Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£4.57+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

An asteroid named "Matilda" is on a collision course towards Earth and in three weeks the world will come to an absolute end.

One man decides to spend his time searching for his long lost love from high school during the coming catastrophe...

The first thing one would imagine with an end of the world movie with Steve Carrell starring would be 'hilarious'.

Think again. Many say that this was a huge flop, look at the budget.

It's a kooky movie, just like Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist, and the reason the film works is the subject matter and the realism of the two main characters.

Sure they both have traits, but be honest, would you really act 'normal' if the apocalypse was around the corner? The film is split into several chapters, starting off melancholic, then to panic, realisation, kooky and then back to realisation.

The groups or people we bump into depict the chapters. When we meet Cordroys group, this is the panic moment of the movie, and when we reach the diner, it's kooky.

It never really tears away from the kookiness throughout the film, and this benefits the grim subject matter.

Knightley and Carrell are great as the two leads, and the supporting cast are just as good.

The film really come into its own though when we meet Sheen and he acts everyone off the screen. The ten minutes he is in the film is the best part and it really hits the nail on the head of the whole films message.

Lifes too short.

A lovely movie, with a very sobering, but happy ending.
on 27 March 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect when I began watching this film recently. Steve Carrel from the American Office and Date Night etc starring so I figured a comedic element of sorts and the very versatile and so demure Miss Knightley together with a splash of the ever excellent Martin Sheen and William Petersen albeit very briefly combine to make one of the best and hugely enjoyable bitter-sweet, black-comedy, tear-jerkers of all time. I honestly haven't had that "lump in my throat" sensation since Ghost (1990) and as other commenters have posted that this film cleverly steers away for the most part from the science and technical aspect of an end-of-the-world, asteroid-on-a-collision-path-with-earth scenario we feel we are amongst real people who we could all know and like who are themselves absolutely helpless in their potential doom and facing an impossible situation with no escape and the decisions good or bad for their final days on earth which they make we can only draw smiles and tears from. The fantastic soundtrack in this film really completes the package. If you don't watch another film in 2013 please see this one! 10/10
on 16 October 2012
I originally thought that this was a comedy. There are one or two scenes which contain black comedy, but it's more about human feelings and the way we deal with other people in times of crisis.

The plot is that life as we known it is coming to an end. There is no escape, we are all going to die. How would you deal with it?

I won't spoil what is a brillant peice of cinema and by the end you truly relate to the characters as doom approaches.

Wonderful film. Highly recommended.
a 70 mile wide astroid is hurtling toward earth,attempts to alter it's
course has failed......just a few short weeks remain.
'dodge' and 'penny' who had only known each other a short time escape a
riot.
the two set out on a road trip to fulfil a need to be with someone important
to them as time runs out.
the mission for 'dodge' to meet up again with the love he'd lost when still
a young man.
'penny's' quest, to reunite with her parents and share her last moments with
them.
maybe the unlikely couple have allready found all they really need.
there are many moments that will allmost certainly bring a smile to your face.
there are also some poignant as time runs out.
(it's fair to say we survived many prophets of doom that read disaster into
the end of the 'mayan' calender,thankfully the day has past, and most of us
are still here )
an apocalyptic movie worthy of viewing
on 18 February 2013
You have got to admit it, a Romantic Comedy set during a time of an imminent apocalypse is an interesting concept and perhaps one of the best mediums to explore the human condition. What we have in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is a wonderfully sweet story about two people that are brought together by the circumstances of the end of days.

For such a bleak subject matter the film feels surprisingly light hearted and almost optimistic. Keira Knightly plays no small part in this with her sunny English charm and keep calm and carry on attitude. Steve Carrel plays his part as the straight man as well as ever. I think Carrel is one of the best straight men when he wants to be, second only to Jason Bateman.

The script is superb taking very little time with the set up of an asteroid hitting earth and getting straight on with some surprisingly dark comedy, but even when bodies are flying past the windows as people jump to their deaths rather than face their impending doom, the tone of the film is still kept pretty light. The script explores Carrels' characters quiet insecurities and humble misery with such a light breezy touch it all seems extremely endearing.

The cinematography is also light and sunny and breezy it seems very much like the town in The Truman Show, or Pleasantville after the residents become colourful. This really does act to give you a sense of optimism, a sense that the annihilation that the characters face isn't really that real, that something will happen at the last minute to save every ones lives. Whether that does happen or not is not for me to say as I do try and keep these reviews as spoiler free as possible.

What is interesting to me is that all other disaster movies (not that this is a disaster movie, it is just a movie with an impending disaster) spend all of their time trying to portray to the viewer how utterly hopeless the situation is, where as this film doesn't even bother, the focus is all on life and how wonderful it is, if you just let it be.

