Format: Blu-ray|Change

I am watching this on the evening of the day the world discovered we had lost this great man. I have seen the Arena programme on BBC4 (and I think BBC2 previously) a number of times but it never gets old. Furthermore, I had to purchase this disc for the 52 minutes of additional footage. It is hard to do justice to such a distinguished gentleman and a distinguished career in one documentary but this certainly is a valiant effort. As a Beatles fan, I discovered Sir George Martin at a very early age, and it is all too easy to lose yourself in all the body of work he did with them and forget about everything else he did. I was so pleased to see such a balanced overview of what is an unbelievable series of achievements and a career which he evidently genuinely loved and which brings joy to so many people to this day and for the foreseeable future. A great tribute to a great man who will be sadly missed.
on 2 November 2013
I saw this on tv & couldn't wait for to come out on DVD. George worked with so many artists as well as the Fabs.
The Goons, Shirley Bassey , Rolf Harris, Jeff Beck ,the list goes on. There are also some extended interviews on the
Extras which are well put together . A good look at his life & his work ,what's not to like.
If you do like this Sir George has written a couple of good books, if you want to delve a bit deeper. ( which I did )
Highly recomended.
on 21 July 2013
I had seen this a few years ago as one of the BBC Arena programmes and enjoyed it. I had to buy it because this has an extended 52 minutes to it, and reveals a great deal more about George Martin and his early life. This DVD does the man justice by not just covering the Beatles period, but all the other acts he produced. A thoroughly well made documentary. I could not fault it, and I have no hesitation in giving it 5 stars. Recommended!
on 19 January 2014
George Martin has a very special place in the British music industry as the man who discovered the Beatles, but he also produced many other artiste's on the Parlophone label of EMI. This dvd tells of his start in the recording industry and how he came to be in charge of Parlophone. There are many interesting interviews and for lovers of the music and recording industry this dvd is a must.
on 18 January 2013
A great production, a talented interesting man - highly recommended. This is the documentary that George Martin deserves. Buy it.
on 30 January 2013
I bought the DVD after seeing this fantastic documentary on TV..........if you're a big fan of George Martin this is a must.
on 28 February 2014
For all the lives that have been touched, changed or affected by this producer and his work, he should have been appreciated a lot more I reckon. That the music industry changed the way it did for the better, has a lot to be thankful for thanks to George Martin. I rate this highly and well worth having in my collection of Beatles stuff.
on 17 April 2016
Having enjoyed watching this on TV recently I decided that I wanted to have a quality reminder of Sir George Martin's talents as a producer. Of course, and rightly, he is perhaps best known for his work with a certain Liverpool band but when you get into researching the vast body of work Sir George was responsible for you can be left in no doubt the extent to which he had a huge impact on music. Thank you Sir George for all that brilliant guidance you gave each and every artist you worked with. Our ears have been enriched countless times by, not only the artists themselves, but your talents for bringing the best out of those artists.
on 23 March 2015
Superb documentary, highly recommended... you will find out so much more than George Martin's producer roles with The Beatles. The story of a fascinating life.
on 27 April 2014
George is one of the persons who had most influence on English culture during the last 40 years and the DVD shows it
Swempa L Sweden