks ago and I keep checking but they say that they have not yet received it. I am not holding my breath

The moral of the story
Make sure that you buy from a reputable dealer who has received good reviews
Better still buy another make - A1CS and Ployer for example

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap for a reason, 17 Aug 2012
Not a lot I can say about this other than it needs to be avoided.
The problem is its just been rushed and has lots of faults reported if you read the forums.I only found out after I got mine.I had terrible WiFi reception With it which left the tablet of no use.

The built in Speaker is also really poor quality.

I read that the wifi Is a widely reported problem and the other reviewer has a screen issue. My advice would be to avoid it, hence why I m writing this review to warn others.

Credit to dracotek as their customer service was always prompt and helpfull.

I've now replaced it with a Google nexus 7 and am really pleased with it. Much better quality sound and the WiFi works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a TABLET!, 14 Nov 2012
Where to start. Its a tablet. What can I expect from a tablet? What do I want of a tablet?

I got this unit to A. Show pics on a loop for demo of my cakes. and B. view footage on the way to and from work.

Can it store my films and you tubes and play them back, like all tablets do? Yup. But the quality of the film is shown up on this unit. On my phone I can watch lots of films. But the quality is perfect on the phone (Samsung galaxy S). When films are played on this unit I am only now seeing the poor quality of the movie. I will have to download things on a higher setting or it will be shown up by this unit. When I have down-loaded a 1080p you tube, I get briliant footage.
One letdown however is the lack of a colour toggle. I will have to look for a video colour corrector in the apps market for one, or do it on the pc before I place the footage on the unit. By the way, I dont download on the unit, other than some pics and PDFs. Leave the donky work for the home pc.

Photos look vivid and crisp. It has a montage ability but no time function on it. If you play a track before setting up the montage, it will play at the same time. Vids too.

Sound via the speaker is crap. Nuf said.
Sound via the headphones are as good as any electronic device. Some are better than others. On my headphones to my ears, this unit is as good as an ipod, but without the jog-wheel. In fact, this unit is better than an ipod and is on par with my phone's, but with out the variety of surround options. This unit has miriad pre-set equaliser settings and a 3D and base setting. All make for a good sounding unit...via headphones. So a recomendation would be to use the blu-tooth settings and use a blu-tooth head set or speaker.

So far, for my real needs, this unit can do it. It can play a photo montage to music. It can play a movie or youtube etc to music.

I understand that some folk are worried about the charger unit. Question? Is the Chinese charger safe? Answer; Dunno. But I got this unit from a UK dealer, and they would be pretty thick to supply a non Euro-standard plug and charger. So I am going to err on the side of caution and ask them over the phone. But I am not worried still.

The unit recognises all of my SD cards. I dont have a 64gb. I have a 1, a 2, an 8, a 16, and a 32gb. I here on these reviews that it recognises a 64. Read the other reviews to seek answers there.
This unit seems to be a 32gb. Looking at the internal storage, it has 28.58gb. Effectivly (doing the maths) a 32gb. With my 32 or a 64 card, what more can one want?

Quicker now. WiFi works fine using a Virgin unit (UK) All downloads are no faster or slower than my phone WiFi.

Unit has installed all the other junk that one expects it to; like my you tube account, my skype, my Gmail, my yahoo, my app store etc. No issues at all. I instantly downloaded Angry birds starwars, and temple-run. All fine there too.

One other thing I will use this unit for would be PDFs. I just downloaded a few that mean things to me, and all work brilliantly on Adobe Reader (I think I downloaded it last night?) The screen is fast, responsive and accesable (in that I mean that all the highlight and other functions available on a PDF are there.

As I type the review, I am testing the unit. It is smoother, faster and intuative enough to not worry about it being clunky (which it isnt). The keypad is faultless too.
I have not tested it on my HD telly via the HD cable (seperate purchase). Anyone done that yet?

