4.0 out of 5 stars Bite size Covey
Published 6 months ago by Stephen Green

1.0 out of 5 stars "How", Stephen? More like, "Why."
Published 1 month ago by Miss L. L. Pugh

4.0 out of 5 stars Bite size Covey, 21 Aug. 2014
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is probably quite a good entry point to the author's work. I have read 7 habits and I suspect that a lot of people know they ought to read it but it is hard going. Stephen Covey set high standards and was a giant in his field but it was a book perhaps better suited to captains of industry and people already achieving excellence who just wanted to "sharpen that saw" and be just that bit better. I believe though that a mission statement for an individual is useful inner work for anybody who wants to focus their attention on creating something worthwhile. A lot of people create bucket lists but writing this statement is likely to lead to important self discovery. Wherever you are heading, taking the right road is always recommended. Covey wrote with such power and eloquence that his 7 habits actually do seem like Laws that must be obeyed. The mission statement follows the route of the second habit which is beginning with the end in mind. I am making use of the mission statement to refine my own "2020 vision" so that I can describe where I want to get to and what 2020 will be like. I can then put in the steps to make it happen. In the same way, I may also create a 2015 mission statement. By describing the future I get to try it out in my imagination and question whether it is the best direction for me.
A couple of the chapters are written by members of his organisation and feel like a natural part of the book. It is a nice thoughtful touch that he recognised his team in that way. The mission statement is there "to live, to love, to learn and to leave a legacy" and there is no doubt he achieved his own mission. The book ranges from lofty terms such as "highest and best use" to wise stories to demonstrate reflection on our values and emotions. it is challenging as one of the contributors points out how uncomfortable we are inclined to be when comparing ideal to actual. The book does not urge you to come up with a perfect mission statement, never to be challenged or changed. it invites you to dive in and get some words down and get perfect later. If you keep a journal it is worth recording your statement. Such things are fascinating to read a decade later for example even if you don't go on to make it something you regularly refer to. If instead of getting, your mission statement is about "giving, contributing, adding more" then I especially wish you every success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Nov. 2013
This little book has been an excellent encouragement pointing towards the release of one's full potential through focused action steps. In reading this very helpful little book there is something that stirs deep within my heart that says yes, yes, yes! I can take control of my life and begin living life to the fullest. Well worth reading this.

1.0 out of 5 stars "How", Stephen? More like, "Why.", 27 Jan. 2015
I'd like to begin by saying that I am not the kind of person who typically calls books about effective life tools a load of rubbish. In fact, I ignore such reviews ordinarily. I am not a sceptic and very much enjoy checking out the ideas that are out there. So when I one-star this book please believe me when I say that I went into it with a completely open mind, went through it with genuine interest and was perfectly ready, excited even, to write my own mission statement with Covey's instruction. THEN I gave it one star.

Why? Because, for all my enthusiasm, I never reached a point where Stephen actually told me HOW to write the statement (which, given the title, is something of a failure). Instead it gives longwinded anecdotes and waxes endlessly about how important and lifechanging a personal mission statement can be, even stating that mission statements which don't work have failed because they aren't written properly. But give an example of how to do it correctly? Explain things properly, rather than in empty, wishy washy language that doesn't actually mean anything? Forget it. This book's beginning, middle and conclusion was, "You should have a mission statement because they are good. Also, they should reflect your values." I left none the wiser. In fact, I learned more about his Highly Effective Habits theory, given that all of these habits were actually listed at the back of the book.

Also, it was ridiculously short, yet perplexingly padded out. I got to the end and was confused - surely that wasn't it? Had I only acquired a sample? Had I skipped chapters on my Kindle accidentally? I checked. Twice. Nope. Between this and the Highly Effective Habits, as well as the long list of other books written by the author at the back, I have concluded this is nothing but a longwinded advertisement amd money-making scam.

Want my advice? Don't buy this book, but do write a personal mission statement. Don't know how? Don't worry: neither do I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Great, 20 Sept. 2014
Read it as an addition to The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Am applying for an important job where a personal mission statement is part of the process. But no matter if I get the job or not, I now know my true purpose and am sure no matter where life will take me, everything will be great as the creation of my statement has given me strength to change the world. Rock on! xx

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money., 2 Aug. 2014
David Hollingworth (Courtmacsherry, Co. Cork Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a copy almost word for word of How To Develop Your Family Mission Statement (which I bought first and wouldn't rate higher than 2 stars). If you've one of the two you certainly don't need the other one.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 28 July 2014
Picked this book through amazon suggestions. Glad I did, very thought provoking and will give it some considerations. Summer read for start of school

4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 19 Jan. 2015
Really liked reading this it really armed me with tools to write my mission statement. Thanks to all worked to make this work available to us

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
Clear and easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission Statement complete, 5 Jun. 2014
TheSagaContinues (Just around the corner) - See all my reviews
Provided the last push I needed to get on with and produce my mission statement. I sincerely believe that the mission statement aids me in my day to day life

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec. 2014