on 31 October 2013
Not the kind of book I would pick up normally, but the combo of recommendation from a (book-wise reliable) friend, a low promotional Kindle price and the Harlan Ellison-like title made me pick this up and I am glad I did. The only book I can compare it to is Forrest Gump, but the protagonist Allan is a more sympathetic character than Forrest.
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson Published by Hesperus Press (2012) is a wonderful book: charming, life affirming, funny (even very funny in parts) and odd in a nice way. I'm very glad I read this and happily recommend it.
on 14 January 2013
Well, I thought I'd add a review to the hundreds already out there...

I bought this book as a 20p promotion following previous reviews and just out of curiosity. I am a bit of a fan of the current trend of Scandanavian thrillers, but what surprised me was how easy to follow the various story strands were. I suspect that this will be dramatised into a film at some point in the future.

The plot has been described by previous reviewers as a bit like Forrest Gump, and it is a little surprising how Allan manages to be close to some major geo-political events.

I would recommend the book highly, if only for a different kind of story.
on 5 January 2013
After reading the Book Thief, I never thought I'd read a book which had the same thought-provoking, spine-tingling effect on me but this book has done so. For such an educational book to be twisted around fiction like Jonasson manages is rare and refreshing. Allan, the main character, is instantly likeable, a gentle man with a ruthlessly interesting past. And the people he meets, from Stalin to the Chief Inspector of his hometown are just as intriguing. Jonasson engrains quirks in these character to such an extent, you feel like they're real and living just a stone's throw away. A masterfully written and sculpted piece of literary beauty, this is a must-read.
on 23 March 2013
I loved this book - it transformed a snowy weekend into an escape through a hundred years of history. Great and mad characters, twists and turns on every page and a plot that flowed for a hundred years.
on 9 January 2013
This was a brilliant book, a sort of Eat Pray Love for men. A captivating and truly unlikely tale about a man who keeps living despite a highly unlikely series of events, including associations with world leaders, criminal organisations and a multi skilled thirty years at undergraduate hot dog sales man. He bumbles through life, switching between mass political movements with the aim of getting a strong swish of drink and somehow gets credited with inventing the atom bomb and giving it both to the USA and Stalin.

It's so brilliantly strung together it is both so impossible it almost feels like someone could not make it up. Jonas Johnson; Genius!
on 13 May 2014
A masterpiece of storytelling. I couldn't put it down. The intricate characters are woven with such skill that you think you actually know them! The humour and pace are outstanding. Highly recommended.
on 14 January 2014
It was very amusing if a little far fetched. Wouldn't a gent of that age experience a lot more problems? But I liked the fact that it was a feel good read and about someone who had reached 100 years!
on 29 July 2013
Reading this whilst in the Canary Islands and being entertained by tribute The Three Tenors provided me with a feeling of right book right time. Many twists and turns with a happily ever after ending.
on 28 May 2013
You have to persevere with this book at page 186 (to be precise) I was struggling. However, it is very funny and the historical anecdotes pick up pace and make sense of the story. It is a great read.
on 15 April 2014
The story was okay. I didn't like the fact that it just told me everything all the time and didn't give me any mystery. Also the fact that it just didn't go into the moment and there was never the sense of an real danger at all. I got used to the style after the third chapter but it did just feel like a factual fake history telling. I never got invested in any of the characters and could barely tell most of their personalities apart. If this is what it constitutes as a good book these days than I'm at a loss. When I finished reading it it left me with nothing and I don't think it's a book I'll read again. The only reason I did was for a book club. The End