4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
Detective Michael Gideon and his K-9 dog, Sirius, work out of LA doing what they do. During the course of their introductory call-out (to us, that is), both are badly burned in a fire but manage to capture their murder suspect.

After recuperation, they are given a supposedly softer job which, troubled by his physical condition, he accepts with enthusiasm,...
Published on 7 Dec 2012 by Michael Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Trial by fire
Difficult to imagine the reality of the traumas experienced by the main character whether by fire (twice) or by physical assault.However I enjoyed the relation between him and his dog.

As an octegenarian I found the activity and recovery rate of the battered main character hardly plausible. Macho young men would probably rate this book highly.
Published 20 months ago by A.G. Lintott

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Saw me through a couple of days, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Quite enjoyed this book. Some grisly parts but not enough to deter this squeamish reader! A good story that has helped me pass 2 days of suffering with a light.

5.0 out of 5 stars you won't find any love story in this book, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
you won't find any love story in this book. The writer is sparse sharing his character feelings but he has a short but original approach to his novel. I have to say, that Alan Russel has greatly surprise me, specially when this book has been the first book I have ever read from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book this rating as it was a book I enjoyed reading but I could put it down rather that stay up all night reading. The main character was very likable and believable I would purchase a book by this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars As soon as I saw this book I had to have it, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
As soon as I saw that this book was available I downloaded it and I haven't been disappointed. The first time I heard of Russell was in a Michael Connelly book several years ago (Connelly in turn gets his own mention in this book) and for me these two writers bear comparison. Unfortunately up until now, Russell's books have not been widely available in this country

I like a crime novel to be well-written and not too violent and Russell provides a book that is both. The novel has two "heroes" in it (maybe three if you count Lisbet, the main female character) not just Gideon the detective and narrator but just as importantly Sirius, his dog. Fortunately (I speak as a dog owner) Sirius is allowed to be a dog and act in that way although he is definitely a partner to Gideon rather than a subordinate.

The book has three crime stories interwoven and while the first provides both the title from Gideon's nightmares about his escape through fire ("That's how it is with me. I keep burning. I am the burning man")and the manipulative eminence grise on death row, to me it is the discovery of the abandoned baby at Angel Flight which is the core of the book.

Burning Man is also set against a background of the Santa Ana winds. To quote Chandler, "There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge." The craziness of the Red Wind seems still to exist.

Do I think it's a good book? I was given Ian Rankin's latest book at Christmas and it had to wait for me to finish this novel, that's how good it is. And just to back that up I've already downloaded "Multiple Wounds" and "Shame," his other two books that have just been released on Kindle in the UK.

I'm glad to see that the book is getting good sales, Russell deserves to be much more widely known. Perhaps this will be the catalyst.

Two final comments. First, read the interview between Russell and Connelly at [...] secondly Alan Russell is a tremendously funny man, try reading "No Cats, No Chocolate" and "Road Kill" the stories of Russell and Ken Kuhlken on the book signing trail, they had me laughing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
An excellent story with good characters. The plot was very good and the main character is very good. He is flawed but manages to retain a believable personality. I look forward to reading other stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for hard boiled crime lovers, 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I like dogs. I like hard boiled crime. This book scratches both those itches. There's a bigger story here, and this book feels like the introduction to it. Looking forward to reading more

5.0 out of 5 stars It was very good, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
i found this book funny and witty with an extremely good plot, the only problem for me is that the murder is not explained enough. But overall brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Burning Man, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
A very good story, well two really, thought provoking and involving, difficult to put down. I would recommend it to any reader with a heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
This was an easy, yet captivating book. I like the authors style of writing and would recommend this book to those who like crime novel's.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. Liked his style of writing and the thread running throughout of his relationship with Sirius, his dog.

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›