5.0 out of 5 stars Another 'tour de force'!
Published on 4 May 2012 by A P Wetherall

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book with recipes
A good book with recipes, photo's and good ideas but the detail is not enough. I figured this would provide me with in detail information about how I can acheive good flaky pastry but it doesn't, so Im quite dissappointed.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs. John

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 'tour de force'!, 4 May 2012
A P Wetherall (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
Richard Bertinet is one of those rare people who is not only a master of their craft but also gifted with the ability and enthusiasm to pass on their knowledge to 'lesser mortals' such as myself. Having devoured all three of his previous books and had the pleasure of attending his 5 day Bread course in Bath I was looking forward to this book with great anticipation - and it does not disappoint.

Instead of getting bogged down in nomenclature (shortcrust, flaky etc) he simply discusses "Salted, Sweet, Puff and Choux". The first chapter is devoted to making these basic four types with all you need to know about filling forms, tartlets etc, blind baking, storage and so on. Subsequent chapters deal with the many uses to which these four basic types can be put. The instructions are very clear and always have a view to resolving the problems that put so many people off pastry making. I particularly liked the 'bonus' recipes for pork pies (jelly with port!) and the touchy subject of Cornish pasties!

The book is a beautiful artefact illustrated throughout with superb pictures. The cover is particularly striking.

His writing style is a pleasure to read and it would be difficult to see how the subject of pastry making could be put across in a more clear, reassuring and comforting way. His introduction expresses the hope that this book will encourage everyone to make pastry a part of their domestic routine and I believe he has succeeded admirably.

I would doubt that there is a better introduction to the subject out there!

p.s. this is his first book not to include a DVD; the accompanying videos are available on his website: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration - bucket loads, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
As soon as this book arrived I just had to dive in. Who wouldn't with a picture of a 'milly filly' about to be eaten on the front cover. My husband looked over my shoulder as I oohed and aahed at all the glorious photos. He put in his order straight away - an almond tart (Amandine) and pear tartlets (Pear bourdaloue). Let me assure you they tasted as good as they looked.

I already have Richard Bertinet's three other cook books, which are all inspirational and have recipes that even a moderatley good cook (whoops 'baker') can follow with ease and this book is no exception. He starts the book explaing how to make salted (shortcrust pastry for savoury dishes) and sweet pastry followed by puff and choux pastry. The rest of the book is devoted to mouth watering dishes using these pastries that are within the capabilities of anybody interested in baking. You can make pies, tarts and pastries to equal any you see lining the shelves of french patisseries. Go on, have a go and I'll be surprised if you're not as smitten with this book as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I knew about pastry and until I read this book!, 25 Sept. 2012
Miss M (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
I spent two days with Richard in a class at his cookery school in Bath and just prior to that I bought his book Pastry. I can now make beautiful pastry with little effort. Richard has taught me how to make the crispiest & flakiest pastry ever with no soggy bottoms! His techniques are simple yet effective. For years I have read cookery books and watched endless programmes of top chefs and cooks supposedly telling you how to make the best pastry. Richard informs you of the best butter to use, how to soften it without getting it warm, how to flake into the flour (and no you don't rub it until it dissapears and forms tiny breadcrumbs like most chefs tell you to do!) I like his down to earth approach and he makes things seem so easy, which they are! The book is full of tips and useful information, together with beautiful pictures (and one for every recipe which is great to see what the finished product should look like). My creations look exactly the same as the photos in his book. The doughnuts are divine. The apple tarts are amazing. The fruit tartlets look like they should be in a French pattiserie window! Buy this book and you'll never be afraid of making pastry. I recommend his cookery classes but the book itself teaches everything you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, 9 Jun. 2012
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
This is an excellent introduction to pastry-making by an enthusiastic chef/cook who has helped many of us get back into bread-making with his inspiring books (Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads [With DVD]) By Bertinet, Richard (Author) Hardcover on 01-Oct-2005 and the more adventurous Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth into. As with these two earlier books the photos in Pastry make you want to get cooking. The sequences of photos showing what your pastries should look like at different stages will be very useful to novices perhaps wary of making pastry. It's not difficult if you follow a few simple rules, take you time and weigh ingredients accurately.
My only negative comment is that quite a few photos show pastry that to my eyes look over-fired, but this may be something to do with the colour balance of the photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
This book is a fantastic reference book for bakers, everything you need to know about pastry is included.
As with his other publications it is beautifully photographed with clear ,calm and reassuring instructions.We are shown each process, including how to make pastry with a food processor and by hand, hurray we don't all have gadgets and sometimes still have to do things the old fashioned way! Then we are talked through rolling out, resting , lining the tins and blind baking.The recipes are divided into sections for,salted,sweet,puff ( I found the section on puff pastry very helpful, it covers several pages with very detailed directions and pictures of each stage)and choux pastry as well as some more unusual offerings such as spelt biscuits, sweet churro's,croustillants and nata's ( divine portugese tartlets ) there is a large selection of savoury recipes.Anyone who is nervous about pastry or has had bad experiences (that includes me ) will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pastry (Kindle Edition)
Richard Bertinet is a master in the kitchen and his books have a cherished place in my library. The pox on Amazon's requirement for X amount of words before accepting a review!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
i purchsed this book with a couple of Richards other books.
ive broused through the book but not made any of the recipies as yet but going to do a couple for christmas.
like his other books very well Illustrated and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastry, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
I have found this book to be really useful. It has photographs of each key stage of the recipe which are very helpful. The strawberry tart recipe is a particular favourite. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions and recipes that work., 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
I enjoy baking and purchased this book to help refine my skills, I'm about half way through now and every recipe has given me a clearer insight into how to improve my technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastry by Richard Bertinet, 1 Jan. 2013
G. Kronfli (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastry (Hardcover)
Pastry by Richard Bertinet is probably the best book on pastry I have seen, and I have seen most. It covers all types of pastry and gives recipes for all the gateaus, quiches, tarts etc. that I know of and quiet a few new ones, all explained ina very straightforwrd and easy to follow manner. Highly recommended.

Pastry