on 24 October 2012
I have never before come across a narration quite like the one in this novel, which made for a thoroughly enjoyable read. It is set over a course of nine therapy sessions, and consists solely of the main protaganists dialogue to the therapist. There is absolutely nothing else. Occasionally she responds to questions the therapists asked, but we never hear the therapists questions, we only assume from the context of the reply.

This made for an extremely unique story telling. The length of this novelette was perfect, as much as I loved the style of the narration I think it would have began to get old if it had carried on for much longer, as it was I didn't find myself losing interest but there was still time for plenty of background information to be filled in.

It was obvious from quite early on that there was going to be a bit of a twist towards the end, and I had a pretty accurate idea just what this was going to be from about half way through, but as the protaganist herself says at the end she left plenty of clues throughout the narration, so this was not unexpected.

I'd recommend this for anyone looking for something a little bit different, very enjoyable distraction.
on 16 September 2012
A young girl approaches a psychiatrist to help decide if she should kill someone or not, what will the outcome be?

This is a very intriguing novelette that makes you want to keep reading to find out what the outcome will be, and very cleverly written, its like the main character, Cassie is speaking to you, as well as the psychiatrist. I thought I guessed the ending part way through, but I was very wrong!!

Very interesting style, and will be interested to read more by Renata.
on 8 October 2012
This is the first story I have read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mean is a novelette which is packed with story. The story is set around a lady who seeks therapy because she feels she has a mean streak inside her. She seeks therapy not for help but to make her decision on whether to act on dark thoughts she has been experiencing.

The story unfolds in a Psychiatrists Therapy Room, it is set around numerous therapy sessions where the patient tells her whole life story and has to make a decision which the Doctor will have a huge impact on the final decision made.

I do not want to spoil the story so I will not divulge anymore. This story is a dark psychological thriller with plenty of twists and turns, I read the story in one sitting because it had me captivated from the beginning to the end.

I can not wait to read more of the author's work, I have rated this 4 stars but if the option was available I would rate a strong 4.5 stars.

Becky Sherriff
(The Kindle Book Review)
on 18 September 2012
A dark psychological novelette about young Cassie who pays for sessions with a psychiatrist in order to decide whether to stop herself from killing the person she blames for the horrors of her life, or let the meanness inside of her win.

Each chapter is one of the nine therapy sessions, and we only ever hear narration from Cassie, no one else, which I have to say worked surprisingly well. I felt very drawn to Cassie and it was as though I was eavesdropping on her sessions. More of Cassie's anger pours out as she explains what she endured during her life, and the reader is left eagerly turning the pages for the big reveal of the identity of the person she so urges to kill. I had many thoughts about who this could be, but was never certain, so the twist at the end was a good surprise.

The style coupled with the length of this worked well. It is a dark, intriguing read that hooks you very quickly, and is well constructed.
on 2 May 2013
I'm ashamed to say I don't usually leave reviews for most things on Amazon, but I had to leave a review for this short story. It's thrilling, dramatic, it messes with you psychologically, and you CERTAINLY don't expect the twist at the end. A fantastic ebook from an author that really should have far more recognition. The plot, storyline and development of ideas are all absolutely astounding. If I could give more stars for feedback I would. I couldn't put it down, read it in the one sitting, it was 5am and I had to be up at 7:30am and I couldn't put it down! Fantastic. I loved it.
on 8 December 2012
This is a disturbing story of resentment gone wrong. I will not say anymore as I would spoil the story, apart from the fact that it touches on many subjects which will make you think - and I mean really think! A very good piece of work!