4.0 out of 5 stars Good Form
So at last we have some back story on one of the most famous pirates known to man. Does this kind of book come under Fan Fiction?

I was drawn by the idea behind this book, but to be honest wasn't expecting a great deal. I was pleasantly surprised however when I started reading it.

Told as an autobiographical account of his childhood worked well for...
Published 22 months ago by simon211175

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea but ...
Have you read Peter Pan and wondered where the pirates came from, who exactly is Jas Hook and how the clock got into the crocodile?
Published 14 months ago by Stan

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea but ..., 12 Jun 2013
Stan (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain James Hook and the Curse of Peter Pan (Kindle Edition)
Its all here. This is James Hook's early life, how he first met Peter Pan, went to sea, became a pirate and started the feud with Pan. The idea is good and plausibly told; Treasure Island meets Robinson Crusoe with a dash of Blackbeard and even a love interest.
Not a fairy tale, plenty of blood and gore and dead bodies, this should be a winner. It doesn't quite work for me, maybe because of the big jumps in the story and some rather leaden descriptions, but it's a good light read and does answer those questions.
Now I wonder what Tiger Lily's story is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 13 Dec 2012
As a self confessed fan of all versions of Peter Pan, my imagination was 'Hooked' to the idea of understanding more about a hero. However reading the book did not capture my imagination enough to let me live the story in my head and I was therefore a little disappointed by it. It felt too grown up to be part of the joy of Peter Pan. However, once I had decided to read the book as nothing to do with......I enjoyed it a little more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Form, 12 Oct 2012
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Told as an autobiographical account of his childhood worked well for me. I could imagine it being told using his voice (okay in my defence here I was using Dustin Hoffman's voice from Hook [DVD]) and for me it helped make the story a real winner.

Peter Pan is always portrayed as a really good kid who always tries to escape the clutches of Captain Hook, but here we see why Captain Hook is so against Pan, and by the end, it's really hard not to like Hook.

Before I started this book, I was already mentally preparing myself for something I hated. Already comparing what it could be like to the excellent The Child Thief by Brom. I was only a couple of pages in when I realised this was going to be just as great as it is different.

I'm a fan of Peter Pan, despite my age - who wouldn't want to stay a kid forever? This book is well written, with characters we already know and love/hate. I would easily recommend this book, and I hope the author isn't planning on hanging up his pen.