5.0 out of 5 stars So much water and cheap to run
Wow, this thing really can pull water out of the air.

I bought this to dry washing overnight and by the morning the container is always full and the washing 95% dry.
On full power mode, it is a bit noisy but as it lives in our utility room, that's not a problem; I wouldn't want it in the bedroom though.
On the higher power modes, it does give off...
Published 11 months ago by I. H. Giblett

Published 17 months ago by Papillon

5.0 out of 5 stars So much water and cheap to run, 23 May 2013
I. H. Giblett "Ian" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ecoair DD122FW MK5 Desiccant Classic Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter (Kitchen & Home)
Wow, this thing really can pull water out of the air.

On the higher power modes, it does give off quite a bit of heat. Though it warms the room up lovely and dries things quickly I do wonder just how much electric it is using. The timer is really easy to set though, you can set it to shut off in 2,4, or 8 hours time.

If I had to be negative, the pouring ability on the tray is lacking. You have to take a lid off the tray to empty it, it would have been nice just to remove the draw and pour away. Given how much water is extracts, I'm not bothered by that.

**Update**
I bought an electricity monitor to see how much power this thing used.

I'm paying roughly 13p a unit.

To run all year on full power - 771
To run all year on low power - 408

Full power per hour - 9p
Low power per hour - 5p

To run 10 hours a week for one year on full power about 47
To run 10 hours a week for one year on low power about 26

