5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 10 inch tablet - best on the market!
This is an amazing tablet! I spent ages researching and checking all available 10 inch tablets before buying this one. Sure you can get a good 7 inch tablet for less, but I wanted a 10 incher or nothing! I will share my thoughts below, together with how it compares to the Apple ipad 3, as I get fed up of Apple lovers saying the ipad is the best!

The quality is...
Published 21 months ago by Shaun Carter

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty poor
Poor quality resolution and feel to it. Gave it to our son of 13 for Xmas - he has not used it very much at all and is careful with it and yet is has suddenly given up the ghost and despite the fact that we bought it direct from Amazon and I have the paperwork it doesn't appear to be under a one year guarantee....wish I had spent more money on a better quality product.
Published 11 months ago by CathMac

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 10 inch tablet - best on the market!, 2 Oct 2012
Shaun Carter (Birmingham, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba AT300 32GB 10.1-inch Tablet (nVIDIA Tegra T30SL 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, Micro HDMI, Micro USB, Card Reader, Android 4.0) (Personal Computers)

The quality is superb, very good quality build. The back is silver metal, so are the sides. The display does pick up alot of fingerprints, but there are screen protectors to help with that. The toughened gorilla glass puts peace to mind too. This is something the ipad does not have.

It is heavy so you can't hold it in one hand for long. Its just a case of placing it on your lap when it use. But the ipad is even heavier.

There is some slight light bleed on the screen when there is a completely black screen, but I rarely notice it. The screen is very bright with controls to manually or automatically adjust brightness. The automatic option reduces battery usage. The viewing angle is incredible and can be viewed from almost any angle.

There are lots of ports to insert a memory card to increase storage, a micro HDMI port, a mini USB port, together with the power charging port. I bought an extension to allow a memory stick to be plugged into the mini USB port too. The ipad has none of these and you cannot expand the storage in an ipad.

The camera quality is super despite reviews. Sure its not as sharp as a dedicated camera, but no camera on any tablet (including the ipad) is as good as a dedicated camera. The video is HD quality and I can't see much difference between the video recorded on this, and full HD video recorded on a dedicated camcorder. So don't believe what people say about the camera and video recording quality!

There are two speakers at the bottom - the ipad only has 1 speaker. The sound is slightly quiet but there are lots of settings to increase the volume and make it more surround-sound like. There does seem to be a bug in the software as people have reported the speakers stopping working sometimes. It happened to me a couple of times so I had to restart it. Hopefully Toshiba will release an update soon.

It runs Android ICS and I read that Toshiba will upgrade it to Jelly Bean soon. The software is very fast, although if you have a few applications or updates running at once, there might be some slight lag. This would be the same on any tablet, and even slower on the cheaper ones. The software is very easy to use with lots of settings. Not too many Apps built-in just standard ones like Facebook, Evernote, and a great non-MS Office suite.

Having a fast Tegra 3 processor helps the speed of the software, as its 1.3GHz. Only two other Android tablets are faster, and neither of them are available in the UK yet. The ipad processor runs at 1.0GHz.

There is 1GB of RAM, which is fairly standard apart from the ipad which is only a mere 256MB of RAM. I have played some 3D graphics intensive games and they run with no lag at all. There are many games designed just for the Tegra graphics processor in this.

