4.0 out of 5 stars good if a little contrived at times
Published on 7 April 2011 by bigflat

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read with some practical ideas for self-improvement
SUMO is a simple acronym which serves as a reminder to focus on moving forward towards actions which produce desired results and Paul McGee's book is an entertaining exposition of this practical principle. A useful reminder of the need to manage change in our own lives, it is not particularly original or earth-shattering, but an enjoyable read nevertheless.
Published 20 months ago by Middrob

4.0 out of 5 stars good if a little contrived at times, 7 April 2011
Reading this i instantly recognized aspects which had been amalgamated from other source such as 'how to win friends and influence people, the 7 habits of successful people, getting things done etc. Thus the ideas themselves were not particularly original. What is original is the way they are combined in a lucid/concise text, honed down to the key messages rather than being sprawled across hundreds of pages. Also the insights into the authors own life seem more genuine than in those other books which makes it marginally more absorbing.

At about 200 pages its a quick read and quite entertaining. I think you would be hard pressed not to derive some extra motivational energy or feel good factor from reading this book and I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Oct 2011
Did the schools version with work, and thought it was great, so bought the book. It's all about changing your mind set, stop feeling sorry for yourself, think positive and move on - if things aren't working the way you've always done them, then change things! I have read it myself, passed it on to my partner, and there is a que of friends and family waiting to read it! Would definitely recommend this, life-changing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Move on to Happiness, 23 Feb 2011
Great book full of practical ideas to help you get on with living your life and not wallowing in the past. A must for all those stagnant hippos (read the book to understand)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: S.U.M.O (Shut Up, Move On): The Straight Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, it's pitched at a level anyone could relate to. I often use the principles of this book when things go wrong for me. It always puts everything into perspective! Definitely a good read if you are a " glass half empty" person!!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUMO to success, 6 Nov 2012
This book is so good, I had to get one for a therapist friend of mine. The exercises and ideas are so helpful. I was reading this during a particularly difficult time in my life with lots of changes, the past rearing its head and not really being sure which way to turn, I have to say that this book really helped me let go of the past and move forward in a positive manner. So much so that I have been freed to make some major changes in my life. READ THIS BOOK.....great and easy to understand, the author has a sense of humour and also gives examples from his own life. Great reading for therapists looking for some alternative ideas to help their clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 7 questions on my shoulder, 1 Nov 2011
I now always carry the 7 questions. You see they help me when I am faced with a challenge - they just sit on my right shoulder. My friends are these 7 questions. Always giving me heplful advise just when I need them. Learn to SUMO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the spot, 7 Oct 2013
John Buckley (UK) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended by a colleague. An easy read with humour and practical ideas it offers food for thought. Stop Understand and Move On (the mantra used for the adaptation for schools) might be a more accurate message to each of the points... but this was helpful, practical and easily applicable. Interspersed with "personal stuff" made the understanding even easier.
Will come back to again and again I am sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to better understand yourself (and others)??? ...This could be for you!, 21 May 2012
stuart571 (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I saw Paul as a guest speaker at a business conference, and his straight forward, relevant, no-nonesense style had everyone in the palm of his hand. I bought this book shortly afterwards and whilst it's not for everyone, if you deal with people at work, have a family or a relationship, or if you have EVER over-reacted to an event, or felt sorry for yourself - IT PROBABLY IS FOR YOU !! ...It's fun, easy to read and explains in simple terms how and why different people can see things in totally different ways and understanding WHY will improve your understanding of family, friends or work colleagues. It may sometimes be straight talking and keeps things simple, but that's what I like about it... Often, understanding the basics, understanding them well and getting them right is absolutely 'key' - The author also shares his own personal experiences which is refreshing... SUMO - All in all, a good informative and thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my life, 24 Feb 2012
10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is what you make of it. This book summarises that message very well. Humorous throughout, this is the only self improvement book I have or will ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant self help book, 14 Sep 2013
This book helps with all aspects of life i.e. work, friendships, relationships and families. Stop being negative and start being positive. The authors examples and insights into his personal life bring the book to life and help you relate to how this could help you. I was so impressed I urged my husband to read it and I have brought a copy for my team to read. I have now brought how to succeed with people.