on 1 August 2013
This is an outstanding guide to constructing a novel, a summary of what the author has learned from writing 18 novels and from many years of teaching writing. It's not original, and she doesn't pretend it is; she references great ideas and gives other writers credit where it's due. What it does is strip away all the anecdotes and verbiage that pepper other how-to books, getting straight to the point; a clear, simple how-to guide that leads us step by step from testing a premise to scene construction. She even offers a free accompanying workbook to download. Avoid years of reading all the how-to books; Cathy has done that for us. Now all we have to do is write...

PS I bought this ebook from amazon.co.uk, but amazon doesn't seem to be able to verify that.
on 7 July 2014
Like the author I am an avid reader of how to writing guides and this is by far the best one I've come across. Yardley offers a buffet of writing tips and methods resulting in a fulfilling how to guide. She also gives a list of recommended books for further reading and credit s other authors where credit is due. I will urge any prospective buyer to take a look at her website where she offers the work book that accompanies this guide absolutely free.

Overall I can conclude that if you are interested in writing a book but you are unsure about how to get from a to z consider yourself lucky you've stumbled onto this little gem.

Thanks Cathy
on 29 September 2015
'Rock Your Plot' is fantastic. Cathy Yardley's writing is clear and concise as she walks the reader through her system for creating great plots. While Yardley acknowledges these tips are particularly aimed at genre writers, I found that the advice is applicable to almost all types of fiction writing. This book is a great way to begin thinking about how stories work and what keeps us reading them. Very practical, very informative, highly recommended. Do make the most of the free supplementary materials for readers offered on Yardley's website, too.
on 2 January 2014
This book is such a bargain! It's easy to read, simple and clear to understand and offers such inspiring and reassuring advice - I think it's a must read for any beginner writer. Some of the advice is basic but it's structured in a really helpful way with fantastic examples. I'll definitely be referring back to it in future.
on 12 October 2014
This book was recommended to me by a published author (Cathy Bramley) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's my style of help-book, swift, to the point, and not full of superfluous information. If you have a rough outline of a plot, then reading this book will help you make the most of it.
on 8 July 2013
This book is incredible. I always wondered how I could plot a book without tearing my hair out, and while reading this I figured out how. The author has a refreshing voice and a great number of brilliant ideas. The planning is also easily adaptable. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2014
Cathy offers her wisdom for writers in her Rock Your series. This is a great resource. But I've said it once and I'll keep saying it - I need reference books in print! Still, you'll learn a simple but thoroughly explained technique on how to plot.
on 5 June 2014
This is the perfect how-to book - sticks to the point, sets things out clearly and simply and gives you just what - and only what - you need. No messing about, easy to read and great back-up online. I can't recommend highly enough.
on 25 May 2014
Nice easy read with great information - I didn't want a big book on structure and plotting techniques and this was and still is a useful summary of the basics worth for refering to now and again.
on 19 March 2014
This was by far the most helpful and motivating book I have read to get me started on my writing. Until now I have always put off starting for not knowing where to start and where to go next.