4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, poor supplied software
I bought a used version as I already have a working dual tuner satellite card running under WMC Win 7 64bit. It was an experiment to see HD Freeview on the same PC.

Published 17 months ago by Fingers

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs strong signal for HD
Published 19 months ago by donvi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, poor supplied software, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: August DVB-T210 - HD Freeview USB TV Tuner - External DVB-T2 Digital Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - WINTV Dongle for High Definition PCTV - Desktop and Laptop Compatible Stick for Windows 7 / Vista / XP

The supplied ArcSoft software is a few generations behind today's latest ArcSoft software. It also gave other facilities that I had no need for e.g. Pictures and Music handling. Sadly the TV facilities were not really usable. The software did not find all the available stations (129), finding only 77. There seemed to be no way of manually finding the missing ones! The signal coming to the tuner is from a high powered roof top aerial and distribution system which feeds other TVs and rooms. This was NOT due to a weak signal! Another annoying bug was that the EPG was flooded with Chinese characters making reading or scheduling impossible. Despite deep Google searches of August web-site and ArcSoft, there was no solution out there. So I abandoned the in-the-box software.

I tried a trial of DVB Viewer Pro software which immediately found all the 129 stations (TV,data and radio) available in my area. The EPG was fully populated for 8 days and scheduling was a dream. I bought the full version for £13 and can now use the August tuner for everything I need. The picture quality etc is excellent, as one would expect from a HD tuner.

The August hardware works well and deserves 5 stars but giving the poor ArcSoft TotalMedia software with it is a poor move.So overall I award 4 stars. The hardware would work well with WMC, as others have said. But I have reserved WMC for my satellite tuners. DVB Viewer Pro shows that this diminutive tuner can work well and the tuner's low price represents a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does was it says it does, 30 July 2012
I'd been trying to upgrade my TV Stick to a HD model for a while now, its not easy as although many of these tuner cards claim to offer HD, almost all are being miss-sold and only work in Europe.

This one however, works. Its easy to set up, uses a standard aerial connection (so connecting to the rooftop aerial is simple) and gets good reception. All I'd say is invest in an amplified aerial or hook it up to your rooftop aerial for the best experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but the best in its class, 15 Jan 2013
Having tried several other USB tuners including a DVB-T and a DVB-T2 type, this one is the best of the bunch.

It produces a very nice picture as long as you have a good quality antenna connected to it that pulls in a nice strong signal.
Picture quality is quite nice on SD and very crisp on HD but you do need to make sure you set up Hardware Acceleration in the Settings - General - Display settings menu otherwise you may get some banding and Macro Blocking issues which you may think are due to the incoming signal but may not be! This was certainly the issue in my case.

The only flaw really in the product is slight unreliability in the software. The EPG for example has a tendency to substitute English for odd Asian hieroglyphics in some channel entries which is a bit annoying if you use the EPG a lot. Also I found under Windows 8 that sometimes it crashed when channel hopping to an encrypted one. Also if you are on the highest channel in the list (102 in my case) and press the remote CH up button or you are on the lowest (1) and press the remote CH down button, again the software locks up. These may be Windows 8 related however.

Issues aside though it works rather well and I am pleased with its performance and it records HD too which is a real plus!. I cannot give it 5 stars with the software issues that it has but it deserves at least 4.5 and I would give it that many if Amazon allowed me too.

A good bit of kit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed, 8 Nov 2012
After upgrading my office to consolidate my old tower PC and Laptop to a single Laptop and large LED monitor I was left without a Freeview HD tuner, this was a shame as sometimes whilst I work it is good to watch a TV program or have the radio playing. This little device works a treat! I would suggest that it is best to connect it to a decent external aerial from your house rather than the small aerial supplied but other than that it is great.

The playback is 5 stars, the reason that I am giving it 4 stars is that the supplied software is not that brilliant, yes it is functional but it seems to scramble all the channels into a random order and does not get the channel numbers right also many channel names seemed to be in Chinese. I use mine with windows media center which in my opinion is much better. I re-iterate though, for the quality of picture, playback and reliability on a roof top aerial this is a 5 star product which I would recommend to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Win, now works with Linux as well, 15 Aug 2013
I got the item to be able to add RTE and TG4 programs. I bought the item 2nd hand. Since the DVB-T2 card works well I can use HD once I get a computer with >= 2 Ghz clock speed, until then I can just record at non-HD resolutions.