This is one of those humble films that don't really go anywhere at all, but you don't really care because you are just happy to be along for the ride. The characters make this film and it is just so utterly sweet that it doesn't even occur to you that you have just wasted one hundred minutes of your life by watching it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 January 2013
Theres this asteroid which is going to flatten the earth in 3 weeks . What do you do ? Find God , find a local orgy where everyone has shifted focus from "Here to eternity " to "here to maternity " , find a TV shop to rob or find Olivia ? Dodge has been struck by his own personal asteroid ..his wife heard about the coming Doomsday and ran off . While everyone else is running off after something Dodge is left stunned in an emotional shock which stuns him . He was happy with his wife .She split the scene . His life is business as usual . He does have his job,shellshock and a harmonica his father gave him . But he meets Penny , a neighbour , who gives him letters that belong to him mis-directed by the mailman over a 3 year period . Some are from Olivia , the love of his life before he married . Now he has her address and proof that she still loves him . He sets off on another collision course ...Olivia ! And Penny will help him find her if he can help her get home to her parents . So begins the journey . Before this point in the film it felt like this was going to be a boring disaster comedy .As they journey they have encounters and meetings and begin to ooze out from an enviroment of uncertainty into a stable friendship where Penny is charming and warm and Dodge beginning to be soothed out of his emotional inertia . There are subtle ways that the film stops being a comedy but has a replacing romance flavour .Keira Knightley plays at this point one who opens up and pours out delightful expressions and stories to Dodge . His response is not mutual , hes receiving only and giving nothing away
Thi news relationship will end when he meets Olivia and when he helps her fly in a little plane to her parents . Or will it ? At any rate whatever twists in the story lie ahead for them ...mmmm.....errr... about the asteroid ? Is it happy ever after..can a film director twist the asteroid away . Maybe aliens will save them or God or maybe it was just a dream Dodge was having ....So buy it and find out . certainly a film I really enjoyed and recommend
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Apart from vampires and zombies, Hollywood seems to love end-of-the-world scenarion and "Seeking a Friend of the End of the World" which takes the controversial route of categorically stating at the beginning of the film that the world is DEFINITELY going to end. There is no hope for humanity and no last-minute Bruce Willis coming in to save us. It will end. Therefore the film concentrates on asking what you would do if you had only a few weeks to live.

The movie begins with Dodge (Steve Carell) sitting in his car and hearing that the mission to save mankind has failed and in approximately three weeks the 70 mile wide asteroid is going to hit Earth. Upon this news Dodge's wife leaves him and Dodge considers what he is going to do with his final days of his life and the past regrets he has. He soon meets Penny (Keira Knightley) and they decide to embark on adventure that hopefully lead Dodge to find a girl from his past and for Penny to see her family before the their time runs out.

The writers did a great job with mixing comedy in a movie that has a depressing feel to it. There were good jokes throughout the movie, mostly sarcasm but well planned. The pace of this movie was slow, but it necessarily isn't a bad thing. There were really good dialogue scenes where Dodge and Penny have conversations about themselves and their pasts and it really make the audience care about these characters. That being said, the characters were developed well and Steve Carell and Keira Knightley's performances were great as well as their chemistry.

It's good to see Steve Carell in these types of these dramatic movies mixed with light comedy like Dan in Real Life and Little Miss Sunshine. This movie isn't a film that will dominate the box offices but it is one of the better movies of 2012 and it's certainly something that you should watch if you're into a film that's a little more deep, rather than just a straight-out comedy.
on 28 July 2014
Was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this film. Steve Carell and Keira Knightley seem a very unlikely pairing but it works. Carell's portrait of Dodge's shift from melancholia to the purest joy is understated and believable. Knightley is clearly comfortable in her role as Penny and she sparkles all the way through the film.

Other films which have dealt with this particular type of apocalyptic event always seem to focus on the scientists and the military actions, or on the individual who made the discovery. I like how this film id so different, it's not the Hollywood "let's save the planet from annihilation" pony... we don't see actors bouncing around pretending to be on asteroids or space ships. Those characters have already been killed off in the first scene. This film is all about the people on the ground, the people who are watching, the people who are waiting.

But then I'm the kind of person who got to the end of watching "Independence Day" and thought "Now who's going to clean all those crashed space ships up..?"
on 23 June 2013
Before I watched this movie, I never saw Steve Carrel in a serious role. Dan in real life was the closest thing I'd seen to a serious movie from him. Alas this movie made me feel in so many different ways; I.E. from the heart-lifting dark comedy, to the most emotional of endings. I have not cried at a film in so long, (Turner & Hooch). I really have nothing bad to say about this movie, It made me laugh when I was supposed to laugh, feel what I was supposed to feel and cry when I was supposed to cry. Not to mention the amazing acting in this film..... WOW, I will never see Steve Carrel in the same way, and I wasn't a huge Keira Knightly fan, but this movie turned me around completely on her, she was incredible. My final thought -

Everyone and anyone needs to at least watch this once! Thank you - Joseph Paton.
on 19 July 2012
This film is a comedy/drama about the road trip taken by an insurance agent and his much younger neighbour to reunite him with his first love before the world ends (the Armageddon/Deep Impact heroics haven't succeeded and that asteroid is going to hit us). He takes the dog that had recently been dumped on him, and she takes her favourite l.p's and off they go, getting into scrapes and adventures on the way. The l.p's are a very important part of the story as they provide the soundtrack to their journey, to be honest they made the film. The scene where Herb Alpert's This Guys In Love With You plays in the background brought as lump to my throat.
It has some great funny moments as well, the dinner party scene especially is hilarious.
I must admit I've never been a huge fan of either Steve Carrell or Keira Knightley but both are excellent in this enchanting story.
When we first saw the trailer we thought this would be worth a watch, it was a great feeling to come out of the cinema totally surprised by how much we loved it.