I think thats about covered it! I adore this tablet, independent reviews have shown it is one of the fastest and best on the market at present and I agree. Buy one, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 19 Aug 2012
M. Hitchcock (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
I am really blown away by this tablet, it does everything I want beautifully and I'm discovering things I never knew I could do on a computer. I investigated other tablets or before deciding on this one. The IPad gets all the reviews but trying to be objective about it I found it to be limited in in several areas, fixed amount of storage; can't add extra storage, (the Nexus 7 is the same),no HDMI, etc. The Toshiba seem to fit my requirements; 10,1 gorilla glass screen, display equal to most other tablets (not the IPad 3 of course) Tegra 3, Android 4.03 ICS(announced to be upgraded to jellybean soon), 1 GB/32GB internal storage, full-size SD card slot, HDMI & mini USB port and good battery life.
When I first received my AT300 I had a problem with it but Toshiba were very efficient and replaced it very quickly. The new one is fine; fast, solidly built and very easy to use. I have added a Logitech Tablets Speaker which makes it into a great personal entertainment centre;stereo sound transformed into surround sound with the Toshiba software.
Although the touch screen and the screen keyboard work extremely well, for alternative or heavy duty input I can add a Bluetooth keyboard, but currently I can use both a ordinary PC keyboard and mouse via the mini USB port through a USB hub.
I also love watching TED talks in HD on my 42 inch Panasonic TV via the HDMI cable.
The software provided is of good quality and of course I have made good use of the Google Play Store, TED Talks being one of the Apps I really like.
I wondered whether I would find a tablet a passing fad, but I find I use it all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would be 5 Stars if it was 3g, 3 Oct 2012
I have upgraded from the Motorola Xoom to the Toshiba AT300. The Xoom was good but the AT300 is far better with it's quad core processor as well as being so much lighter weight wise. Much less lag on swiping and brilliant screen quality. When hooked up to the micro HD to HD cable I also get fantastic picture quality on my TV. Whether streaming , using an app or internet (I use a 10ft cable). A few people mention light bleed but its nothing; as soon as you open an app, website, office document, publication, you don't notice it. The Gorilla Glass screen also means that it really hard to get scratches. I even prefer it to the ipad 2 I owned prior to becoming an Android convert. 3g would have been useful but apart from that I'm very happy with my choice of tablet. Hope this feedback is useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba AT300 32GB Tablet, 26 Oct 2012
Did quite a bit or research before buying this tablet and am very pleased with my purchase.Its my first dip into android and I have only had the tablet for two weeks so I am still on a steep learning curve.The tablet is fast and perfect for Skype.Downloaded a couple of games for Tegra 3 and the graphics are brilliant.I think this tablet is a bargain at the price I paid.Would have preferred a hard copy of the handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything and more, 15 Dec 2012
Excellent tablet, grossly underrated in the gadget journals, some great,features like the SD card reader, a huge advantage over the iPad and I'd have thought essential for photographers, really useful for those using cards for sound,recording, Does everything you'd,expect at a great price, and seriously scores over the iPad and the trendy 7 inch Androids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba AT300, 29 Dec 2012
I had a look at all the notebooks I could find and decided that I wanted to follow the same browser format that I use at present. The Toshiba seemed the most versatile, having an HDMI, USB & SD card input/output. As it has the Google browser all my browsing bookmarks are ready to hand, so you can access anything that you have bookmarked using Google.
When you turn the Toshiba on, there is some light "bleed" around the edge of the screen, but this is not apparent except for the initial start up. In normal use the screen is crisp & clear with very good HD reproduction. The Microsoft office package translates very well into the inbuilt system and I have been able to view all my Word, Excel & PowerPoint information through a USB flash Drive. You will need a readily available conversion lead from micro to USB 2.
Battery lasts 6/7 hours continuous use, obviously much longer if you put it in standby mode as soon as you have finished with it.
Overall I am completely satisfied with the purchase, does everything I hoped for & more. Really glad I followed my instincts & went for the android system & didn't follow the crowd & get an ipad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value tablet, everything you need, 21 Dec 2012
This is the best value tablet around right now - at 250 for the 32GB version. A 10 inch screen is a minimum really if you want to comfortably use it for watching media. We bought as a family living room computer - in part to introduce our toddler to computers, because there are so many games available free on Google play (built in to the Toshiba's Android system) - so no need to keep buying small electronic toys. Touch screens are the easiest way for a toddler to learn and this also doubles up as a video player for him in the car. You can transfer video from your TV hard-disk recorder via your PC (loading the Toshiba's SD card slot or micro USB cable). Comes with a decent media player for music, video etc - but you can also download "VLC" for a fully flexible media player (again on Google Play).

Only negative is that there are not so many cases available for this tablet - in the end we bought a "Bobj Case" on Amazon for 20 (little expensive but robust). Bobj Heavy Duty Case for Toshiba Excite 10 AT305 AT300 - Bobj protective cover - Batfish Blue

Would also recommend downloading "Dolphin" web browser on Google Play, as it's faster and works well within the touch screen environment. It has 'add-ons' which easily allow you to watch video on sites like the BBC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 14 Dec 2012
I gave this tablet 5 stars it;s very easy to use.I would recommend this tablet for everyone who want,s a good fast tablet at a ok price.Well done toshiba.Delivery the very next day!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Tablet, 5 Sep 2012
R. Cunningham "Gadget freak" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I did quite a lot of research before purchasing the Toshiba, as it was my first tablet. Ipad was not even considered as I hate itunes and the dictatorial attitude of apple. In my opinion the Toshiba beats the ipad in every way, except perhaps the screen, although you would have to be very critical indeed to complain about this, as it is crystal clear. The equivalent ipad would have cost me another 100 pounds, not justified just for the screen, and certainly not for the restrictions you get from owning an ipad. I would not deny that the ipad is a good tablet, its just way overpriced, hardly surprising it's the richest company in the world. My only complaint, as with the ipad, is the connector for the charging circuit; I would have much preferred standard charging via the micro usb port instead of these oversized connector ports.

In conclusion I'm glad I got the Toshiba, it would have got 5 stars had they opted for the standard charging port but until such time as someone sees sense and eliminates the massive charging port I consider the Toshiba AT300 to be the best available on the market bar none.

Update:
I decided the charging port was to much of an issue for me, so it was returned. I needed this for portability because I work away from home quite a bit. Its not that hard to misplace a lead, and if this were to happen with this, it would be a disaster as leads are expensive and hard to get. Pity because I really liked this Toshiba tablet, and would certainly consider it again in the future, if they ever get around to using a standard usb charging method.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 21 Dec 2012
bought it early this week. delivered via CityLink and they are not the most reliable or customer friendly.

excellent product so far. there is very slight screen bleed in one corner but not noticeable when using the tablet. its only visible during boot up time.

i've used android based devices before and toshiba bloatware does not add too much on top of the basic stuff - which is good.

did 100s of comparisons before settling for this tablet as it ticks all the interfaces/connectivity required. it also has an inbuilt gps which i was a bit surprised about as i didnt see it anywhere in the amazon advert.

4 stars because the device failed to boot up properly once today. worked ok when i re-tried. ignoring it as a one time issue. but otherwise happy with the product.