1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 25 May 2013
This review is from: A Journey on the Manx Electric Railway (DVD) (DVD)
I am so thrilled that someone has taken the time to put together a DVD of my favourite journey, anywhere in the world. I know it's sad, and I've travelled extensively, but the most delightful trip I know is riding in the open carriage of the Manx Electric Railway (MER) between Douglas and Laxey. When I discovered this I was like the proverbial pig in muck. There are only a couple of things which prevent me giving this 5 out of (I'm notoriously hard to please). Firstly, the producers made a similar DVD of the Manx Steam railway journey between Douglas and Port Erin (which is also superb, by the way), but filmed it on a day of glorious sunshine and blue skies. I assume that they weren't restricted to one particular date for the MER one, but it's filmed on a terribly grey, overcast day, and that disappointed me. I apologise if I'm being overly picky, or if that WAS the only day available, but this was screaming out for sunshine (and I go to the Island regularly, so I know full well that good weather certainly can't be guaranteed, but still...). The second thing - which bugged me intensely - were the number of shots of the driver. Now, I'm sure he's a very nice man, and he's certainly doing a wonderful job, but it seemed as if the camerman was his brother or something. I love the journey itself. Usually the view ahead is restricted by the carriages, train etc. This was an ideal opportunity for us to have an uninterrupted view of the track ahead. That's why I bought the DVD. Granted, 2 or 3 shots of the driver were justified, but we'd had that many before we'd reached Port Jack! I'm so sorry if I sound really trivial, but I was so excited when I found out about this disc, and wanted it to be perfect. The Steam railway one got my hopes up. This one was excellent, don't get me wrong, and I'm intensely grateful to the makers for putting it togther. I'm just a little frustrated, though, that it could easily have been glorious.

A Journey on the Manx Electric Railway (DVD)
Used & New from: £11.99