on 12 October 2012
Why waste your money on an ipad? This piece of kit has it all. Plenty of differing connectivity, it supports flash and has a forward and rear facing camera. Compare that lot to your ipad!!! The screen is nice and bright either in auto mode or select your own preferance via the manual setting. I have not noticed any light "bleed" at the screen edge as noted in other reviews. Sound is acceptable given the size of the device. The "ice cream sandwich" operating system works well and is quite intuitive and quick. A good product from a good manufacturer so a good balance between price and quality
on 30 January 2013
I was looking at getting a new laptop for £300 to £400 which I wanted to have more RAM than my old laptop (1.7GHZ) and a DVD rewriter and importantly an HDMI port.

A number of my friends had waved their IPads in front of me a few times and it had piqued my interest enough to look at the Android equivalent. I didn't want to buy another Apple product after the issues I had transferring songs from my old iPod to another new computer without wiping all my old songs off the iPod; that and Apple software limits you in what you can do with other manufacturers and software.

Anyway, in the end I decided I hardly ever need a DVD rewriter and for the convenience of hand held surfing in front of the tv or sat on the loo or just wandering around the house that a tablet would provide I could sacrifice a little bit of speed and RAM (but only a little) and this tablet had an HDMI port, so I went for it!

I really like it. My girlfriend's and my computing use has become a much more entertainment based experience with loads of apps making things quick and accessible and loads of free games making it fun and challenging. We've still got the ability to surf and shop (of course) but now we can stream movies and Youtube through the tablet and onto the TV where before we would sometimes watch a movie on the laptop screen.

So, on the whole, it's great. Two little notes of warning though: Being Android you can't watch Lovefilm movies through it (not at the mo' anyway (30.01.2013)), Secondly, I think, also being Android you can't run Java programs on it (or I haven't discovered the right app to do so yet). It's amazing what you can do without Java nowadays but I think there are still some things that you really need it for (hence, the warning).

In summary, get one, I recommend it.
on 28 January 2013
The Toshiba AT300 is a sensible choice for anyone wanting an easy to use and credible alternative to the ubiquitous iPad.
It is much faster, when booting up, than most laptops and the on screen keyboard is much easier to use than I thought, having used the fiddly one on most smart phones!
The unit is reasonably light and well balanced, but the in-built gyroscope is vey slow to respond to changes in orientation.
Battery life, on average, is approximately 7 hours, with mixed use and wi-fi connectivity is excellent. The screen resolution is not quite as good as the iPad, but more than adequate for all everyday applications.
One slight issue is the availability of connecting cables for usb and HDMI. I have tried most of the high street retailers and a few on line, but getting exactly the right cable is proving difficult!
Expanding the 16Gb internal memory is easy via the full size SD card slot. More and more tablet manufacturers are either providing a micro SD slot, or in some cases, not bothering with one at all. Being able to quickly transfer data from a digital camera is a bonus, avoiding messing about with the tiny micro cards!
Overall performance is impressive and it represents very good value for money. I hadn't thought of Toshiba, in relation to tablets before, but as a great alternative to the usual choices, try this one - you won't be disappointed!
on 6 January 2013
Well, I was one of the lucky ones who got a 32GB version for £250 before Amazon sold out. I flogged my Nexus7 to buy this as I also have a Galaxy Note, and the Nexus7's 7" screen was rather too similar to the Notes 5.3".

Downside is that its still on Android 4.0.3 (ICS) rather than JellyBean (4.1). Jelly bean has, however started to roll out - but not to UK-bought devices as yet.

I replaced the stock shell with 'Nova Launcher', and the stock keyboard with 'Thumb Keyboard 4'.

Built wise, I was pleasantly surprised. I had heard stories of the screen lifting, and backlight leaks. I have not noticed either of these on my device. I'll list the +ve/-ve points below:

Positive:

- Price
- Full sized SD card slot that will take 64GB cards (FAT32 only unfortunately, which limits you to 4GB files)
- Above slot is accessible without removing the back etc!
- Micro HDMI port
- Fast 1.3GHz, runs the likes of Need For Speed very well
- Lightweight
- I quite like the textured alu back panel - it does not collect finger prints
- Front camera works well for skype
- Comes with Thinkfree office
- Micro USB Port does USB-OTG for using memory sticks etc
- Feels fairly sturdy (not ipad sturdy), and its not going to be as nice feeling as Nex7 due to larger screen. Comparable to Samsung Galaxy 10.1's tho
- Big screen great for browsing/photo viewing in comparison to my Nex7
- I have found battery life to be fairly good. Certainly I don't find it worse than my Nex7