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the outlay..., 18 Nov 2012
Steven McCue "koosk" (Glenrothes,Scotland) - See all my reviews
Ask yourself,how many people go around thinking "I must look into buying a dehumidifier"? How many people will suffer condensation and blame all sorts rather than look for the solution?
Before I review this item allow me to give you an idea what this unit is covering. We live in a three bedroom semi-detached house with double glazing. No children/pets.Eco-air reckon this size unit is ideal for a three bedroom house and on that basis I bought one.
The main problem we had was high humidity upstairs in the main bedroom while we slept and of course,the bathroom. During the Winter when the windows are closed,the condensation was bad and when sleeping you could feel the damp and as a result didn't sleep well at all.There would be the occasional mould patch near the windows as well.
We also noticed that by simply cooking in the kitchen downstairs and even with a cracked-open window,the upstairs windows would attract the humidity and needed continual wiping to stop water collecting on the sills.
The Eco-air unit has been a revelation and to the point where I am taken aback by its performance. It has many settings available though I feel the clothes drying function will be an option we'll hardly ever use.
During the day I run the unit on Economy mode that will trigger automatically to High if the humidity raises too much.It never has. At night I run the machine on High and in terms of noise levels,let me tell you, I'm a light sleeper but I have become used to it very quickly.
I also bought the TFA Humidity Meter to monitor the units performance and in a typical week,it has brought the relative humidity down from what was on average 75-77% to 59-62% in the main bedroom when checked first thing in the morning.Elsewhere,the levels are in the low 50's.
Not a huge difference you may reckon in the bedroom but let me tell you the actual difference is incredible.
None of the upstairs windows show any condensation what-so-ever,the bedding feels as crisp as it was when fitted and as a result,I'm sleeping much better than ever. When I'm about to go to work I empty the tank and this is where you notice exactly why you bought this thing in the first place.
The machine running on Economy during the day has hardly drawn a drip of condensation...which of course is good, but when run through the night on High for approximately 8 hours,the tank has taken between 500 and as much as 900ml of water out of the air. Go put that in your measuring jug and see if this is going to be the answer to your prayers. Just now it's averaging 680ml per night.
Cost to run? Well as it's going to run on High for 8 hours,this is always going to be the most 'expensive'. It used 4.3kWh and this calculated to 7p per hour to run.
This is where the other benefit of the dehumidifier comes into play. So it costs 56p per night to run but it exchanges the damp air and sends out warm air through it's fan therefore heating the rooms too so I've been able to reduce the gas used through the central heating.
The De-Ioniser is interesting because to my mind the air feels crisp and healthier though I don't know how much of this is 'In the mind'.
Summing up then,I feel that for general household use and especially during the Winter if you're experiencing damp,condensation,unhealthy conditions this unit is the answer to your prayers and a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars DD122FW MK5 dessicant dehumidifier with ioniser & silver filter., 12 Oct 2012
Mr. DJR. "DJR." (Greater Manchester U.K.) - See all my reviews
I've had this just 8 days now but boy what a difference it has made,I spent most of september playing"chase the mold" around my house I had mostly powdery white mildew growing but there was some brown and green mold thrown in for good measure the mildew was even "growing" on electric cables which where a pain to clean as they where coming out of my hifi and computer etc so there is lots of them,my humidity in the downstairs during that recent wet spell at the end of september and beginging of october was at its worst 80%rh and at best 76%rh and unfortunatly I don't have any opening windows downstairs apart from one small one in the porch and no matter how long I left it open with me shivering my t!ts off it didn't drop the humidity more than 1%,upstairs was better as there are sevral windows that can be left on trickle vent though it was still around 65% and I was getting brown mold patches in one corner on the ceiling,so after trying the eggs with silica inside the oddly shaped portable de humidifiers that have the white powder inside them and tupperware tubs with salt and rice in them I decided it was time for getting an electric dehumidifier I spent several days researching and shopping around and finally decided on the Ecoair mk5 as the energy saving part of it was the main selling point to me but other things in its favour where the silver nano filter that traps mold spores and other bad stuff like dust and bacteria and a built in ioniser and a 3d vent at the top which has sevral settings (wide,up,& front) also you can set it on spot or wide venting the blue plastic vent swivels up and down automatically and the white plastic oval shaped guides can be positioned to make the air flow wide or narrow, going off the instruction booklet I beleive its good for if/when you want to dry washing setting it to the narrow so the air flow is more concentrated there is also two settings for this purpose(energy saving which is for summertime use when its likely to be more warm and drier in your house & turbo which is for winter time, and I would imagine uses a lot more power whilst in this mode, the power wattage ranges from 350w,p,h, to 650w,p,h, so it will be a significant item to run and will show up on your electricity bill if like me you use it 24/7 (a.t.m.)in auto mode when it reaches roughly 55% rh it toggles itself into quiet mode and if the humidity goes down further I believe it switches itself off untill the humidity raises which it claims can save you up to 40% on your electricity consumption though so far I have not witnessed it switch itself off completely though I have seen it go into the quiet mode a lot when its placed upstairs.
It has brought the humidity down to 50% or so (I leave it running downstairs at evening/nightime and put it upstairs in the day) but this rises to 60% rh or so during the day and has been pulling out 4.5 litres of water out of the air and walls per day, its been nice not to have condesation on the double glasing as it was a chore de misting them in the morning and then drying out the shammi leathers and cloths ready for the next morning, so far its turned out to be a good purchase and hopefully Ecoair have fixed the faults of the previous models like bits falling off and heating elements packing up after a couple of months of use,if not I'll be back on here adding bits to this review. ;-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, poor after sales support and smells vile when in use, 15 Nov 2012
Papillon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I already have a top end Mitsubishi compressor style dehumidifier Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16VX-E1, I wanted a second dehumidifier for downstairs that was more portable and compact, 13kg is a bit of a back breaker to cart up and down the stairs everyday! So I chose a desiccant dehumidifier and this little model is attractive, lightweight and compact. It also performs very well. Overnight in an unheated house it captured around 1 litre of water in 4 hours, out performing a much bigger refrigerant dehumidifier but utilising over twice as much power per hour. In the same situation my Mitsubishi captured 750ml of water in 5 hours but used 275 watts/hour compared to over 600, so in terms of overall running costs the Mitsubishi is slightly cheaper but the Eco-airl captures the moisture in fewer hours.