All in all, what I dont like of this unit is the lack of decent sound via the speaker. This sucks. Realy, it is so sucky, that I could use it to climb a tower block by having it suck on the windows. Sooooo bad. But; I let that slide, as the rest is worth it for the price. I will get a speaker. I will spend 20 max. It would be worth it.

I will get a cover for it, any recommendations?

Tom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cube U30GT Amaizing, 11 Sep 2012
It is a very good Tablet.

If you want a tablet to work, it is better than asus transformer hundred of times....

If you want it to see films or multimedia, is very good. With a new rom improve his statistics a lot ;)

I recommend this tablet for 2 reasons:
There are many cookers for new roms.
It has a very good processor.

Vendor:

Excellent.

I receive in a perfect state the tablet in no more than 10 days.

I'm from spain and for me it was a very good waitting time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money!, 4 Sep 2012
Delivery:

The delivery took just 5 days directly from China, but something went wrong because the post services haven't advised me that the item arrived.
So, I had to pick it up at the post station, it stood there for 10 days which is the waiting period by law and after that is returned to sender :) I picked it up in the last minute!

Anyway, something went wrong and I suppose that the fault is the Portuguese post services no doubt about that.
So back to the begin, the delivery was really fast considering the distance.

The package:

Excellent packaging.
I was brilliantly wrapped in massive bubble plastic sheet. It was a hell of a job to open it :)
The equipment box arrived a bit dented but considering the packaging job and the huge distance that has traveled (over so many hands (and some of them aren't really that nice handling boxes) I've to consider it a good packaging job.

Inside the box:

Two sets of headphones/earplugs
A charger with EU adapter
An U30GT 10"
Two USB adapters

Wireless:
The bad wireless reception, is one of the most spoken characteristics.
Well, I've tested inside the house and outside with a normal router and It handled OK.
But I guess It could have better reception.

The Battery:
Straight out of the box and after standing fifteen days, five of them were traveling and other 10 days at the post facilities! I've used it between 4 to 5 hours without stop. Install/uninstall apps and running games like hungry birds...

Heat:
No heating problems at all, even when charging and using at same time!

Charging:
I charged one time till now took me two and half ours maybe three hours maximum to reach 99%.

USB:
I've transferred 500 Megabytes a few times with an excellent speed (no issues at all)

Video:
I've watched some HQ videos at youtube without any problems.
Fluid without glitches.

Sound:
The speaker it will do the job (not a crystal clear sound).
If you set it properly it's possible to use it without being annoying.
Don't expect an excellent sound from the speaker!
The headphone jack can get you an average sound quality/volume without problems.
Bottom of line keep your expectations low about the sound quality/volume.

Display:
Good quality display, I've seen far worst in higher quality devices at double of the price.
Sharp and bright It can make your eyes bleed :)
I guess is not that good for reading but with some work you can manage a few hours of reading.

Headphones/Earplugs:
Personally, I don't like to use earplugs.
The quality is a bit less than average I would say cheap.

What I haven't tested YET:
HDMI, SD CARD.

Overall:
Delivery 5*
PACKAGING 5*
WIFI connectivity 3.5* 4* maximum.
BATTERY 4*
SPEAKER quality/volume 2* 2.5* maximum.
DISPLAY brightness/sharpness etc 4* 4.5* maximum.
CONNECTORS USB/HDMI/Sound Jack etc 4.5*
PROCESSOR/MEMORY 4* to 4.5* based on my experience

Building quality is very decent It looks nice despite the logo at the back and some paper stickers around the metal frame to control warranty :) (mine came lose)
Perhaps, the cube firmware is the worst scenario.
Connectivity and speed is ok, using it and charging at the same time with no problem at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor screen - poor quality control, 15 Aug 2012
Received two defective devices. Both have had grey shadowing/marks on the screen. Would avoid this device until quality control is sorted out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to return it, 18 Jan 2013
Mrs. H. Stride (northampton, uk) - See all my reviews
I brought this for my Mum for christmas. The camera wouldn't work. She couldn't get into the galley. Blue and red dots and lines appeared. So I had to return it. They were very would about returning it and refunding me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›