Negative:

- With the SD card installed, it is not covered. My card is an Micro SD in an adapter so I have sticky taped the microsd into the adapter to avoid loosing it
- To install the SD card, one removes the 'dummy' SD card from the device and stashes it somewhere
- Volume is not loud enough. Fine through headphones though
- Charging only poss through dock connector, and cable/connector unwieldldy for travel
- Screen is not bright enough to use in a brightly lit room
- A few bugs (screen glitch, and keyboard/task bar moves 1 pixel up/down occasionally). Hopefully fixed in jellybean update
- Back camera quality awful. Does not focus very well when LED flash used

If i'd paid more like the original £350-400 for this then it would loose one star. It has some issues, but for £250, and with Jelly Bean on the way, I am happy with my purchase.
on 29 December 2012
I had a look at all the notebooks I could find and decided that I wanted to follow the same browser format that I use at present. The Toshiba seemed the most versatile, having an HDMI, USB & SD card input/output. As it has the Google browser all my browsing bookmarks are ready to hand, so you can access anything that you have bookmarked using Google.
When you turn the Toshiba on, there is some light "bleed" around the edge of the screen, but this is not apparent except for the initial start up. In normal use the screen is crisp & clear with very good HD reproduction. The Microsoft office package translates very well into the inbuilt system and I have been able to view all my Word, Excel & PowerPoint information through a USB flash Drive. You will need a readily available conversion lead from micro to USB 2.
Battery lasts 6/7 hours continuous use, obviously much longer if you put it in standby mode as soon as you have finished with it.
Overall I am completely satisfied with the purchase, does everything I hoped for & more. Really glad I followed my instincts & went for the android system & didn't follow the crowd & get an ipad.
on 15 January 2014
My Toshiba AT300 broke down just two months out of warranty. I contacted Toshiba to ask for the cost to repair the tablet. I was informed that the repair cost would be £433.31! for a product that costs less than £300 new. It is obvious that Toshiba just want you to buy another Tablet and pay just under £300 per year for the 'privilege' of having one of their tablets. My suggestion is to look for a Tablet made by a different company. I will never buy from Toshiba again.
on 14 September 2012
I have had this tablet for over a month now and I am very pleased with it. However it did take me a bit to get used to using as I owned a very fast laptop before this. There is some screen bleed but is only seen on start up and is not noticeable when watching BBCi player or videos as far as I can see. It's great for surfing the net (once you have played around with it for a bit) and customized it. I do use a basic PC as well to store music, pics, videos and files etc. And to run the printer off too. All in all this is a very fast very sleek tablet which I would highly recommend.
on 21 December 2012
bought it early this week. delivered via CityLink and they are not the most reliable or customer friendly.

excellent product so far. there is very slight screen bleed in one corner but not noticeable when using the tablet. its only visible during boot up time.

i've used android based devices before and toshiba bloatware does not add too much on top of the basic stuff - which is good.

did 100s of comparisons before settling for this tablet as it ticks all the interfaces/connectivity required. it also has an inbuilt gps which i was a bit surprised about as i didnt see it anywhere in the amazon advert.

4 stars because the device failed to boot up properly once today. worked ok when i re-tried. ignoring it as a one time issue. but otherwise happy with the product.
on 8 December 2012
Toshiba AT300
The tablet is well built pleasant to hold and use. Setting up date, time and wi-fi was easy. I’ve downloaded Chrome which seems faster and easier to use than the built in browser. Battery life is good with about three hours use a day plus four or five on standby, requiring a five or six hour charge about every three days. My only real complaint is the almost complete lack of any “how to” information. The installed User Guide is of little help and seems to deal only with the hardware side of things with nothing much on how the operating system works. I’ve been involved with PC’s since the early 80’s using from using the old IBM DOS through the various Windows incarnations but Android is such a different animal I cannot be the only user to want a better manual. I thought I’d buy one of the books available on the Android OS but reading the reviews they seem either to be biased towards the phones or of little value.
To sum up - a nice piece of kit that would be even better if I knew how to use it properly.
I would recommend it to a friend
on 4 February 2013
I own several tablets. Including the nexus 7 and an ipad.. and with out a doubt this is the best value for money at £220 pounds it is a bargain for a 10 inch tablet with quad core, HDMI, USB, and SD slot.... Well built and good looking... it delivers excellent performance, picture quality and sound..

In my opinion. Well worth A look!

Ps service was excellent and delivery was 2 days.