Disappointingly, the smell coming from the unit during operation was so unpleasant neither myself or my partner were able to tolerate it. It's exactly like burning electrical components, whilst we had been reassured it was perfectly normal and not toxic it was hard to ignore. It does clear pretty quickly once the unit switches off but is bad enough to disperse throughout a 3 bed terrace whilst in use. The pdf manual I read prior to purchase stated this would happen when the unit was first in use and 'periodically' thereafter but would quickly resolve. After 3 days I contacted Ecoair and they said it would be over 2 weeks before it diminished, in my view far from quickly. After perusing the internet for reviews I noted some reviewers stated the initial smell can persist for over a month, some said indefinitely to some degree. We decided it was something we couldn't tolerate. Puzzlingly, many reviews don't mention a smell at all, perhaps it's one of those things you either have a sensitivity to or not? I did ring a dealer selling several different brands in desiccant dehumidifiers and he said they all created a smell during use, which is due to the Zeolite material used as a desiccant so it's not just the Ecoair brand. If you are purchasing the unit for use in a garage, caravan, outdoor utility room etc, then it wouldn't be an issue but think carefully before choosing this for use in your home.

What really clinched it however, was the poor build quality of the unit. We didn't notice initially as the unit was running on carpet but as soon as it was placed on laminate it had a noticeable wobble. Whipping out the spirit level and placing the unit on a perfectly level surface it was definitely the bottom of the unit which wasn't level! Since it operates a fan whenever in use, the fan soon sets up a rocking movement and audible vibration. We contacted Ecoair who arranged to collect the unit and to refund the purchase cost once they established the unit was not level. UPDATE: just followed up the refund (6 days after they recieved the unit back) with Ecoair and they tried to claim nothing was wrong with the unit. Anticipating a problem I had made a video of the unit rocking prior to courier pick up. I put a spirit level on the surface adjacent to the unit and produced a rock using a single finger. It was only after I mentioned the video that the customer service officer agreed to an immediate full refund. It helped that I bought it via Paypal and mentioned a Paypal claim! They then wanted a copy of the video even though they actually have the unit available to inspect themselves. We had already agreed before returning the unit that I would get a refund (minus return carriage) if the item was not faulty and a full refund if it was. Unexpectedly I was then discussing whether I could get a refund at all. Luckily I taped the original conversation. I contacted Ecoair within 2 days of recieving the unit so was well within the 7 day inspection period allowed by DIstance Selling regulations. NOT IMPRESSED! An item is only as good as the after sales support and I can not recommend the Ecoair team!

So in summary, a good performance but disappointing build quality in a compact, lightweight unit, that disperses a smell of burning plastic when in initial use and 'periodically' thereafter! Not for us unfortunately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desiccant Dehumidifier DD122FW MK5, 9 Mar 2013
I bought my first dehumidifier about 8 years ago upon the recommendation of an ENT specialist for blocked sinuses.

However, this winter I haven't put my central heating on in the hall and bedrooms and didn't realise, until I did some research, that my refrigerant dehumidifier does not work at all well in low temperatures. We were waking up to windows dripping in water, which we couldn't understand. We very reluctantly came to the conclusion we needed to purchase a desiccant dehumidifier and decided on this particular product.

We haven't looked back!! It is fantastic, no more dripping windows, on 'medium' it is much quieter than the refrigerant one we have and the water is easy to empty out of its container, which is full each morning. It is also smaller and neater than my old one. We understand the running costs are a little higher with the dessicant models but this machine is so efficient we only need to pop it on just before bed time and switch it off when we get up, which will offset the fact that I used to leave the old one on 'auto' all day.

