Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 8 July 2013
I've had loads of lessons but have never got much better until I read this book. This book explains the swing in such a simple way it’s impossible not to improve your technique. I especially like the photo of the grip which really gets it across how you are meant to stand to the ball. It’s a great book and a fascinating read. Well done John Hoskison for making the swing so simple. His book ‘NO Hiding in the Open’ is also a brilliant book about his days on tour. If you’re looking for a gritty, humourous read - try that one as well.
on 20 June 2013
Apologies to John, I thought I'd already reviewed his cracking book, must have been too busy outside using what he told me in this book - things that nobody else had said.
Someone once said of John Hoskison that when faced with a bottle-neck fairway he was the only one who ever just stood up and bashed it through it. This is how this book is. John's a good writer, and has thought immensely long and hard about this book. It's not 'another' book on golf swings. John tells you why, and gives you choices, adding directions that REALLY work.
I have never read anything that explained why the forearms need to be level in the impact zone. Or what 'hitting against a strong left side' is. As two examples of absolutely vital contact fixes, they show what this book does. John could have gone on and on about anecdotes and this and that, great hotels, travels here and there. He's no interest in telling us that. He knows what works, he just tells it, using some very illustrative metaphorical imagery too which I appreciated.
I've been asked a lot which book I think should be a main fundamental of learning golf. I always say this one. It's that good. I hope I've surprised the author in saying that. I am measuring that simply in how it helps people understand how to get out of swing thoughts and into moving the ball how and where you want it too. My second favourite is Nick Faldo's 'Swing for Life', and third McTeigue's 'Effortless Swing' (Jim Hardy's Plane Truth in fourth). That's some company to keep, no?
on 29 April 2013
Came across this book by accident and boy I wished I had found this a long time ago. I knew in my mind that when playing golf, even though I could never put together a mind blowing score, I kept saying to myself that what I was doing was the right way. After reading this book, it felt everything I had been doing over the last 20 years was the same way as the book explains. The mistake I'd been doing all the time was not being patient enough to let it work. I would go out for a round and it would take the first 6 holes just to connect everything from this book into my golf. Now I know why I always play the back 9 of any round far better than the front 9. All in all, buy the bloody book and you won't look back !
on 8 October 2012
A great guide for everyone. I was deeper into the details and technicalities of my swing than I thought. A few pages into John's book and it was clear to me that I'd been making mountains out of mole hills. The simple techniques and clear writing style really helped me get alot from the book and get back to the crux of all my problems. Read the book over a weekend about a month ago took a quick look at a few videos of my swing. It was easy to compare to the guidance in the book and remarkable easy to change. Much more so than the uber complex modern swing guides. I'm striking it great!
on 3 September 2014
I'm sure this book was written for me. I've read loads of golf instruction books but this is the only one that has made all the difference to my game. Now I use it as a great reference guide and keep going back to it to refresh my memory when things go wrong. I'm a left hander but have always played right handed with certain degress of success mingled with lots of frustration. Now, I'm finally starting to enjoy my golf with more consistency. So well written with great insight and friendly speak but firm instruction. Lower Your Score follows in the same vein.
on 26 May 2013
There are many books available on the mechanics of the golf swing but this is one of the best I have read. It has just the right amount of technical as well as practical advice to help you groove a more reliable swing, something we are all looking to do. John Hoskison’s own experiences of trying to work through a swing flaw early on in his career make very interesting reading. An excellent book that left me feeling optimistic, that I can continue to improve my swing and play better golf.
on 28 September 2012
This book gave me some great tips. After reading it and taking just two of the tips in it out on the course with me in a comp. i shot my lowest ever score on my golf course. Some might say it was coincidence, but i really believe it was the way the author actually explains things in plain English and not in golf talk which is a language i don't understand. If you are struggling with your game or are just beginning i would recommend you read this. What have you got to lose.
on 8 April 2013
No, I've been reading golf books for over 40 years, I change my swing and my swing thoughts more often than I change my socks (and my socks get changed almost indecently regularly) and I do so because things work, for a bit, and then they stop working. But I've just read John's book and I've learnt so many new elements to the golf swing that I feel and believe a large chasm has been crossed. This book is extraordinary. It will change my golf for ever.
on 2 December 2012
A Great golf instructional book which simplifies a technical game into analogies to benefit any golfers game. Excellent value for money when you think you cant buy a golf magazine these days for under £3, which only gives you partial advice. Having read many technical books on the game, this book is a refreshing change to the golf way of thinking and easy to understand and implement. Highly recommended if you are struggling with this addictive game!
on 22 June 2013
A short step by step manual. You really can build a swing you can trust, if you follow the instructions, practice is the key. For the first time, I know where my clubhead is any time during the swing. Has taken 6 shots a round off my game to date. I am confident this will improve my scores further as time goes by. For a very modest investment you get fantastic results.