Format: DVD|Change

on 22 February 2015
As I said in the title to this review, either prepare to be disappointed or pleasantly surprised and entertained. The end of the story is known from the beginning: there's no way out. Nope, no Space Cowboys or super-heroes to save earth's bacon. The film gently reminds us that whatever we are living for, we are at the same time dying for. We might not all die on the same day, as in the film, but we are all going to die. The point is: are we living? Now sit back and enjoy the film.
on 25 October 2015
I saw this film not expecting much but I was very, very moved by it. I thought about many of the scenes for days afterwards. The Hollies song The Air That I Breath seemed made for ths film and this film made for that song, I loved it.
Plot summary: the end of the world really is nigh. Nice Steve Carrell’s wife runs off, and he sets out to find his high school sweetheart with the help of a stranger (Keira Knightley) from his apartment building.

This road trip movie rolls gently along on the charm and chemistry of the two stars. Carrell in particular is excellent in a calm, sensitive role that could easily have been mugged to death by an over-manic performance, say a fairly typical Jim Carrey outing. That then leads on to perhaps comparing Keira Knightley’s nicely kooky role to the abysmal off-beat playing of Kate Winslet in the awful “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” which also tries to explore relationships but fails dismally.

There’s nothing in this that isn’t at least a little bit familiar, but it is all nicely done if you just want to sit quietly and watch. Once the early scenes of people coming to terms with the end of the world, that are fairly coarse, are out of the way, we get onto a very pleasantly familiar road trip of Carrell’s character trying to find the love of his life. What he doesn’t know, and the point of the movie (spoiler alert!) but we do, is that he’s already found her.Martin Sheen makes his small part count as our protagonist’s father.

This shows what the TV “comedy” “The Last Man on Earth” could have been.

The final scene is quite achingly lovely, and overall this is indeed a charming, feelgood movie which leaves a warm fuzzy feeling behind.

Good soundtrack, too.

It’s nice that there’s still room for a bit of thoughtful gentleness.
on 13 May 2016
What a little gem of a movie. Laugh out loud funny, achingly sad, and beautifully paced. Great character acting, touchingly directed, with a perfect music score. I won't spoil it for you with any detail.....just watch it. I'm so glad I did.
on 3 April 2016
Great movie an much better than I had anticipated. Well acted and believable, making you really think about how you would spend your remaining days on Earth.
The film is very funny, abit emotional in places but overall great :)

Would recommend this movie, is not too serious and easy to watch!
on 19 January 2013
Felt that the story line had great potential but the long silences by Steve Carroll just werent funny to me its all individual taste but did not relate to it at all , in fact could not even wait to the end before switched it off
on 13 September 2014
This film is my new favourite film. I loved the ways in which the different characters reacted to their circumstances and the various decisions and choices each person makes. It is a lovely mixture of comedy, irony, sadness, fear, hope and most importantly love. I truly loved the ending, whilst not what I had hoped for It was just perfect. This film has so much depth to it and is a gem for any true romantics out there.
a 70 mile wide astroid is hurtling toward earth,attempts to alter it's
course has failed......just a few short weeks remain.
'dodge' and 'penny' who had only known each other a short time escape a
riot.
the two set out on a road trip to fulfil a need to be with someone important
to them as time runs out.
the mission for 'dodge' to meet up again with the love he'd lost when still
a young man.
'penny's' quest, to reunite with her parents and share her last moments with
them.
maybe the unlikely couple have allready found all they really need.
there are many moments that will allmost certainly bring a smile to your face.
there are also some poignant as time runs out.
(it's fair to say we survived many prophets of doom that read disaster into
the end of the 'mayan' calender,thankfully the day has past, and most of us
are still here )
an apocalyptic movie worthy of viewing
on 28 September 2012
The end of the world is nigh. A giant meteor is heading inexorably towards Earth, and the people of the world are preparing to meet death in their own way. Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World [DVD] tells the story of just two of these people, Dodge (Steve Carell) and Penny (Keira Knightley), in the final three weeks of their lives.

As a film, Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World [DVD] is difficult to classify. Is it a spoof apocolypse movie, or a romantic comedy? It certainly has elements of both genres, and the combination seems to work to a certain extent.

I went to see this film at the Odeon in Leicester in July. While I would not rate it as the movie of the year, it's still quite entertaining and worth seeing again if you're at a loose end. Especially if you're a fan of either Steve Carell or Keira Knightley.
on 12 December 2012
At last a part that really suits Keira Knightly - flaky home-counties girl abroad. Steve Carrell is superb playing the part he always plays - confused male: he may be a somewhat limited actor but what he can do he does well.

I just love the premise that nobody really knows what to do as the end of the world approaches: thus, the film gives the whole range from aggressive mayhem and kindness, murder and sacrifice , suicide and optimism, orgies of sex/drugs and sensible selfless behaviour, humanity and evil etc, etc. There are those whom just give up and those who carry on as usual as if nothing will happen and every range in between. I wonder if my lawn will be neatly mown when Armageddon strikes?

It is, however, a film that will have its detractors and will be intensely disliked by those who judge their films solely on violence and action. This is expected and not a criticism of the film and it is not an action movie.