5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book for brilliant (or other) english teachers!, 27 Aug 2006
Ross Cotter - See all my reviews
However you see yourself as an English teacher there is something in this compact and intelligent book for you. What Trevor Wright does is to keenly focus on interactive and practical approaches to teaching English and gives superb examples of good practice. It has the strength, like all good training, of reinforcing your own good practice and extending it.

As a book for serving English teachers it is invaluable to suggest new approaches to texts, differentiation, drama, classroom involvement and so on. For trainees it is essential! It is the foundation of a good PGCE course on its own! I will certainly make it required reading for my trainees. Buy this book, it will be money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for trainees and experienced teachers alike, 29 May 2007
I am reading this book in preparation for an English PGCE, and I'm finding it hard to put down. It's written in a way that makes it throughly enjoyable as well as informative, as it's packed with quotations and anecdotes. The book is a little pricey, but well worth the money if, as I'm sure they will, Trevor Wright's experience and insight are going to help me to teach even nearly as creatively and effectively as he writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, especially to us still in training!, 22 April 2007
K. Archibald (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be packed full of excellent practical advice which has already come in useful. Everything in this book is designed to be put into use in the classroom, unlike many other similar books which give nothing more than theoretical ideas which have more than a few dependent factors.

Trevor Wright will help you to put those ideas you have for your class/lesson into practice and show you how to make an ordinary lesson into a brilliant lesson. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's the real deal, 22 Jan 2012
I confess, I haven't read this book. But I was one of Mr Wright's students, at high school back in the 80s, and there's no question in my mind that he was the best English teacher I ever encountered. The mere fact that he taught me how to love Shakespeare would have been enough, considering my reluctance! But that was just one of his great qualities, and I have no doubt he's got plenty of wisdom to impart.

I've been a full-time author now for many years, and it's no exaggeration to say that probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't encountered Mr Wright at just the right time of my school life. Thank you, sir :)

5.0 out of 5 stars tired teacher, 1 Oct 2009
Fiona J. Holt "Tired Teacher" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a couple of months ago and read it within two days, even after all the marking! It's easy to read and contains a wealth of practical ideas that are easily transfered to the classroom. I found the sections on teaching short and extended texts especially useful; my classes have really benefitted from them.The drama section was less useful and a little too theoretical in places- I definitely felt a real shift with the new author. My copy is now highlighted, well-thumbed and on loan to others in my English Department. I can't recommend the book highly enough, it's pepped up my teaching after 20 years in the classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable!, 1 Aug 2010
Pablo (Co. Down/ Navarra) - See all my reviews
This is the best introductory book on English teaching you will ever read. It's clear, it's accessible and its points are superbly argued and illustrated. It deals with all the key issues of English teaching from Shakespeare and poetry to classroom management, explaining and contrasting good, bad and 'brilliant' approaches to each one, always backing this up with sound pedagogical reasoning. Wright's approach is based on simple principles - setting objectives, planning, structure and focus - and he shows how the intelligent application of these can revolutionise each area of teaching. Importantly, the approaches outlined in this book maintain at all times empathy with the pupil and consideration of her/his understanding and retention. And virtually every page contains a helpful hint or pointer. Quite literally this book is unbeatable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some useful tips, 23 Nov 2013
A good book to have in your teaching repertoire. Divided into manageable sections making it easy to dip in and out when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for newly qualified teachers, 9 Mar 2013
Studying for a pgce one can get miss the bigger picture in trying to become an effective teacher. This book brings into focus those skills and how to deploy them in the classroom. With so much to learn in the first year this book always condensed and focused my attention on the teaching as a skill rather than just what knowledge I had to dispense in the class. All the anecdotes and tips throughout were so helpful that I wish I had read this at the time of my pgce rather than the end of my first year as a nqt .

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 1 Aug 2012
The best book I've read about teaching English - by some distance.

Trevor Wright has an easy, fluid style which is immensely readable and easily understandable. His book is filled to the brim with practical advice and usable ideas - he inspired and influenced my lesson planning on almost every page, encouraged me to try new things, take risks and approach the subject from different angles.

An inspiring, wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars *************************** BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 25 Feb 2007
This is book is absolutley briliant for anyone training to become an English teacher. Wright's style is just perfect for this kind of book. You feel as if you are having a chat with an old friend at times through this book. It is crammed with useful tips and annecdotes that make you think about you're own expereinces of schools. A must for everyone.

ARRAY(0xb68d0fd8)