4.0 out of 5 stars Have a Green Day
I've been a Green Day (GD) fan since "Dookie" took over the world and I've enjoyed their music since. Some records, like 2000's "Warning", have been sketchy at best with maybe half a record being great and the rest not so much. "Uno" feels to me like this kind of GD record.

Published on 28 Sept. 2012 by Sam Quixote

2.0 out of 5 stars Lucky it didn't get Uno stars
Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by RFJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Have a Green Day, 28 Sept. 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)

There are quite a few songs that, despite repeat listenings, I can't get into and feel very throwaway. Compare "Troublemaker", "Loss of Control", "Sweet 16" and "Fell For You" (which sounds like "Nimrod"-era GD) to some of GD's B-sides from the late 90s like "Desensitized", "Scumbag" or "Ha Ha You're Dead" and the B-sides actually sound far better than these supposed A-sides (you can get these B-sides on their record "Shenanigans"). If GD weren't doing 3 records in 4 months and were just doing 1, would some of these songs be cut? Most definitely.

But this is GD, gdammit! Billie-Joe is such a talented songwriter he can't help but put some excellent tunes on the record. "Nuclear Family" opens the record with an instantly likeable, punchy, poppy, energetic hook that grabs you and makes you want to jump and sing. And thankfully it's this quality in a number of songs on this record that make "Uno" worth listening to for any GD fan. "Let Yourself Go" and "Carpe Diem" are both classic GD-sounding songs while the enjoyable "Angel Blue" opening riff sounds like The Clash's "I Fought the Law" before moving into that stop-start rhythm that Billie-Joe's perfected over the years.

Even in the most targeted-by-critics song on the record "Kill the DJ", there's a moment in the song that I thought was a nice touch (but most people are right, this song is pretty bad). Despite a very average first single in "Oh Love", tunes like "Rusty James" and "Stay the Night" are undeniable and they're too fun for any GD fan not to enjoy.

So is this a masterpiece like "American Idiot" or "Nimrod"? Nope, but like the last record "21st Century Breakdown", there are a number of excellent songs on here that are pure pop-punk with amazing riffs and fantastic tunes that'll get into your head and heart and make you smile and sing. "Uno" is definitely worth a listen and showcases a band that remains ambitious despite 20+ years in the business. Green Day continue to make fun, entertaining records and put on outstanding live sets - a few weak songs are definitely excusable when balanced out with some wonderful songs that nobody else but Green Day could've written. Welcome back guys, bring on "Dos" and "Tre"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Love it, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
After reading the reviews posted here I had to write one, I think this a brilliant album, love it, all the tunes are really catchy and a few of them remind me of older Greenday songs. I've followed them for years and have all their albums and seen them live, I think theyre the best band in the world and this album doesnt dissapoint!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing earth (or ear) shattering but solid, 24 Sept. 2012
Juz Man "Juz" (Hobart, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
After the recent disappointment of The Killers Battle Born and to a lesser extent The Darkness' Hot Cakes I was set for another let down with Green Day's Uno. Well, I tried to convince myself not to get my hopes up, anyway.....
Would releasing three albums mean there'd be too much filler?
First impressions when listening through Uno is there there's nothing bad on here. No duds. If on first listen there's nothing to turn me off then on each listen the songs can only get better!! Right? However, is there anything here truly A grade memorable? Time will tell.
I don't think I'll ever love Kill The DJ but that seems to be the only slight blemish on what's a very agreeable album. It sounds like a mesh of Nimrod and Warning to me but with less variation in sounds.
I shall now repeat repeat repeat and come back......

I'm back after a weekend of heavy listening and all I can say is I'm quite pleased!! 2012 isn't the write-off it was turning out to be!!
Highlights for me are:
Nuclear Family is a great opener
Let Yourself Go - classic GD
Fell For You is maybe the highlight for me
Troublemaker feels like a track from Warning
Oh Love - not the most original creation but catchy.

The other tracks are all great tunes as well:
Stay The Night though is perhaps a bit overlong
Carpe Diem is like how Jesus of Suburbia would sound if it were from Warning
Kill The DJ is catchy - I admit it.
Loss Of Control is more classic GD
Angel Blue could be a lost Dookie track
Sweet 16 is as the title suggests: sweet.
As for filler, there's none really. Maybe Rusty James (or is it Gloria?) is the only lesser track. It's nice but not in the class of the other tracks - perhaps it's too familiar sounding.