Having a very keen sense of smell I was a little worried about buying this particular product because of some of the comments about it giving off a sort off 'smell' on occasions. I have to say that this hasn't happened with my machine and we are extremely happy with the purchase and would recommend this product to anyone whose property suffers from damp, waking up to moisture on windows and particularly anyone suffering with breathing difficulties when sleeping. Would recommend every time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally worth the money, 8 Jan 2014
After the recent heavy rain we had bad leaks round two of our windows which soaked into the walls. After removing the wallpaper (which practically came off by itself) we used this dehumidifier in the rooms. After just 2 hours of use the large water collection tray was half full!
The walls were dry after a few more hours and baring in mind the continued rain, I think this is amazing. It's saved us money in the long run by reducing the long term damage so we can fix the issue. I never expected it to be THIS good! Totally worth every penny. Not looking forward to the energy bill though :/

3.0 out of 5 stars Small but also limited., 21 Nov 2013
Bought this to go into a dry outside building. Because of the lower temperatures I did not buy a refrigerant dehumidifier that I have had several experiences with over many decades. In comparison this is not as well built: has a small reservoir but is more portable. The main disadvantage is that it cannot be used on a timer to run for a few hours every day. It has to perform its own shut down and using the inbuilt timer eg 2, 4, 8hrs, it will not come on agaian until you manually reset it. Leaving it on means that the fan runs all the time, whether it is needed or not. Overall an expensive unit to run for my purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars DD122FW Mk5 Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 Oct 2012
At first this item was particularly smelly, but, once the "newness" wore off it was great. It is very efficient and lowers the humidity very quickly. Allover quality and finish is excellent, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Small wonder!, 12 Oct 2013
G. Wylie "george11171" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Our old, stone built cottage has thick rubble walls and certain areas are inclined to suffer from condensation during the winter months especially, even though our central heating system has worked wonders over the years we have lived here. Why I didn't consider buying a dehumidifier before is a bit of a mystery. Recently, I bought a small thermometer/hygrometer station which I moved about the house to try and specify the more vulnerable areas. The results indicated that a dehumidifier might well help to improve the situation. After much research, I finally chose this one and, at the outset, I have to say that I am highly impressed with its performance.

It arrived beautifully packaged with a concise, but clear, instruction manual and was ready for use straight from the box after removing the small, transit tapes that had held the water container secure. On retiring for the night, I positioned it in the hallway outside our bedroom, switched it on, set it for 8hours, selected the ioniser and chose the economy setting to see what would happen. The lilac coloured lighting display clearly indicates the presence of the machine and provides a visually soothing night light. I was surprised at just how quiet it was. Before dropping off, my wife, who has difficulty breathing at times, commented on the greatly improved air quality in the bedroom.

Our weather has suddenly turned chilly and we had experienced frosts the two previous mornings. I was awake when the machine switched off on time and the first thing I noticed was the total lack on condensation on the bedroom windows. Windows throughout the house were also clear. The second thing was the encouraging drop in humidity on checking the thermometer/hygrometer in our bedroom. It had fallen from the 72 to 57 per cent. But the most surprising thing was the amount of water the humidifier had collected from the atmosphere. The container was over half full. Clearly, the very attractive Ecoair not only looks the business, it does the business. The next thing will be to check out how reliable it proves to be over time. I hope to update this review in due course.

A couple of other things which may prove helpful to a prospective purchaser. It is compact and quite light. My wife has no problems in carrying it about and the controls are intuitive and easy to master. Finally, on registering online, I noticed that the Ecoair only seemed to have a one year warranty although the Amazon site indicated 2 years for machines purchased after September this year. A quick call to the very friendly Ecoair support confirmed that it has a 2 year warranty. To settle my concerns, they sent me an e-mail in confirmation. During the first year after purchase this warranty can be extended up to a total of 5 years if you so desire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, reliable, quiet, recommended, 19 Jan 2014
I have been running this unit for 2 months now without problems. We were getting a lot of condensation on the windows of our 1930s semi and a little black mould. I bought a humidity meter at the same time as buying this dehumidifier. I run it for 20mins in morning during after showers, for a couple of hours when clothes are drying on laundry mode and for 2 hours when we go to bed. Humidity has gone from 62% to 51% (below the 55% that I'm told is required for mould to grow). The basic mode is quiet enough that it can be on the other side of an ajar bedroom door and not be heard. Its impressive how much water it pulls out of the air.

ARRAY(0xabe18fe4)