7,417 Reviews
 (4,708)
 (1,577)

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful romp of a novel
Allan is a hundred years old today, but he doesn't want to stay around for his party in the home in which he is resident, so he climbs out of the window and escapes.

This is the start of Allan's journey (into perhaps a fourth age?), and he becomes involved with a variety of characters - some criminal, and some merely suspect - and is also involved in a...
Published 23 months ago by F. M. M. Stott

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for a while then faded
There is a lot of hype about this book and the reviews on here are totally enthusiastic which kind of convinced me to give it a go. I certainly enjoyed parts of the book - more particularly the earlier sections. There are some amusing and clever twists to the tale - but they become increasingly far-fetched and somewhat repetitive. It reminded me somewhat of William...
Published 22 months ago by Self-help junkie

‹ Previous | 1693 694 695742 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and memorable!, 1 Mar 2013
Mrs. J. A. Goodchild (Suffolk,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book, totally different from my usual reading choice, based on the good reviews and bargain price on Kindle. I was not disappointed and couldn't wait to follow the adventures of the unlikely hero and his accomplices. It is fantastical, with laugh out loud moments and a definite feel good factor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant title, shame about the book., 28 Feb 2013
As soon as I read the title, I wanted to read this book. Unfortunately, I'd already read the best bit. By the end of the third chapter, I began to suspect that I'd made a terrible mistake. By the halfway mark, I knew that I had.

Such a shame. The premise - a man escapes from his residential home on his hundredth birthday, for an adventure against the backdrop of the story of his life - is a good one. It could either have been a relatively serious examination of the 20th century, or a humorous romp. Jonasson clearly aimed for the latter. And missed. Maybe it's an error of translation but this never raised more than a weak smile from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars 100 yr old man ........., 28 Feb 2013
Very clever, witty and funny. An easy read, not my normal style but an enjoyable light hearted book.
Give it a shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious? Don't think so!, 27 Feb 2013
Just couldn't be bothered with this after p.234 and lots of skim-reading before that. First I got fed up with the flashback plot and then the 2005 scenario joined it. The funniest thing about the book is the set of Reading Group Discussion Questions at the end: "Who do you feel most sorry for (sic and sick)?" That would be me for buying it - just hope it was the half-price one. A waste of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars 100 year old man, 25 Feb 2013
this lacked depth, characters unbelievable, i certainly didn't find it amusing or even interesting.
It was like an amateur history lesson of the 20th century.
I wouldn't have read this if it wasn't for the fact that it was part of a book club list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird, 23 Feb 2013
I just did not get this book. I made it to the end and it was a 'nice' story. I found the intended humour silly and the whole thing just weird. Saying that I did finish it but cant say I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Swedish Forest Gump, 20 Feb 2013
This book is a triumph. The style of this is so easy to read and gives a lot of pleasure. The author has managed to convey the innocence and at the same time the wisdom of a character who has lived for many years in a marvellous novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very strange book, 20 Feb 2013
Mrs. J. Dunne "Morsefan" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
Found this book difficult to read. Perhaps you have to be Swedish to fully appreciate it. Had to read to the end to find out what happened but skipped quite a few bits in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Kindle experience. What a truly splendid arrival..., 16 Feb 2013
This really is an amazing book. I began reading it hesitantly, it not being the type of yarn I would normally look for, and I being a novice e-reader.

I am so glad that both the cover and the intriguing title caught my eye. During Allan's first steps, I wasn't convinced it was the right story with which to launch my digital reading career, but I am now extremely relieved and, to be totally honest, downright glad that I chose it to my first.

I strongly urge anybody reading this review to follow Allan's steps as he recounts the adventures of his extraordinary life. It is a wonderful story, told with humour, warmth, and at a wonderfully measured pace.

Mr Jonasson, thank you for amazingly eloquent imagination.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing reading, 12 Feb 2013
I thought this was going to be a really good book when I started it. However, the continual reverting back to the past made it very disjointed reading. Could not get on with this so never finished the book

‹ Previous | 1693 694 695742 | Next ›