5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful, great observations and thought provoking
I heard about this book on my local radion station, that happened to be interviewing the author. Unfortunately I didn't catch the interview, but caught the title of the book.
Published on 26 July 2005 by Justme

Published 11 months ago by F

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful, great observations and thought provoking, 26 July 2005
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
As an overweight person, I cried in parts when I read the book because the observations made are so... very true. It's a great book to read because the media, magazines etc. perpetuate the myth that to be slim is to be happy every dream will come true - go to any slimming club and this is the underlying ethos. Many people, including myself, have been brainwashed by this myth - and are still dieting to 'scale down' and blend into the landscape, just like Sunny (the main character) has successfully managed to do.
Rather bizarrely this book got me through my first week of the rest of my life. The book doesn't set out to be a self-help book, it is a story, but it certainly inspires. I will definately read this book again during weaker moments - for some inspiration from Sunny Weston.
Either Louise (the author) has been through a significatn weight loss herself, or has had someone close lose weight - the book is expertly written with the kind of detail and observation someone who has walked in the "overweight" boots would know about - observations, detail, emotions, I've never shared with anyone. Even down to the chracter Cagney James who only likes slim blondes ..... this book could have been written by me - so I'm not alone in my opinions ha ha! The book felt like my best friend, who understands everything I am currently going through.
Thanks for what has been the best book I've read all year and a book I will continue to turn to for support - as like Sunny, my friends continue to discourage my efforts, for their own gain in having one-up-manship.
It's a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect 10, 22 July 2005
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
This is without a doubt Louise Kean's best book so far. From the first few pages, I couldn't put it down and found the story really compelling. I have never had an issue with my weight but I found it interesting to read and learn how being larger than a size 10 in a world that expects perfection, effects people.
The author writes with a real sensitvity, so much so, that it made me feel sad at times but it's also so funny in places it had me laughing out loud.
Thought-provoking, funny & a great story - if you enjoyed Louise's other books, this is a must .
Great tube read, great beach read and a great gift for your girl pals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect 10 out of 10, 15 Jan 2007
Ben (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
I read The Perfect 10, I admit reluctantly, on the recommendation of my wife. It appeared the only way to stop her talking endlessly to me about it and what a delightful surprise it was! Body image in the 21st century is a concern of both sexes and this accurate account of the psychological implications of drastic weight loss is the best I have read on the subject. The refreshing writing style engaged me immediately and the sensitive handling of a difficult subject matter kept me hooked until the very last page. Louise Kean has a writing style entirely of her own; honest, yet always entertaining. Having since looked up several of Kean's other novels, it is clear The Perfect 10 is no one off. She is an author to keep an eye on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten out of Perfect Ten, 27 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
The cover of this book might lead you to believe this is another tale of shopping, gossip and fat-fearing females repeating mantras about carbs. What you actually get is a thought-provoking insight into the way women judge themselves and others on their bodies, mixed in with a cracking story. For me what elevated the experience of reading this book was the way in which the author's personal experience shone through and how, for me, she had something new and truthful to say. A number of the characters were very wittily drawn, providing some delicious humour to help bounce the story along nicely. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, then I cried, then I laughed again, 21 July 2005
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
Great characters, funny situations, touching moments and an overriding theme that the majority of women will be able to identify with. The Perfect 10 is a story of love, insecurity and strength of personality. And it's funny, did I mention that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Book, 1 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
For those of you who may be tempted to write this off as a rehash of Jane Green’s “Jemima J” – don’t. While I loved Green’s book, I always wondered what it would really be like to drop all that weight. I suspected the psychological baggage would be harder to shed than the weight. Louise Kean takes this approach. We meet the improbably named Sunny, who’s dropped a ton of weight but in the process finds herself confused by the person she’s become. There’s lots of wit in the book, but all through you sense the real struggle that all of the characters – not just Sunny – endure. I did find Cagney’s history with women a bit hard to believe, but other than that, all of the pieces fit and it made a compelling read. I’d definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've ever read!, 24 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Paperback)
This book is a must read for anyone who has ever struggled with issues of weight.
If offers an insight into the mind of a once overweight person who has slimmed down but still feels restless and cant understand why, even though she is now slim, this is what she wanted? So why is she still not happy!
The book is inspiring and I found it very refreshing to read compared to all the media hype and jargon thrust into our lives every day.
Buy this book, no matter what your size, it offers an insight into the world of someone battling with their own and others perception of image and weight, definatley worth a read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a story but adequate writing style in some parts quite good., 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Kindle Edition)
If you've read other reviews you'll know already what the book is about. Starts off excellently. The protagonist is sympathetic albeit not particularly likable as her lack of self confidence makes her cynical and snarky. This I liked because it portrays a real character with real thought processes. It is also the book's failing which eventually gets so lost in the thought processes and characters' descriptions, arguments and justification of their own thoughts that it fizzles into only that and no plot.
The other characters are purely one-dimensional and simple as if all the effort were poured into the protagonist.
It's a pity.
The author is clearly talented in the art of language, description and her insights into human character are original and intelligent. So for that reason alone I recommend reading this. But again, be prepared for lots of opinions, some repetitive pointless arguments between characters and not much of a plot but clever insights and metaphors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on weight loss, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Kindle Edition)
Not a romantic comedy, more a thought-provoking novel of the emotional effects of a substantial weight loss. Rather predictable in that the two main characters appear to hate each other on sight – how many times has that been written about? – though this is a book with a difference. The lead character Sunny Weston has lost 7 stones in weight and this is handled in an intelligent, sensitive and thought-provoking manner; though owing to this the story is less humorous than I expected. Sunny is a contradiction, because she comes over as a very “nice” person (which is why she gets dumped on a lot!) but then grumbles and whinges for much of the time and allows herself to be used. Sunny had put up with low self-esteem for most of her life, owing to being so overweight and this is about her rediscovering her mojo in many ways, and even finally getting the relationship she has wanted for years. Thankfully she soon wakes up to that one! She has a job that is isolating (and also bizarre) and her best friends turn catty and spiteful when she has lost weight so she appears to be very lonely.

I didn’t really get the attraction of the male lead Cagney (Cagney? Really?!) and I didn’t think much to him at all. He had very deep-seated issues. However I loved his sidekicks in the private detective agency he runs, Howard and Iuan, and Christian who ran the video shop was a fantastic character. More could have been done with him. Sunny’s part of the story is told in the first person, so we really get inside her head, and the rest of the book is narrated. It is very well written, and worth a read even if it is hard to get into at the start and I wasn’t keen on much of the rudeness. 3.5.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Perfect 10 (Kindle Edition)
Once you get the jist of the book , you can start to understand the story behind it. Really enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›