5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Ocean - The Discovery Channel
By the time Frank Ocean made his recent broadcast television debut on the Jimmy Fallon show performing the epic "Bad Religion" the secret was out and so was Frank. His admission in a recent letter on tumbir.com that he was bi-sexual finally dragged hip hop with its often vicious homophobia screaming into the 21st century and hopefully the whole horrible façade of...
Published on 15 July 2012 by Red on Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped album
Dont get me wrong, there's nothing really bad here but its certainly not the amazing album that the reviews i have read claimed it was. Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.
Published 20 months ago by James Weeden

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, 29 Nov 2013
Michael Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
I wanted more from Frank Ocean on this album and whilst there are a few nice tracks, there's a lot of bore that you won't be interested in.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's all the fuss?, 7 Jan 2013
Okay so maybe I'm missing the point here! Who cares? My review is based on what I hear,mostly.
If you're idea of an excellent album,which,lets face it,this is far from,despite the glowing reviews,is a bunch of incoherent,unfinished interludes,a few decent enough songs and a couple of excellent songs,then maybe either this is the album for you OR you are very,very easily satisfied.
Some great lyrics,some excellent production values and franks awesome voice are not enough to credit this debut with four or five stars! I agree,it does show some brilliance but those moments are few and far between.
This album shows great promise for the future and hence why I feel this album only gives us a slight insight,like he has popped his head around the curtain and given us a few flashes of what's hopefully to come. It's nowhere near as accomplished an effort as industry insiders would have us believe.
Apart from that,and call me cynical, but, so what if he's gay,so what that he wrote a letter explaining with vibrant honesty about this ' issue' . Quit making it an issue and maybe one day,it won't be one. Being heterosexual isn't an 'issue' for jeez sake!
Coincidence that this letter was written to coincide with the release of his debut album? That is for you to decide but, basically, his confessional wasn't needed right now,wasn't asked for and is certainly not important to the outcome of what the albums content came to be! But I bet it helped shift a few more units!
Try harder next time mr...put the effort into the music,it's there alright but it needs some fond nurturing!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome stuff, 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
One of this years best releases, no doubt. A lot of good material which is almost impossible to grow tired of.

1.0 out of 5 stars illegal vinyl copy, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Channel Orange [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Music may well be very good, but there is no legal version of this on vinyl.
Copy was poor quality sleeve, vinyl and sound.
Only place to put is the garbage.
Full refund given by seller who had no choice

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 23 Dec 2012
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
My favourite album of 2012 by far. Frank is so talented, his music gives me goosebumps and is so so soulful. I enjoyed every song and have had it on repeat since I bought it. Worth the buy, what a refreshing addition to the Hip Hop/R&B scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
Bought for my daughter as a present havent had a chance to listen yet but cover is great.Only thing was it dosent come in a hard case.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Mr. Ocean and yet..., 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
I am a MAJOR fan of Frank Ocean and bought this just because of his name. I enjoy his songs Novocaine and Swim Good immensely and was expecting these to be on his first album... I was seriously let down.
Not only were my two favourite songs not on the album, but the songs resembled nothing like the sound I had come to associate with Frank Ocean.
If you are into Novocaine and Swim Good, I would tell you to keep away from this album - IMHO you will be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's like elevator music, 8 Jan 2013
I'm trying to broaden my music tastes and after the rave reviews I saw for this album I thought I'd give it a try. Wish I hadn't bothered.

The album is so boring! I thought that maybe it would be a grower so I gave it a few more listens. It was still boring.

Wish I'd listened to a few of the tracks on youtube first before I made the purchase. I would have known not to part with my cash.

It could be a good album and just an acquired taste. Not for me at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Channel Orange (Audio CD)
I bought this for a friend who was very very satisfied (reason for the 4 stars). However, this album doesn't appeal to me at all :/ I'm not one of those losers who sticks to one genre only, i pretty much listen to absolutely everything. Problem was, this album just sounds like any other R&B artist out there

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and boring ... sure to appeal to the masses, 21 July 2012
Dull and boring ... sure to appeal to the masses. Nothing special happening here. Music to nod off to for sure. Just run-of-the-mill homogenous smooth pap. Sure he's a nice enough bloke though.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Channel Orange
Channel Orange by Frank Ocean (Audio CD - 2012)