Findings so far:
1. My previous (non-HD) stick worked fine with Win and Linux and was recognized instantly. Could be used in Linux without any configuration. This August DVB-T2 210 required installing from the 64 bit folder (normal setup does not work). The seller had links to the suitable software (drivers for win, Totalmedia 3). The totalmedia3 software works well.
2. This stick can switch much quicker between channels than my previous one. Picture quality is clear and sharp and recordings look well. I have hooked it up to our roof-mounted aerial and not even tried the small aerial it came with. Scanning for channels took a while, but it found all of them, no problem.
3. Under linux (Ubuntu 13.04) the syslog shows that the device is recognized and supported by the kernel. Currently Me-TV and VLC can not use the stick because the OS does not make /etc/dbv nor /dev/dvb/. That may need some time :-( It looks unlikely that HD willbe possible, but I may get it to work.

Overall: A bit disappointed that it does not "just work" in linux (cannot get it to work yet) and Windows. In Win 7 and Win 8 64 bit the stick works without problems after a setup that was a bit fiddly. When it works the reception is good and hassle free. The software works fine.

-------------------------------------

change dd July 2014. With regards to linux

Started kaffeine under kernel 3.14-1-amd64 and the card has started working. It is recognized as a DVB-T card so HD is not possible yet. It is recognized as a SONY CXD2820R. I have not compiled/patched anything just a standard Debian Install. Me-TV and Kaffeine do allow playing TV now.

It is evident to me that support is improving over time, which is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Simple!, 16 Oct 2013
PCC.UK (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had been looking for a Freeview HD tuner for a while and put off purchasing this item because I had never heard of the brand. I noticed the price had been reduced so I thought I would give it a go and glad I did. When I first got it going, within 5 minutes I was amazed at the HD quality. In the evening I noticed what I thought to be the signal breaking up so realigned my loft aerial to no joy then I noticed that the issue was only happening on one of my dual screens using HDMI so I used the VGA output instead and has been excellent.

I have not tested the product with it's external aerial. The only negative thing I could say was the USB extension cable could of been longer but other than that excellent!

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre (x64)
Computer: HP EliteBook Revolve using Port Replicator and Docking Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 compatible - just., 15 Mar 2013
To set up on windows 8 do not use the autorun function - it does not work.
Open the CD/disk and select both the drivers and programme folders separately and use the ''setup.exe'' functions to install.
Then it works fine - at least on my version of Windows 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars windows 8 media centre, 8 Feb 2013
I am using Windows 8 and there Media Centre, I Was looking for a USB HD TV Tuner, Read other reviews more + than -, so went for it. Before I took delivery i went on the August website "[...]" and downloaded the latest driver. no issues with delivery and packaging. Comes with driver and software disc, ariel, IR remote and a USB extension lead. As I already installed the driver from the website, I connected everything up to an external roof antenna, opened media centre, detected it no problem used the wizard and done. works great for me

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised by how well it works, 23 Nov 2013
Frankly I had pretty low expectations of this little pen drive sized plug in with an arial the size of a ball point pen!

In fact I am very impressed. It's a great little device and even with the supplied arial it gives an excellent picture on a 21 inch monitor. I was pleased to find that it can also record TV. It recognised 44 TV channels but not some that I was expecting. Perhaps an external arial would help. It includes most of the channels which it's no longer possible to view on TVCatchup.

Installation was straightforward but with just a few minor issues to mention:

1) The minidisc with the software won't fit some PC slots. However the drivers are easily downloaded from the web site. You will need the long licence code from the disc sleeve.

2) On first installation there was a warning that a program file was missing. This is apparently a known glitch with ArcSoft and is fixed either by reinstalling it or by going into into control panel and selecting change/repair (which does the same thing).

3) You won't notice it unless you have a scanner running, but it may change the file associations for some script files, e.g. .vbs and .vbe files. I checked Microsoft knowledge base and there doesn't seem to be a problem with the change.

4) If used with any other USB devices I think it would benefit from a powered USB hub. I even had to unplug a couple of USB storage sticks before it would run happily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs strong signal for HD, 19 April 2013
I live 15 miles from a transmitter, have a high gain aerial with an aerial amplifier and distributer in my loft. On standard Freeview I get maximum signal strength and excellent reception. On Freeview HD the apparent signal strength falls and the TV picture and sound break up. So, however good your standard Freeview reception is check it for HD reception before purchasing this otherwise excellent product.