Uno isn't 5 star like American Idiot or 21st Century (maybe too heavy on a verse/chorus format and there's nothing really innovative here) but it's still a quality release. It's an album of singles but not `smash hit' singles and has elements of all previous Green Day albums.
Can't wait for the next two albums......

5.0 out of 5 stars ICONIC SUPER-GROUP, 25 Sept. 2012
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
Green Day have been producing popular mainly original innovative music since 1987 and in the process have entertained many, many millions worldwide. And the good news is that with "iUno!" the thrill roller-coaster continues unabated. With the volume of their output over 25 years it must be accepted that every new single track cannot possibly cause the hairs to stand up on the back of your neck or tingles to go up and down the spine, but the standard overall on this newest album is exceptionally high, and is unmistakably Green Day.

"iUno!" it is reported is the first in a trilogy to be released in November this year and January 2013 and cunningly entitled "iDos!" and "iTre!" respectively - for non-polyglot's like myself that's "iOne!", "iTwo!", "iThree!".

On this album the music is kept on a much simpler, and basic level than the previous two releases "21st Century Breakdown", and "American Idiot" which followed the 'rock opera' genre construction. It is gutsy three chord blasts of pop-punk that first made Green Day the darlings of the punk-progressives of the mid '90's. It is good, basic, iconic Green Day music that stirs the emotions and rocks the auditory senses.

The stand-out tracks for me are "Stay The Night", "Loss Of Control", "Nuclear Family","Sweet 16", "Let Yourself Go", "Kill The D.J.", with the anthemic "On Love" being the best of album.

A very good and enjoyable release. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lucky it didn't get Uno stars, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
I rarely write reviews as I am not as articulate as some out there but just had to review this. I have deeply loved Green Day for a few years now and appreciate their albums from the first one right through to the last mega pop punk opera. In concert they are magical and are near the top of my all time favourites but I am just not getting this album yet. Some songs are catchy and one is growing but on the whole they are sub-standard and don't even touch the early hard and gritty tunes. The peppering of the f'word is unnecessary and rather than adding to the album distracts significantly. It has been playing for a week now and it isn't getting better. Maybe it is because I am getting old and at 47 I am just beyond this but bring on the Vaccines, Scouting for Girls or Mumford because their new offerings are far better than this. Sorry but disappointed. I will probably put a couple of the tracks on a play list and send the rest to the archives.

PS Blink 182 Neighbourhoods album is still playing on my itouch and it just keeps getting better and better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bubblegum Part 1, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
It would possibly have been a bad move for Green Day to give us a 3rd political rock statement following American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Green Day nowadays aren't a bad move band and we are given a refreshing almost back to roots type album. UNO is the equivalent of chewing bubblegum. You can chew as long or as little as you like and still enjoy it, you can spit it out but you'll still find satisfaction in going back to it. Some songs are filler but the majority are good with a few standout tracks such as Fell For You, Carpe Diem and Nuclear Family. This isn't the sound of a band progressing. Rather its the sound of a band knowing what they want and knowing what the fans want and giving them what they want. It's the sound if a band really enjoying themselves and playing with smiles on their faces. The production is clear and crips and another highlight are some of Tre Cools drum fillers. Listen carefully and you'll see / hear what I mean! Felicitaciones Dia de Verde!

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely wasn't what I was expecting., 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
Wouldn't recommend this at all. I was expecting this to be so much better than it was. I feel as if GD have gone far too poppy lately, I'll stick to early Green Day; thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CD, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
Fantastic CD! Well worth the wait. The band back at their best. Equal to American Idiot. Can;t wait for the next 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Nov. 2012
R. Nilsen "smudgyboy" (Dunstable UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
Been waiting for the new albums, and although this has some very "fruity" language, it does rank as another brilliant Green Day album. All the tracks are worth the wait and deserve to be played loud!
Roll on the Emirates next year!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: iUno! (Audio CD)
Green Day can do NO wrong for me. Simple! I play this album everyday & can't wait to see them live at the Emirates in June 13.

iUno!
iUno! by Green Day (Audio CD - 2012)