5.0 out of 5 stars You need a controller to get the best game experience
This is just a warning to potential buyers who aren't already geared up with a game controller for their pc. I can't really comment on the game itself as I'm only a few levels into it, though I'm enjoying it immensely as it's delightfully off-the-wall in a non-threatening kind of way.

Not having played video games since 'Tomb Raider' (oh how that ages me!), I...
Published on 14 Dec 2012 by Chappers

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't add it to my steam account.
That's the biggest disappointment.
Other than that, it has few bugs (i suspect maybe steam version is updated) and sometimes it's just frustrating when you loose control over your minion and have to watch him fall into the water over and over again even when you do nothing.
Besides it's a good fun and I liked playing it a lot.
Published 11 months ago by Janina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You need a controller to get the best game experience, 14 Dec 2012
Chappers "chappers" (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)

Not having played video games since 'Tomb Raider' (oh how that ages me!), I couldn't resist buying this Lego LOTR game for my Windows Vista laptop. Alas, on installing it, I found that the Read Me file says: "For the best game experience it is recommended that you play LEGO® The Lord of the Rings(tm) using a dual analog game pad with six buttons. You will be unable to tip-toe /walk slowly when using a keyboard."

I ploughed on regardless but found the keyboard controls horrendously hard work (such as trying to select the right character), and for some things impossible to achieve. I finally hit a wall during 'Weathertop', where my keystrokes simply did nothing. So I caved in and bought this excellent controller Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black (PC) which installed without a hitch. The game recognised the controller immediately and now properly displays on-screen prompts etc. Quite an expensive addition to my little detour into pc gameplay, but now at last I can enjoy this amusing game as it was meant to be played!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
This is fantastic, graphics are great, play is great, lego is great. What more do you need to know? I have every single lego game ever sold and they get better each time. This is huge and there's tons to do :)

The areas are huge and there's soundtrack direct from the movie, I'm now four levels or so in and my only gripe with the game is some of the camera angles. I keep getting stuck behind things and having to swap to someone else to get myself free.

I brought the PC version as I'm sick of forking out extra to get it on Wii or ps3.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT :), 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
If you love lego games or Lotr, get this game, it's great. It looks amazing, the cut scenes are great, combining lego's humour with the actual dialogue from the films. it has the original howard shore soundtrack (epic) and the open world middle earth aspect is what really makes this game, you can literally walk from the shire to mordor, theres a ton to do. I must have already clocked up 35+ hours in a week :) thought this game would be a little fun, turns out I LOVE IT :) and the price for it is very good too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lego Game to Date, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
Thou I have yet at the time of writing this, to complete the freeplay side of things in the game, I am really enjoying this game, sure a few scenes from the movies were left out in favour of pacing of the story, but overall, its proven its self to be a game really worth playing and grips rather easily! The video sequences are well done and really funny to watch! With so much to do, in the game, it takes ages to do but its a fantastic game with voice clips from the movies, it makes it vastly superior to the Harry Potter games!

I really recommend this game, its suitable for anyone and it doesn't matter if your an adult or a child, its easily the best Lego game to date and well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
As expected

5.0 out of 5 stars LotR lego, 2 Jun 2014
Shawn Badger Burns "Lt Badger" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
Firstly Lego and Lord of the Rings. Great combo.

I am a huge fan of both.

The company behind all the lego games is Traveller's Tales and they do a wonderful job with their games.

That said here is why LotR Lego is particularly wonderful.

The gameplay covers all three films. It spans across the whole of Middle Earth [or that pertaining to the LotR storyline].

You will need to invest quite some hours to completely finish the game 100%. This sounds bad as I type it but for longebity sake I thought this was a great and enduring game not just a weekend romp so to speak.

Despite the review by 'Chappers', I played the game with keyboard [on the pc], and had no gaming issues because of it. maybe he had a pre release version. incidently I have since played it on the Wii and essentially the game is identical but the playing experience is more polished, I think due to the controller.

As a lego game they do not really deviate much from other level games. There are 18 main story levels [one of them the prologue]. There is a bonus level also.

Finishing the levels [completely], brings game completion to about 30%. I say completely as there are aspects to the levels that are impossible to finish on the first pass through them. This adds to the game charm.

To obtain 100% on a level you need to collect 10 minikits, collect a minimum amount of studs on level one for example its 30,000. collect quest items or pieces that improve your performance in some way.

There are several quests in Middle Earth to be completed, [often hilarious ones that my son missed the humour on. Case in point was an orc chef who wanted 'to put meat back on the menu']. In fact for those who read the books and saw the films there is a strong humourous undercurrent,

The quests often take you back into the levels to collect this or that item. There are races on foot on horse, whack a mole type races.

The game still had lots of life in it for my 6 year old who having finished the levels really enjoyed running aound Middle Earth finishing the quests off and collecting the 80+ playable chars.

As teh game allows 4 profiles to play it, I dont mind telling you that it was also a game I throughly enjoyed too.

Lego Batman 3 this Autumn ... Cant wait for it

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another great LEGO game, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
I love the LEGO games as they give a fine action game with very little gore. All the "blood" is LEGO that soon just disappears unless you need to do something with it. I do find the problems a bit repetitive within the set and they can be a bit easy and there are some frustrating places where you need to be very accurate to complete an action. I'd like to see some more logic to solve things but then it would likely miss the more intended audience.

Other pluses are the way the game is sectioned means you can dip in and out as you want but it can be very addictive like all good games. Is it really that time already? Then there is the brilliant LEGO humour. Just little touches here and there but you may need to know the "source" material to get the joke. Now the first LEGO games to feature voices I found more annoying than good as the non-voiced games made really good use of the visual medium to convey the story and this seemed to get missed with the voices. This game restores that humour far better and the voicings are much better.

There are a couple of niggles that seem to be a feature of the series. The main one is you can get stuck in some places where you can't move or die. The only way I've found out is to activate the second player, drop out the first and then move the second player off-set so the game brings the stuck character out. You can then join the first player and drop out the second.

Looking forward to The Hobbit later this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't add it to my steam account., 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
That's the biggest disappointment.
Besides it's a good fun and I liked playing it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best film to Lego conversions, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
I am not a massive LOTRs fan - but I have all the films. This is a very good re-imagining of the story and great to play!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego Lord of the rings, 23 July 2013
Evelyn Salter (Tonbridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) (Video Game)
I bought this for a friends birthday. However the delivery was really quick and the price was awesome. My friend is a big fan of the lego games and really loved this. I am hoping to buy the xbox version for my self soon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD)
LEGO Lord of the Rings (PC CD) by Warner Bros. Interactive (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)